Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Men (20th Century Fox)

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

the boy that ran away with him.

Spoiler:
    they are "brothers" and thats why you see them both in the civil war, ww1, ww2, vietnam.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watched this last night and i enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as Xmen in my humble opinion, but i wasn't expecting to like it so i was pleasantly surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    SG -

One Eye

I liked it. The more I've been thinking on it, I realize they ( the proverbial "they" meaning "Those who get to make my favorite comics into movies ) can't get everything right or it would take too many hours to tell each story.
    Spoiler:
    putting cyclops in for me as a stroke of genius, if they are taking mutants for experiments then - as an audience - i would have expected to see a familiar face, esp if they had taken as many as they did. - in regards to remembering logan, probabley not, as he had just been experimented on and was blind, i may be wrong but i dont think logan speaks when he is down in the cells letting them all out, so cyclops would not know who had saved them?

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post

As for Wolverine/Sabretooth: Matt thinks he read somewhere that Sabretooth was actually Wolverine's dad, but he's not sure. It sounds like there's a lot of answers for this question. Which brings me to the opening scene of the movie:
    Spoiler:
    This was awful. It was so confusing. All of a sudden it was like "omg, someone's freaking out downstairs, he pissed me off, STAB, "your mom's a ho, I'm really your father" holy shit, run away quick!
    Maybe it makes sense if you read the comics, but it was horrible to me.

Probably my last gripe with this movie.
    Spoiler:
    Diamond-hard skin does not mean your skin looks like it is coated in diamonds. Even if it looked like that in the comic, it could have been done better.

Basically, I thought this was a good, albeit pretty cliche, action movie. I love the X-Men characters no matter how cheesy the movies get, and Hugh Jackman is delicious.

I wish I had known about the endings later, we left the theater right away.
    i liked the start of the film it set up the whole relationship of victor and logan in 5 mins which could not have been easy to do.
    Spoiler:
    you get the whole menacing bullying aspect of victor when he catches up wth logan and says they need to look after each other, straight away it gives you how the brotherly relationship is going to pan out

in regards to the diamond hard skin, understand your point that it doesn't have to look like diamonds, but remember that the majority of the audience would need to be led through this film, so without having loads of dialogue explaining hard skin and what it can do, you get a visual that you recognise and understand instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post
    There was a story line, by Chris Claremont I think, but I'm not sure so don't hold me to it . . . Anyway, he was gearing up for some kind of plot where Sabretooth was revealed as Wolverine's father, but it never came to fruition and later lost and forgotten.
    i hope that this is not true, as the films begining would be completley wrong then and it would confuse an awful lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I liked the movie for what it was. I liked Ryan Reynolds, too, and I don't know why so many people don't. I used to watch Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place all the time from way back when and have enjoyed him ever since.
    i like ryan reynolds - he was perfect for the early role with the wisearse sword weilding.
    in regards to deadpool though it all went a little bit flat, someone mentioned that there was only 4 powers in deadpool, but they did say that he was not finished, but stryker wanted to use him then to kill wolverine

bonus ending 3 (just in case no one got this one, i can't see anyone did)
    Spoiler:
    stryker still walking along a road and then being arrested for murder

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

FYI :

Best Buy is selling an exclusive Blu-Ray version of Wolverine... with a collector's bust and a $50 gift card to SideShow. The cost is $42.99 plus shipping/tax.

Note: the gift card... it can't be applied to ALL things at SideShow... they have a specific pool of products you can use the card with.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought my copy yesterday and watched it last night. Jackman nails wolvie everytime. And thats not my man crush talking.
    I liked Ryans version of Deadpool, though he needs that sweet mask he wears in the comics. Why is the X adaptations so affraid of mask's?
    Gambit has been my favorite X character for years. Tyler looks the part pretty well, though Im dissapointed he had no accent at all. How about a little creole?
    Theres a lot of things that can be nitpicked regarding storylines and relationships between characters. People may feel that theres has to be a certain amount of 'Hollywoodizeation' for the comic medieum to adapt to the big screen should watch Frank Millers adaptations.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I actually ordered mine from Best Buy... can't wait to sit and watch the special features.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default X-Men (20th Century Fox)

Don't know if this will need to be merged or not yet, but I can't seem to find anywhere a past X-movies thread for it, oddly enough.
    I found interesting this take on recent rumors from the shooting for X-Men: Apocalypse:
    cinemablend.com/news/See-Young-Cyclops-Jean-Grey-Jubilee-More-Set-Photos
    (Many other sources also covered the same images, for the record.) This writer says
    ...the second shot has (Jubilee) clearly wearing a yellow leather jacket. It's without question the outfit she is best known for wearing, and it looks like X-Men: Apocalypse is paying tribute to that.
    It's so funny to me that by this point, no one seems aware that Jubilee's best known outfit was already a (joke) tribute to the Robin outfit of classic Batman comics. In a satire within self-satire within another satire at the time of her introduction, she became Wolverine's helper when the rest of the team was lost while he was too busy having adventures in his own title to be with the X-Men all at the same time. Putting her in green shorts and a yellow jacket was obviously representative of that function in a dynamic duo. Well, for nobody to get it or even really know about the original point anymore just makes it even funnier as it continues.

Anyhow, I am annoyed that the lineup for the past incarnation of the team in this new movie seems to ignore that the school in the earlier movies already had a character who was supposed to be young Jubilee, plus there was a young Angel in X-Men: The Last Stand, and Jean and Storm clearly had never met Nightcrawler before in X2. Are they going to explain these repeats? If a younger Nightcrawler now joins sooner because history changed in the Days of Future Past movie, that's okay -- but I want to see something about the differences in timelines. It drives me nuts when filmmakers (or book writers, for that matter) can't be simply self-consistent at all.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

To me, this franchise sort of went off the rails a while ago. I read comics as a kid and returned to them somewhat when my son became interested (Death of Superman/Carnage/X-Men: Phoenix era). It also drives me nuts how they seem to borrow storylines willy nilly. I still enjoy an "X-Men" movie, but have kinda suspended any thought of continuity in my mind. Lately, I just view each as a stand alone entry which, I think is kind of sad. In the day, "X-Men" seemed to have great stories. Now they all seem bundled up to me. Then again, I suppose I am getting too old for this stuff!!! LOL LOL I'm too casual about it these days. Maybe I'll get the juices going again when my, grandson is into it!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Death of Superman and the Breaking of the Bat storylines were childhood comic cornerstones for me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In the comics, "Days of Future Past" was also a kind of mocking self-commentary. Stan Lee established alternate worlds in early Fantastic Four issues to let him tell time travel stories. You could go back to the past and change things, and then return to your own time without anything having been made different for you. So, after the death of the first Phoenix, the X-Men writers flipped that script: people started coming back and changing the X-Men's time from futures that would never exist. They did that because they were annoyed that the editors made them kill her off, I think. That's when the continuity in those books went off the rails. The movies are not yet so sadly bundled up, the way I see things... if that is what you are trying to say. I'm just worried that they will get more so before long.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I realize this is a "Marvel" thread, but these are kinda cool and someone mentioned the "Death of Superman" era. Was that me? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Sorry, I realize this is a "Marvel" thread, but these are kinda cool and someone mentioned the "Death of Superman" era. Was that me? LOL
    Way to go Merlin Superman>X-men.

Grew up with them too, though. Sold off some of my key issues but still have some. Haven't liked an X-men movie yet. I guess I found Wolverine Origins entertaining (I'm in the minority here) but haven't seen the latest or The Wolverine. It just felt like other than Jackman as Wolverine, which I think is phenomenal, they just shit all over every character and story. Except killing Cyclops, that I approve of.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked "Crisis on Infinite Earths." The first Crisis. Mother of all reboots. Superman is good sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    killing Cyclops I approve of.
    The movie version, you mean, or any version? They have often gone out of their way to make his life more interesting, because he's a plain character with an iconic power: Most of the time, they want just to have him in the comic and yet they always have to find something to do with him. Cyclops is like Stan Lee's first idea for combining the escapist fantasy of superpowers with the very self-pity that motivates that escapism in the first place. Heat vision (obviously stolen from Superman) given a brilliant twist. What could better express what a mutant is in Marvel mythology?

I've always thought it's appropriate that the films revolve around Wolverine -- he should be the main character -- but I do agree that, ever since the first film, they've underplayed too many others. Maybe in Apocalypse we will finally get to see what makes Storm cool instead of having to just take Patrick Stewart's word for it. e.g. "I trust you to take over if anything ever happens to me."

And have you seen First Class? That's gotten a lot of credit for keeping the series afloat. When rumors about it first came out, I heard that they were going to do "X-Men Origins: Magneto" ...and that is basically what it was. Younger actors as younger versions of the older characters showing how the team and the conflicts began in the 1960s. So then the latest was a time travel story where the older ones change some things meant to happen to the younger ones so that the director of the first two movies could erase the third one now that he is back.

My rankings, best to worst:

X2: X-Men United
    The Wolverine
    X-Men: First Class
    X-Men
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Days of Future Past: The Movie
    X-Men: The Last Stand (aka X-Men 3 or X3)

That's just me, though: Few people who have seen DoFP would place it so low. It was a big hit. However, despite all the many flaws in X3, I probably would have gone ahead with Storm in charge. That would be a good movie. Leave Professor X dead, too, for a while. Some of the coolest comics were in the era where it was just her, Wolverine, Rogue, and maybe some Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Beast, etc.

I've pointed out before, in our comic book forum, that Origins: Wolverine seemed to fix how they had "shit all over the character and story" of Sabretooth, then turn right around and shit on Deadpool. One thing I liked about it, though, was the way it ended firmly continuous toward the set-up of the original film. (As long as you're willing to accept that the Sabretooth in that film is a different guy from the one in this story.) Do we really have to say "screw continuity" because too many things have gotten messed up and a good story is more important? If that's so important, then why can't you just pay attention the first time, ya dumbasses?

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My ranking:

X-Men 3: DOFP
    X-Men 2 (almost a tie with the above, actually)
    Wolverine (2)
    X-Men
    X-Men:First Class
    Wolverine: Origin
    X-Men 3: Last Stand

Props go to DOFP for retconing the awful X3. I really wish Singer hadn't gone off and done Superman Returns, especially after setting things up as well as he did in X2. The Wolverine had a few issues, but I still really enjoyed it. I pretend Wolverine: Origins never happened. I rated the first film as high as I did because that was, to me, the first truly well done Marvel film. I'm very "meh" on First Class. Loved the casting, but I wasn't so hot on all the liberties that they took with the back story.
    I'm kinda curious how Deadpool will turn out...

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's my ranking (it's the opposite of convention):

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

X3
    X2
    X-Men
    First Class

The only reason I liked X3 was because it basically accepted the first two sucked, then made fun of the series and killed off a bunch of characters, which I approve. I was an 80's baby so I grew up with Wolverine as an X-Men, and that means Cyclops often acted like the uptight prick while Wolvie was the rebel, which as a kid I could relate to. Still can to a certain degree. My dad loves Cyclops, ever since the beginning, and I get that. My favourite characters were Wolvie, Iceman and Gambit. To make Iceman and childish pretty boy in the films ruined him for me, and to exclude Gambit also annoyed me. So when Origins rolled around I was stoked to see him included, as well as focusing on my favourite character of this iteration of X-Men. The Deadpool change kind of sucked, but I did like Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, and I never followed his comics as much as the X-Men, so it didn't bother me as much.

A good part of my taste in these is based on nostalgia from the late 80's and early-mid 90's comics and cartoons. Really I just don't think Singer is a good director either, the structure and characterization in his super hero flicks (Superman Returns was an even more atrocious abortion) is severely lacking. Is he even a comic fan? It doesn't seem like it.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wolvie was the rebel, which as a kid I could relate to.
    That's normal. And so he's a popular character.

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    My ranking:

X-Men 3: DOFP
    X-Men 2 (almost a tie with the above, actually)
    Wolverine (2)
    X-Men
    X-Men:First Class
    Wolverine: Origin
    X-Men 3: Last Stand

Props go to DOFP for retconing the awful X3. I really wish Singer hadn't gone off and done Superman Returns, especially after setting things up as well as he did in X2. The Wolverine had a few issues, but I still really enjoyed it. I pretend Wolverine: Origins never happened. I rated the first film as high as I did because that was, to me, the first truly well done Marvel film. I'm very "meh" on First Class. Loved the casting, but I wasn't so hot on all the liberties that they took with the back story.
    I'm kinda curious how Deadpool will turn out...
    All I can say is my estimate of DoFP will go up if the sequel is good.
    And I don't want Deadpool to pretend Origins never happened. It can be fixed intelligently if there's any intelligence at the studio.
    I think you expressed the majority opinion, which is healthy for a thread like this. Thank you.
    Nevertheless, I stand by my initial questions. Will there be any logic to the changes they make in Apocalypse? Hope so; if it inexplicably remakes half of the elements, then they might as well just start the entire series all over again.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Wolvie was the rebel, which as a kid I could relate to.
    That's normal. And so he's a popular character.
    No way!

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And he's a Canadian!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mind = Blown

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Personal ranking:

X2
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    X
    Wolverine 2
    X3
    Wolverine : Origins

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Personal ranking:

X2
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    X
    Wolverine 2
    X3
    Wolverine : Origins
    You didn't like The Wolverine? Biggest surprise to me here, your placing Wlv 2 at #5.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Our first look at Apocalypse for the upcoming film.

Idk about this...

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/16/firs...o-in-x-men-ap/

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Those photos look like they are really early in production. I'm surprised they released them to be honest. Definitely looks off because he's purple in some pictures and blue in others. I'm not put off by the style of the character design though, he was never going to look like he does in the comics.

Country
    Country Flag

Apocalypse looks dumb. I'm sorry, but there's just no other way to say it. From such a simple, bad ass, and iconic character design from the comics to now look like something out of a Power Rangers movie... ugh.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it's just me and that I don't have the same nostalgia for Marvel stuff as a whole as a lot of people do, but Apocalypse's original design never really seemed that badass to me (or simple for that matter).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast