Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Default What brought you to the Dark Tower series?

For me it was the idea of a giant, mysterious quest, that involves deep connections to our own world and interconnected universes. How about everyone else?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I've always liked tales filled with adventure too. The idea of A Quest! has always hooked me, hence my love of Lord of the Rings and the Otherland series, as well as Arthurian mythology. Also, I love stories dealing with all-encompassing, epic friendships/relationships like we see with Roland's ka-tet. (That's also why I love It and Dreamcatcher so much, too.)
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    I've always liked tales filled with adventure too. The idea of A Quest! has always hooked me, hence my love of Lord of the Rings and the Otherland series, as well as Arthurian mythology. Also, I love stories dealing with all-encompassing, epic friendships/relationships like we see with Roland's ka-tet. (That's also why I love It and Dreamcatcher so much, too.)
    Definitely, and for me when I started it, it was with the second book and there was this feeling of some kind of massive journey/quest going on that I was on the tip of the iceburg involving multiple parallel universes, it just blew my mind.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree. This totally hooked me from the beginning because it was the quest of all quests.

I remember thinking that my favorite part of the first book (I read them in order) was that thing at the end with him and well...you know.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Oops I just realized what that looked like. I meant that I started it at the time that Drawing came out. Not starting the series with that book.

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

Gunslingers. Mulitiple Worlds stacked upon mulitiple universes. Demons. A main character that was unlike other main characters I was reading at the time.

What isn't there to love?
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

When I was a child, the cover art drew me in, though I was too young to full grasp the intricacies of the books, and grew bored. I came back to them later in life because of the western-ish aspects of the books. This time I loved The Gunslinger, but was then put off by the lobstrosities and put the books down again. A few months later, Erin convinced me to give the books another try, and after getting past the intitial lobstrosity scenes, I loved the rest.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i started reading the gunslinger just because a friend harassed me about it. she didn't explain the book very well so i didnt know what i was getting into. if i knew where she was now i'd send her roses and chocolates and a bottle of wine.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I found The Gunslinger for a quarter about 3 years after it came out when I was stockpiling books to read while I was at home after the birth of my first child. I would love to say that I was instantly hooked and lured in by all of the magical things mentioned in the posts above me but it would be a lie. To be perfectly honest, I'm the type of person that will plod through any book and/or series just because it is there. It took me several years to catch on "to the big picture" and fall in love with Roland and his world.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't pass up a good quest. I've always been a fan of Stephen King and when he announced that he was going to write the last three books, I picked up the Gunslinger and haven't looked back. It is still my favorite series of all time.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My brother pretty much forced The Gunslinger down my throat while I was trying to finish reading Blood Canticle. ^^;; I kept saying "I'm not going to read two books at once!" and he kept pushing. I finally slapped him and told him I'd read it after I finished the one I was reading.
    I'm glad I did, though, because it was pretty amazing. XD
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have this thing for long tales, stories, etc. After I read The Gunslinger and saw that it said The Dark Tower Book One on the cover, I was pretty excited. The second book was the kicker for me.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't find a new Dean R. Kootz book for long and I had to read something.. so I bought the DT because I liked the title and the cover.
    What a nice story...

Roland would have understood.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

How old were you when you met Roland? I mean when did you start to read the series?

I was about 12.. and sometimes it was very hard to wait.
    Anyway it means I have known Roland and I have been following him everywhere for almost 12 years. I met him in the middle of my life.

But I know there are people out there who have been reading it for even longer.
    So?
    What about you?

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Last October

That would have made me 24 at the time.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Me and Roland met in the mid 80's. I was glad he came along, I needed him at the time.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy pol is on a distinguished road pol's Avatar

I was thirteen years old...the year was 1987...it seems like its been a long time.

I met Roland when I was 14 in 1987 and have been a Tower Junkie ever since...

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Jr high I think....
    I started reading The Wastelands in 7th grade, then realized it was book 3 in a series so I hounded my mom to take me to the library and get the first two lol.
    I lurk, therefore I am.

Country
    Country Flag

Last October
    And how long did it take you to read all the books?

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Last October
    And how long did it take you to read all the books?
    I was done by the end of November. I would have been done sooner, but I had to ship in copies of SoS and TDT.

I didn't find a new Dean R. Kootz book for long and I had to read something.. so I bought the DT because I liked the title and the cover.
    What a nice story...
    Wow, this is a first, someone finding a King book because they couldn't find a Koontz book!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    What a nice story...
    Wow, this is a first, someone finding a King book because they couldn't find a Koontz book!
    I know I know.
    Great story, isn't it?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was 14 like CK. I discovered The Dark Tower in between DT2 and DT3.
    Roland kicks ass.

Numenorean ManOfWesternesse is on a distinguished road ManOfWesternesse's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would have been around '84 I think - which would put me at about 21 or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast