Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you read The Gunslinger and subsequent issues?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No, I'm dropping it after Jericho Hill

2 4.65%
  • No, I already dropped it

6 13.95%
  • I don't know/Other

8 18.60%
Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam, have you ever seen a CGC-graded comic with a 10? I realize that such an item would be EXTREMELY expensive, but as I'm new to the comics scene, I'm just curious.

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Yes, I've seen them, and yes, they're pricey.

Honestly, you can sometimes see Locke & Key issues graded 10. ( Personally, I think it's because of the high grade cover material the IDW comics have )

I don't have any 10's in my collection, but do have 4 9.9's now.
    • The Sorcerer One-Shot
    • Captain Trips # 1 ( Mike Perkins Cover Variant Edition - 2nd Printing )
    • Star Wars : Tales - A Jedi's Weapon ( free comic book day variant )
    • Ultimate Elektra # 1
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Pam. After reading your post, it reminded me of someone discussing the Locke and Key issues being graded 10. It was probably you, but I had forgotten.

John

My Mood
    Gay

No problem, John.

I see other comics come up at 10 graded, but the L&K are on my search lists, so I see those more often. That's why I mentioned.

I think there are three of four available on eBay right now.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I came across this interview with Robin Furth (linked from Lilja's site.) I apologise if this is old news, but I think the link from Lilja's site is recent.

http://www.stephenking.pl/sk_wywiady_skpl_051.html

It actually covers a lot of stuff including the upcoming Talisman comics, but thought I'd post it here as Robin mentions the possible disparity between the different histories of Walter in Stephen King's novel and Treachery. She doesn't really explain it except to say she doesn't think there is any disparity. She does mention someone sent a message to her via Peter David. Rings a bell...

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm flattered that Furth mentions me in her interview (assuming that it is me, which I will get into later) but the sole reason why I sent the e-mail was because I was hoping I would get some sort've response from her. I sent the e-mail all the way back in April, and I never got a response, so I assumed that it hadn't been read. If she really cared that much about what I said, it would have been nice if she could have responded back. I don't think she's that busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Furth
    For example, after I wrote and scripted The Magician I received an email-via Peter David's website-about the ways in which my version of Marten/Walter's life deviated from the story told by Stephen King. The fan who penned the letter REALLY wanted us to return to what he called the ORIGINAL version of Marten/Walter's story. As you can imagine, I felt pretty depressed after receiving that note, but I took solace in the fact that Steve King loved the story, and didn't feel I'd deviated at all. (The Magician actually grew out of a conversation Steve and I had about Walter, and I was really careful to get his approval on every detail of that work.)
    Regarding my e-mail: I basically said how the new origin contradicted the old one (no mention of the rape, etc) and asked if this was going to be addressed in a future issue--that was pretty much it. If there was no deviation from the story, then she could explain how the two fit. But again, she never responded.

But hey...as long as Uncle Stevie says its good, it must be good.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

On the bright side - she got the email and took it to heart.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a feeling she was talking about you too, cyber.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Y'know, if asking her if there's going to be any further explanation regarding Walter made her depressed, its a good thing I didn't tell her what I REALLY felt about the book (don't get me started about Walter's incestuous sister) because that would have likely given her a mental breakdown.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You were *thisclose*

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

So is that Dragon Sand that Cort took?

I don't have that much problems with the new art. It looks similar enough to Lee's so it doesn't seem out of place IMO.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    So is that Dragon Sand that Cort took?
    Nah, he'd burn inside out if he took that wouldn't he? (That's a ghastly idea isn't it?)

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding my e-mail: I basically said how the new origin contradicted the old one (no mention of the rape, etc) and asked if this was going to be addressed in a future issue--that was pretty much it. If there was no deviation from the story, then she could explain how the two fit. But again, she never responded.
    I just read this on Lilja's site concerning the extras in Fall of Gilead #2:

(It's not plot related so I won't spoiler-tag it-)
    The bonus material is mostly a text by Robin Furth in which she talks about the differences between the books and the comics and why there are differences between the two.
    Looks like we might get to see some explanation after all!

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead #2 SPOILERS

I couldn't find a thread for this (although I did see some for later issues!)

I just got this today.

A nice picture of Robert Allgood on the front. I like covers that relate to the contents too.

Overall I really liked this issue. It's picking up nicely, a neat continuation to the story and a bit of action too.

The only think I didn't quite buy was the part when Steven and his ka tet are in the ruins.

Steven:...A door embedded in the wall! More of Marten's doing I'll wager!

Alain's Dad* (Burning Chris?): With respect Steven, I think you'd lose that wager. Our mistake is in thinking this to be a naturally made mountain....
    This is a fallen city, overgrown in the midst of the forest.
    he implication is that these ruins are near Gilead and these three gunslingers who range far and wide throught that country knew nothing of them.
    Unless this is another example of time and space going wonky.

It's small issue though, it's nice to see more ruins in that world. The rest of the scene was great. And it's great to see the return of a couple of characters! I was worried Furth had forgotten about them. I'm not sure they've quite got his voice right, but there seems to be a bit of duality going on which would account for that.

The section at the end explaining reasoning behind certain differences between the books and comics was interesting too. I hoped Robin Furth would discuss Walter's origins there too, but never mind. It's curious that she made mention of Rhea and the snake in the grapefruit in the novel, but not the change to a garotte in the comic. Was that her idea or further along I wonder? In my mind it's a snake anyway.

*Basically an older Alain with lip fur. Heh.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

The two-pager of the scene w/ everyone in the room is great in this, I like the black-and-white version too (maybe better).

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully it'll be something like "These comics take place on a different level of the Tower in which Oy went back in time and inadvertenly altered the nexus of reality by defecating on the rose in the vacant lot. This event caused ripples to move through time, changing pivotal events in the process."

In all seriousness, I'm very interested to hear what she says, although it'll probably be something both condescending and self-serving. Like when Peter David pretty much said he didn't give two shits what the fans thought because King approved what he wrote.

Maybe she'll address my letter? One can only hope.

EDIT: I just found out. She doesn't mention Walter's origin at all.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

It makes sense that Rhea wouldn't have her snake in the comics, being that it was in response to Roland killing it earlier, which was cut out from the comic.

That reminds me of how much Rhea's character has been cheapened in the comics--she's almost a nonentity compared to the loathsome creature in the books.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

It makes sense that Rhea wouldn't have her snake in the comics, being that it was in response to Roland killing it earlier, which was cut out from the comic.
    I thought of that too, but she had it in the books didn't she? You'd think it even less likely there since you saw him shoot it.

Not that big a deal really though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    The two-pager of the scene w/ everyone in the room is great in this, I like the black-and-white version too (maybe better).
    Yes, the black and white art is lovely.

I miss the little back stories though*. I hope we have more soon.

*Granted they're not always that good, but it's an interesting enough read.

My Mood
    Gay

Covers :

Copyright : Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
    Copyright : Stephen King
    All Rights Reserved.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Did you prefer not knowing?

Now that the comics have pretty much explained the gap between the flashbacks of Wizard and Glass and the beginning of The Gunslinger, do you prefer the mystery in not knowing, or is it better to know exactly what happened? Now that the comics are almost done, I think I prefer the latter...

My Collection

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont consider the comics canonical so they dont bother me in the slight
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with flaggwalkstheline, but I would prefer to know, if I could.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

far as I'm concerned the comics, what little I've gotten to read of them, revolve around a different Roland on a different level of the tower.

Country
    Country Flag

I think I prefer knowing. I do like mystery to some extent, but this is a story I want to know.

And I accept it as more or less in coninuity with the novels(canon if you like although I prefer not to use that word.) The less part being where it contradicts the novels in ways that can't be explained.

Where there are contradictions, I prefer to see the two accounts as being the same story told from the point of view of separate observers, possibly second hand in the case of the comic. In the same way that there are different versions of the story of King Arthur and Robin Hood, but to a far less extent as some of those legends are totally different. We don't consider which Arthurian legend is 'canon' though do we?

Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast