Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 644 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 16096

Thread: Suntup Editions

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Hehe. The silence in this thread was deafening.

(Ordered as well, of course)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

How do you take the silence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Cream, no sugar.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Cream, no sugar.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The first rule ...
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

Here’s my question to Paul:

If you were to publish Horns again, but printed offset this time, how would that affect your retail price? In other words, how much of that $675 comes from letterpress printing?

Don’t answer if you can’t or don’t want to - I’m just curious, is all.
    That is an excellent question, and one I've been meaning to ask here myself. So, while I'm here- If Paul chooses to talk about this- can you talk about what letterpress process you've been contracting? I know very little about it, but understand that there are a few different ways to do it now; something with polymer plates? In any case, I also voted for not doing it if it would "considerably" lower prices, as I believe Paul has stated in the past.
    Sometimes I wish I could just give a short answer.

There are so many production costs that determine the final retail price. If we're focusing only on printing, and comparing offset to letterpress, I can't give you an accurate answer because I don't have this book quoted for offset printing. A wild guess would put retail for the Numbered edition somewhere between $350 and $450. But that's really just a very wild guess.

More respondents went with letterpress than I would have expected. There's no exact science behind the printing process decision, but I do want to see a good mix so that not all titles are published at letterpress-type pricing. Page count is a really important factor. We have a book in the pipeline that is 800+ pages, another will likely break 1000 pages. To print those letterpress would push the price through the stratosphere, and we don't want that.

Ron, as to the technical details of letterpress, it's a subject that most times I am reluctant to speak of. It's one of those things that unless you are what you might call an 'expert', you have studied the art of letterpress printing, you have printed yourself for years, etc. it seems to me that any answer would prove inadequate and lacking. It's a dense subject. When I hear my printer speak of it, I am usually in awe at the highly technical nature of it. There are many aspects to consider. For example, if the impression is too deep on the page it can distort the type. The choice of paper is really important. I accept my limitations in such things. I rely on the expertise of others, and this applies to letterpress.

However, I will say that yes we use photopolymer plates. It's an industry standard, and the printing machine is a Heidelberg Cylinder press. You could look those up online if you want to read more about it. I'd like to print something with metal type some day, but that's a whole other discussion.

Since we're on the subject, I have a book we're working on which will be printed on a different machine; a hand-fed Vandercook press. This one is interesting, and more will be revealed in good time.

There's this video I once made when we were printing Misery, where you can see the press in operation: https://vimeo.com/272587976.
    Appreciate all of your thoughtful comments here, Paul. I've got a little project that I'm working on and have been doing a bit of research on the subject- it is complicated! Even though I voted in your survey to trade letterpress for lower prices, your passion and gut-feeling have obviously served you well thus far, and I am sure those qualities will carry you and your publications successfully forward.

And- I am very intrigued by the Vandercook project!

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Let it be the 28th, so the silence becomes a roar.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Ordered, and a good choice IMHO.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly it's Yoda's cane, not a vampire stake.
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Just out of legitimate curiosity, why do you hope for Salem's Lot?

I love the book and we all agree Suntup could make a fantastic version, but...why?
    We already have 2 editions from Centipede Press, 3 from Cemetery Dance and 1 from PS publishing(not sure if they did a lettered too).

6 limited editions of one book, 4 in the last few years, already seems like overkill to me. (Maybe that's why I barely collect anymore).
    I agree that there have been a lot of versions of this book, and I do see the edition that Centipede Press did as a "definitive version", as in "a unique and interesting treatment and if the book never got another S/L I would be happy with this one."

However, I'm just totally enamored with a good small-press treatment of books I love, and Suntup is right on the forefront of that. So to me it matters less that there have been 1 or 5 or 10 prior versions of the book, and more that it is a book I like and that I think Paul could provide a worthy take on. He could produce exclusively versions of books that already have S/L editions from other presses and I'd still be happy. Is that an optimal use of his skills? Probably not. There are a lot of other really good limited editions out there that if they are never done again I'd feel like I have a copy that I'm happy with. But the number of previous editions of a book is less important to me than (1) "is it a book I like", and (2) "do I think Paul could provide a unique version of it", hence the interest in a Suntup edition of Dracula, which has been done many other times, some very, very well (thinking of the recent Amaranthine Books release, which was excellent).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I took no offense at all to the question - it's totally legitimate and I could easily understand a different position from mine - that one might want a focus on the multitude of books that don't already have limited editions!
    Thanks, it's always interesting how we all approach collecting differently.
    Mark Twain

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't understand the need for secrecy if the general public isn't even allowed to buy the book. What difference does it make?

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just say it!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I don't understand the need for secrecy if the general public isn't even allowed to buy the book. What difference does it make?
    Everything that follows is just my opinion, and since the question was asked, I figured I'd answer as best I can.

Here's my short answer: It makes no difference if you'd prefer to just read the CliffsNotes instead of savoring the entire book.

And my longer answer: It would destroy what is at the heart of our new book announcements. In the case of the next book, there is a specific plan in place which began with Jeff Terry; particularly when he held up the paper showing a date of 9/28/19. Those who saw it are waiting in anticipation for that date to hear what the book is. If we reveal that information now, it would be like telling someone who just started reading a book, what happens at the end.

For those who didn't see the video, or who are not members or lurkers of this forum, then their first exposure to our next book would be rather bland in my opinion. No build-up, no teaser, etc.

I like the excitement it generates, and from what I have seen through emails and posts, the customers like it too. It's the enthusiasm that drives this. Creating an atmosphere of excitement around the books we publish is important to me. If it can take us away from the drudgery of life, even for a minute, then why not.

BUT, if there were a general consensus (say one that became evident from a survey we conducted) that no one cares about the "teaser" aspect of our roll-outs, and simply wants to be told what the book is, without the build-up of anticipation, the videos, etc., then yes it would make no difference, and I'd just announce books with an email.

Personally, I'd prefer to sit back and enjoy the movie.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, I don't know who Jeff Terry is. I saw some people already ordered the book before the announcement. Either that or that was some inside joke.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal what the book is, I'm just not sure what's going on exactly

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

No need to apologize. This one was just a little different in part because of Jeff’s involvement. Which came out of a comment on this forum. Maybe someone can post a link to that video. I think it was posted up thread.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    No need to apologize. This one was just a little different in part because of Jeff’s involvement. Which came out of a comment on this forum. Maybe someone can post a link to that video. I think it was posted up thread.
    Here it is. I couldn't agree with your explanation more, Paul. It's all part of the experience.

http://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry, I don't know who Jeff Terry is. I saw some people already ordered the book before the announcement. Either that or that was some inside joke.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal what the book is, I'm just not sure what's going on exactly
    Owners of a lettered/numbered (<250) edition of Brother received an email yesterday with a link to buy the next book, which will be revealed to the general public this Saturday.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Oh, you have to keep up the mystique! Absolutely. It's as fun as everything else about the books. The way this one is teased/revealed is great. And, I'm pretty sure there will be copies available for folks who don't have an inside number yet, so- stay tuned, folks...

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post

Owners of a lettered/numbered (<250) edition of Brother received an email yesterday with a link to buy the next book, which will be revealed to the general public this Saturday.
    Maybe us lucky ones need to keep our silence here as well despite our giddiness when Paul’s pre-order mail arrives. We managed that with Brother, we can do it!
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

If that's what people want, sure. On the other hand, it helps build the hype, doesn't it?

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, there will be at least one for sale. I have no interest in the book and have even less interest in the price. I guess I am just not the target collector. Even a SK book at the price would make me think twice. It's not I can't afford it, I just find myself not wanting to. The artist editions, if there are more, I will buy. And the cubes. I really like the cubes. But I just don't wee myself over the books. Sorry. They are very special, but maybe not for everyone (me).
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

The price is daunting, for sure. With the payment plan fee, shipping cost and import duties, I can add another 30% on top of it.

Such is the cost of living overseas, though. I am interested in this title and I don't want to give up my place in line, so my order is in.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can see this one selling out quickly. I'm down for the limited and gift.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

If all goes to plan, there will be five Suntup packages going out in the next six months.

It's telling that my wife, who doesn't give a fig about my collecting habits, knows Paul as "the guy who does your numbered books."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you not collect the books from Suntup? As you didn't get the link I am assuming you don't? I thought you did for some reason.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 644 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 ... LastLast