Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Terror on AMC

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah, I want to say he keeps stressing it being -30 degrees in the book. Maybe I'm off on that number, but whatever it is it's way below zero outside, and inside the ship it's still below freezing or close to it.

They could show their breath, or have them shiver, wear more clothing. There's definitely ways to convey extreme cold.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Who knew that cans could become a major cause of terror and a central plot point in a show?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am two episodes behind right now. Not a good sign.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad that there's only two more episodes. If this was a 22-episode network show, I don't think I could finish.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I got a little behind too. Almost got caught up last night, just have half the episode left to finish, and then the finale next week. I really wish they showed more of their struggles with the cold and the march south. I also don't like how they have a communication link to the native people and that Lady Silence is also in contact with them. One of the great things about the book to me was that they were so isolated up there. It really made it a much more terrifying story. Oh and I also really wish they only showed the bear in quick glimpses. It looks pretty cheesy in full view. Oh well, I'm still trying to enjoy it for what it is, and at least I'll always have the book. I can see why it might be a drag for people that haven't read the story though. Curious how they're going to end it.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like it even though I haven't read the book. As far as the "bear" is concerned, I think that the show would have been better not having any supernatural element. To me the struggles with cold, hunger, and sickness and the power struggles between the crew are more interesting than the few random attacks of the creature. You could have practically the same story if you removed the creature and just had a single polar bear attack early on and fear of another from the sailors. Of course, I probably would never have started watching in the first place without the advertised horror elements so I guess it served a purpose.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I really wish they showed more of their struggles with the cold and the march south. I also don't like how they have a communication link to the native people and that Lady Silence is also in contact with them. One of the great things about the book to me was that they were so isolated up there. It really made it a much more terrifying story. Oh and I also really wish they only showed the bear in quick glimpses. It looks pretty cheesy in full view.
    And I agree that the polar bear creature does look pretty cheesy. I also don't like how "easy" everything seems for the crew. It's like they're not even suffering. And I think I heard one of the characters say they've been there for years? Is that right? Because it definitely just feels like a few weeks.

RUBE, also agree that you could take out the Inuit mythology part and have essentially the same story.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Yes, they set sail in 1845 and it is now 1848. Their march is so hard and draining. They have to pull those sledges up and over pack ice. They have to pull them across the land. All while on very, very small rations. They're all getting sick and dying from scurvy. Making very little headway each day. The march in the show seems pretty easy compared to the book. The "terror" in the book is pretty minor as well. I did really enjoy that aspect of the story, but what they went through was far scarier than the thing on the ice.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default The Terror on AMC

Sorry if this has already been discussed. If that’s the case can you let me know and I’ll read through the replies? I’m a little over halfway through the book (first time) so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.

My wife is bugging me to watch the show with her but there’s no way I’m doing that if it ruins the book for me. Do you think it would be safe to watch the first episode or two considering I’m about 60% through the book?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's hard to show how hungry someone is or exactly how exhausted they are. I do think they are showing how bad the illness is for them and that is why I said earlier that the cans were the main villain. It also would have helped if they filmed in weather at least cold enough so that we see their breath.

As for the time element, there was a two year time jump in the first or second episode so that is part of the reason it doesn't seem like they have been there that long on the show. We don't see the monotonous time they spent stuck on those ships doing the exact same chores and eating the exact same poisoned food day after day for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Sorry if this has already been discussed. If that’s the case can you let me know and I’ll read through the replies? I’m a little over halfway through the book (first time) so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.

My wife is bugging me to watch the show with her but there’s no way I’m doing that if it ruins the book for me. Do you think it would be safe to watch the first episode or two considering I’m about 60% through the book?
    I think you should be ok if you're just watching the first two. If you're a fast reader however, then I'd say just hold off until you finish the book. The show tells stuff in a much more linear format than the book does.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post

I think you should be ok if you're just watching the first two. If you're a fast reader however, then I'd say just hold off until you finish the book. The show tells stuff in a much more linear format than the book does.
    Thanks Heather! Unfortunately I’m probably the slowest reader on TDT, so I’ll probably just watch them, and hope to be done sooner than later so we can watch the rest. Thanks again.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Country
    Country Flag

Yesterday I went with our fourth graders on a field trip to the Inner Harbor and toured the USS Constellation, the last sail-only warship designed and built by the United States Navy. I've lived in Baltimore all my live but have never been on board, so it was pretty cool. We went throughout all four decks (the top, common area, sleeping area, and below where they stored everything). The quarters were tight, the ceilings low, and all the info. about their lack of medical knowledge and working aboard the ship really makes you think how tough the conditions must've been for Erebus and Terror even without the extreme cold. The Constellation launched in 1854, so only a few years afterwards. I thought that was pretty cool.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I finally finished The Terror.

I got bogged down in the middle. I watch a lot of my shows at night, and I found myself falling asleep during episodes and having to rewatch them. This is not the kind of show that is good for night viewings.

I will say this, the show ramps up in the final 4 episodes. I thought they did a great job of portraying the hopelessness of the situation. They also did a great job of showing how desolate the environment was. I thought the show did an amazing job at the end with makeup and the acting was top notch. I felt like these guys were truly wasting away. I'm not sure I totally understand or love the ending, but I'm okay with it.

I really started hyping this show in my mind before it aired and it didn't live up to the hype, but I'm glad I stuck with it at the end of the day.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with the show. I don't know if it's my immense love of the book, or that I had hyped it up so much in my mind beforehand. There were some big changes from the story which really bothered me. Maybe if I hadn't read the book I would have enjoyed it more.

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe if I hadn't read the book I would have enjoyed it more.
    No you wouldn't have. Trust me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the adaptation and really liked the book a lot. Of course a few of the changes threw me off a bit but in the end I really kind of dug it. I enjoyed being able to SEE all the stuff depicted in a film world. The Ship, the monster, the visual representation of their weakening and sickness. I like the actors portrayals of Crozier, Goodsir and Hickey. I wish there had been more of the explanation of the Inuit mythology in the show. I really thought that added to the book. I understand it would be hard to get into that with the limitation of number of episodes.

I think i understand some folks being unhappy with this adaptation. I feel like it really required a high degree of "suspension of disbelief" which some folks were unable to do. Simmons' writing was so rich and detailed that was difficult to capture all of it in a mini series adaptation, but the depiction of the atmosphere, the feeling of dismay, and yes even the inclusion of showing the supernatural elements helped bring me into the story.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I like it even though I haven't read the book. As far as the "bear" is concerned, I think that the show would have been better not having any supernatural element. To me the struggles with cold, hunger, and sickness and the power struggles between the crew are more interesting than the few random attacks of the creature. You could have practically the same story if you removed the creature and just had a single polar bear attack early on and fear of another from the sailors. Of course, I probably would never have started watching in the first place without the advertised horror elements so I guess it served a purpose.
    I don't really agree with this. In The Terror, Simmons undertook a supernatural explanation of of one of history's unsolved mysteries. There have been numerous straight ahead adaptations of the Franklin expedition.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the...mc-1202854102/
    AMC has renewed horror anthology “The Terror.”

The second season of the show will tell the story of a specter that haunts the Japanese-American community during World War II in the homes of Southern California, the internment camps where many were held during the war, and in the Pacific theater. Season two is created and executive produced by Alexander Woo (“True Blood”) and Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island,” “Godzilla”), with Woo serving as showrunner.

“’The Terror’ has given us the opportunity to take a unique approach to the anthology format. We loved the concept of beginning with an actual historical event and overlaying it with a fictional horror element, and we are immensely proud of this show’s combination of cinematic scope and intimate character work. We are thrilled to announce a second season and dramatize one of the most chilling and important events of the 20th Century, guided by the vision of the gifted Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Our deep appreciation goes to the persistently creative and passionate showrunning team of David Kajganich and Soo Hugh, the incomparable Ridley Scott and the rest of the producing team, and the outstanding cast led by Jared Harris for launching this concept and leaving us on the precipice of terrifying new adventures as we continue with the next chapter of ‘The Terror.’”

Woo, currently in an overall production deal at AMC Studios, added, “I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period. We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”

“The Terror” is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. Executive producers for the series are Ridley Scott, Dan Simmons, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the...mc-1202854102/
    AMC has renewed horror anthology “The Terror.”

The second season of the show will tell the story of a specter that haunts the Japanese-American community during World War II in the homes of Southern California, the internment camps where many were held during the war, and in the Pacific theater. Season two is created and executive produced by Alexander Woo (“True Blood”) and Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island,” “Godzilla”), with Woo serving as showrunner.

“’The Terror’ has given us the opportunity to take a unique approach to the anthology format. We loved the concept of beginning with an actual historical event and overlaying it with a fictional horror element, and we are immensely proud of this show’s combination of cinematic scope and intimate character work. We are thrilled to announce a second season and dramatize one of the most chilling and important events of the 20th Century, guided by the vision of the gifted Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Our deep appreciation goes to the persistently creative and passionate showrunning team of David Kajganich and Soo Hugh, the incomparable Ridley Scott and the rest of the producing team, and the outstanding cast led by Jared Harris for launching this concept and leaving us on the precipice of terrifying new adventures as we continue with the next chapter of ‘The Terror.’”

Woo, currently in an overall production deal at AMC Studios, added, “I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period. We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”

“The Terror” is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. Executive producers for the series are Ridley Scott, Dan Simmons, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.
    That sounds like an interesting premise. I hope, however, they don't try to turn this into some type of political platform. There is more than enough of that in the "news."

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone watching The Terror Season 2? The first episode didn't hold my attention very well, but I will be back for a second episode.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the first ep and liked it a lot.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I thought I was paying attention, but I didn't know it was back.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Is anyone watching The Terror Season 2? The first episode didn't hold my attention very well, but I will be back for a second episode.
    I loved the first episode, both the story with the Japanese mythology and the fantastic cinematography.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3