Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 2000s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I see Feev has already declared The Dark Knight as the eventual winner. I dunno. This is a very wide open decade with no clear favorite, in my opinion. Lots of great films to choose from and The Dark Knight is only one of them. But what do I know, I didn't think Shawshank would win the 1990s.
    Incorrect. 1408 will run away with it.
    I think you meant The Mist

For me, the top five movies of the decade were probably The Departed, Apocalypto, No Country for Old Men, Munich, and Spirited Away. That's from a ranked list I did six years ago, but it still feels right.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I see Feev has already declared The Dark Knight as the eventual winner. I dunno. This is a very wide open decade with no clear favorite, in my opinion. Lots of great films to choose from and The Dark Knight is only one of them. But what do I know, I didn't think Shawshank would win the 1990s.
    Great movie and I love the directors cut. Much more intense and the ending. Oh that ending.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I think you meant The Mist

For me, the top five movies of the decade were probably The Departed, Apocalypto, No Country for Old Men, Munich, and Spirited Away. That's from a ranked list I did six years ago, but it still feels right.
    I have the mist but have yet to watch it. Maybe tomorrow.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man, I was on vacation without internet so missed the whole nominations process.

Also, I would've nominated The Terminal as well. I love that one.

Mike.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, Ricky, but the nomination process went way faster than I anticipated. We finished in six days. It took us 14 days for the 1990s.

I hope a lot of what you would've nominated made it in?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it seemed like you guys finished up pretty quickly. But yes, there's a ton of great ones nominated that I'm happy with. It's going to be hard for sure. Wish I would've been around to second Underworld, Insomnia, The Skeleton Key, and National Treasure.

And who nominated The Happening?! I need to give them a stern talking-to.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

With how huge Denis Villeneuve is these days I'm a little surprised his 2009 movie Polytechnique went un-seconded. Has no one seen it? I also nominated his first feature film for the 1990s tournament, and it too was overlooked. If y'all are fans of his (Enemy, Arrival, Sicario, etc.) then these are must-see. Every movie he makes is different but it's always an engrossing watch.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Man, I was on vacation without internet so missed the whole nominations process.

Also, I would've nominated The Terminal as well. I love that one.

Mike.
    I was wondering where you were! I was going to message you.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I was at sea! Had my phone on Airplane Mode to avoid roaming fees.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Bummer, I was wondering where you were. Glad you had a nice vacation at least
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it seemed like you guys finished up pretty quickly. But yes, there's a ton of great ones nominated that I'm happy with. It's going to be hard for sure. Wish I would've been around to second Underworld, Insomnia, The Skeleton Key, and National Treasure.

Ricky, feel free to mention any others that weren't nominated that you would have nominated, just as honorable mentions and such.

The Skeleton Key is a very underrated film.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

1408 is really good. That director did another great film called Evil which I recommend. Forgot about Capote and Good Night and Good Luck and still thinking about ones I missed. I really wanted to second Russian Ark but got here too late. It's a really good list though. Thanks for wrangling us all in, Mae and keeping order.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

oooh and Frost/Nixon and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, man! This decade really is brimming with terrific cinema.

I think it's safe to say we all like a bit of horror in our entertainment, so I implore everyone to give the unrated version of Inside a chance if they can. It still shocks me every time I see it and without giving too much away, it is a rarity among the horror genre for one very specific reason.

Country
    Country Flag

The 2000s was a great decade for sure. That first half produced a lot of very specific kinds of movies I don't think are being made anymore. At least not in the same way. I'm talking about movies like Donnie Darko, Session 9, The Machinist, Memento, Identity, One Hour Photo. Very dark and twisted tales.

Our current decade has some outstanding cinema as well. And as big of a comics nerd as I am, I do hope our 2010s nominations are not full of superhero movies. It's a big part of the decade, for sure, but it's just a part. Looking over my lists on Letterboxed for the following decade I'm already anticipating some painful decisions on what to nominate. But that's gotta wait till January...

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Still Servant hopefully will grace us with his wonderful analysis of actors with multiple nominations like last time
    We shall see.

When does the worst films of the 2000s tournament start?
    Those eliminated in round one should automatically qualify.
    That's not fair though because most of the films that bow out in the first round will be great films that most people aren't familiar with. The films that move on will be average films that are popular like Resident Evil.

With how huge Denis Villeneuve is these days I'm a little surprised his 2009 movie Polytechnique went un-seconded. Has no one seen it? I also nominated his first feature film for the 1990s tournament, and it too was overlooked. If y'all are fans of his (Enemy, Arrival, Sicario, etc.) then these are must-see. Every movie he makes is different but it's always an engrossing watch.
    It's the only Villeneuve film I haven't seen yet.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's get this show on the ROAD.

Mae, when we starting?

My Mood
    Cool

Ricky, feel free to mention any others that weren't nominated that you would have nominated, just as honorable mentions and such.

The Skeleton Key is a very underrated film.
    Agree with The Skeleton Key. A very creepy movie. I would have seconded that but it just got lost in the shuffle.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Mae, when we starting?
    Next Monday. Check out my post yesterday in the Overview thread. I'm still gathering the necessary posters and trailers, and this week should give us plenty of time to catch up with any nominees we haven't seen to make our voting fairer.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Mae, when we starting?
    Next Monday. Check out my post yesterday in the Overview thread. I'm still gathering the necessary posters and trailers, and this week should give us plenty of time to catch up with any nominees we haven't seen to make our voting fairer.
    As with most of these movie tournaments, there's no way I'm going to have time to catch up on the 170 nominations I haven't seen.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    As with most of these movie tournaments, there's no way I'm going to have time to catch up on the 170 nominations I haven't seen.
    Just watch My Little Pony: A Very Minty Christmas and you will be all set.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. I've only seen about 80 on the list. I might be wrong, but for the Sci-Fi tournament it felt like we had a longer time between nominations and actually starting the tournament. I remember watching a lot of nominations that I hadn't seen yet so I could be a more informed voter. Wish there was a period of "Movie Catch-up Time" before actually starting the tournament so everyone had a chance to watch some they hadn't seen yet.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Before posting the remaining films from my list, I wanted to mention that the most surprising thing to me during the nomination process was the absence of The Patriot. I always thought that was a beloved film. There were so many mainstream blockbusters that got nominated, that I was shocked to see nobody nominate it.

Anyway, here is my list of films that didn't get into the tournament.

Primer
    Sexy Beast
    Rachel Getting Married
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
    Hunger
    Timecrimes
    Cassandra's Dream
    Bourne Ultimatum
    The Manchurian Candidate
    Mysterious Skin
    Revolutionary Road
    The Good Shepherd
    Knocked Up
    Crazy Heart
    Savages
    Brick
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    Black Dynamite
    The Proposition
    Frozen River
    Inside Man
    Sunshine Cleaning
    Tsotsi
    Days of Glory
    Blood Diamond
    Unfaithful
    Half Nelson
    The Believer
    Shoot 'em Up
    Big Fan
    The Memory of a Killer
    The Cooler
    Brothers
    Anchorman
    Reservation Road
    Role Models
    I Love You, Man
    Reindeer Games
    The Whole Nine Yards
    Perfect Storm
    Rush Hour 2
    Bandits
    The Mexican
    We Were Soldiers
    Equilibrium
    Old School
    Phonebooth
    Owning Mahowny
    Out of Time
    Garden State
    Man on Fire
    Taking Lives
    Open Water
    Ray
    Unleashed
    Wedding Crashers
    Red Eye
    Rocky Balboa
    Stay
    Derailed
    Red Eye
    Alpha Dog
    Disturbia
    Jindabyne
    Angel-A
    Atonement
    In the Valley of Elah
    Rambo
    The Bank Job
    Stop-Loss
    The Strangers
    Wanted
    Zack and Miri Make a Porno
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    State of Play
    Pandorum
    The Messenger
    An Education
    Team America World Police
    Lucky #Slevin
    The Midnight Meat Train
    11:14
    Pride and Glory
    Havoc
    Nothing But the Truth
    Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

Country
    Country Flag

Anchorman is a big one I'm surprised wasn't nominated. It wasn't on my list cause I was sure someone would nominate it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's OK tho cause we got My Little Pony in there, LOL.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll actually make a good-faith effort and check it out. I've seen some MLP stuff but not that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast