Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Not that the Tolkien and Misery stuff wasn't enough (gosh, for me it's incredible). Still looking forward to that other item.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful. Love the white keys. Congratulations Alec your collection continues to amaze

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Remarkable stuff!

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    As Alec mentioned I had the opportunity to visit him again yesterday and as always an extremely enjoyable way to spend a day. Aside for the excellent company of Alec and his good lady, (not to mention the very enjoyable lunch) I also got to see, in person, some of Alec's new acquisitions.

On some of these, my lips are sealed (sorry) but I have the greatest pleasure in being able to show some photos of a rare item indeed. One that I'm sure most of the collecting community had no idea even existed. For those that aspire to be 'completists' I say good luck on acquiring one of these!

Two seemingly identical Lettered Misery boxes...

Is the top left corner of the traycase on the left a different color wood? Or is it a trick of the light/photo?
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

It is a different colour, however it is still one piece of wood as I believe all the lids were. This has either been sanded or planed a little heavier, thereby showing up an odd pattern in the colour of the grain.

Thank you for the positive comments and the same to Simon for a most enlightening and enjoyable day.

Mike this is the rare item.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Got you Alec. It is pretty impressive that you have a PC Misery. I did not even know they were out there. This is the only one I have seen. Sorry it seemed like I was not impressed because I am very impressed. Congrats again on such a unique item.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Gotcha, that’s cool that it’s not symmetrical, gives it a little spice. Love that pair, man, congrats!
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Such beautiful Tolkien artwork, Alec. I know you are proud of this part of your collection, and rightly so! Tolkien collectibles, especially those signed by Tolkien, are amazingly beautiful!

I'm glad to finally see your black and white Misery PCs. They inspire me to keep on searching for the elusive gems out there. Thanks for sharing and kudos to Simon for his photography skills!

John

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The keys on the Misery cover is such a nice touch.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Each time I click on this thread, I have to take a deep breath and be prepared to have a small brain embolism. Signed LOTR pbs, a pair of lettered Misery's ... sweet baby Jesus. What can I say - I love this thread!

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

What a tour de force of recent collectibles! The proof of the Fellowship of the Ring is the single most impressive collectible I've seen so far, anywhere. Amazing. Congratulations, Alec!

Also, I have to whole-heartedly agree with lotuz about the presentation of the LotR omnibus volume. The design and cover is really evocative of the fantasy genre to me.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

The pair of Misery lettered state with the black and white keys and The Lord of the Rings signed softcover appear to have garnered some interest and further very generous comments, much appreciated and many thanks.
    I do have to agree with Rooster that the proof copy of The Fellowship of the Ring was for me a milestone in Tolkien collecting.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as I can say, ALL your items in this thread deserve great comments!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cool

I hope to pick up Tolkien some day. But I agree. This is such an amazing collection. Congrats again Alec.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From october to feb, the french national library, in Paris, will have an exhibition dedicated to Tolkien
    It will include 300 pieces, numerous manuscripts and original drawings by Tolkien
    The entrance seems to only cost 16€

I figured that it may interest some fans here
    > https://www.bnf.fr/fr/agenda/tolkien...erre-du-milieu
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Thank you so much for the information Jeremy.
    I had not seen this at all, so very grateful to have it brought to my attention, and as you say it will probably be of great interest to other people on the site.
    Many thanks, much appreciated.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    From october to feb, the french national library, in Paris, will have an exhibition dedicated to Tolkien
    It will include 300 pieces, numerous manuscripts and original drawings by Tolkien

Thanks very much for posting this! I will be in France in October ... but sadly, leaving about two weeks prior to this opening. Hopefully if it is successful, they will tour the exhibition elsewhere.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

Thanks very much for posting this! I will be in France in October ... but sadly, leaving about two weeks prior to this opening. Hopefully if it is successful, they will tour the exhibition elsewhere.

HBJ
    Marquette University, the world's largest repository of Tolkien's manuscripts, papers, and ephemera, (or at least the largest repository of LOTR material - I'm not sure if the Collection at the Bodleian Library at Oxford has a greater amount of non-LOTR material) is a few hours away from me (in Milwaukee, WI), and is providing many of the pieces for this display. For those of us in the Midwest, they are accessible year round and hold "special" showings regularly throughout the year in which exceptionally rare pieces are brought out. Shamefully, I have not yet been to a special exhibit. Definitely something to check out! Though some of the pieces in this thread (the proof!) are probably just as rare as some of what you'll see in the Collection...

The Paris exhibit appears to be a "best of" that combines pieces from Marquette, Bodleian, and other sources, and is probably the best way to see the highlights of both collections without having to take a trans-Atlantic trip. Needless to say I am jealous of those that can make it!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I believe the Bodleian Library has primarily non-LotR material - mostly First Age material and non-Middle-Earth content.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

HBJ
    Marquette University, the world's largest repository of Tolkien's manuscripts, papers, and ephemera, (or at least the largest repository of LOTR material - I'm not sure if the Collection at the Bodleian Library at Oxford has a greater amount of non-LOTR material) is a few hours away from me (in Milwaukee, WI), and is providing many of the pieces for this display. For those of us in the Midwest, they are accessible year round and hold "special" showings regularly throughout the year in which exceptionally rare pieces are brought out. Shamefully, I have not yet been to a special exhibit. Definitely something to check out! Though some of the pieces in this thread (the proof!) are probably just as rare as some of what you'll see in the Collection...

The Paris exhibit appears to be a "best of" that combines pieces from Marquette, Bodleian, and other sources, and is probably the best way to see the highlights of both collections without having to take a trans-Atlantic trip. Needless to say I am jealous of those that can make it!
    Marquette is worth the trip.
    I went to one of the showings a couple of years ago and the curator mentioned a then upcoming exhibit in NYC combining pieces from both collections. It sounds similar enough that I assume it must have traveled to Paris.
    If you're curious, I believe I posted details on the pieces that I saw in the Tolkein thread down in the other authors section of this forum.

Alec, fantastic collection!
    Mark Twain

And incidentally, congratulations, Alec, on all the truly wonderful Tolkien items. The signed volumes are just stunning, and that ARC is simply mind-blowing.

I'm not a Tolkien collector, just an avid reader, and amateur student of the works published posthumously. I'm so happy that these items still exist and are in the hands of someone who clearly appreciates them.

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to Gerald on his facebook page, an uncorrected proof copy of The Lord of the Rings went for auction today and sold for £9.5K
    Which do not seems like an outrageous price in my opinion. Kind of seems cheap, actually.

I hope that it was Alec that bought it
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to Gerald on his facebook page,
    ...but why would any of us want to visit that?

I too hope that it was Alec who won that auction though. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He didn’t.
    I called him to seeeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I did not bid on this copy as Kris correctly states.
    The end price was £12,700 approximately with auction fees. It is a very reasonable price for a book this rare, although it does not have the paper dust jacket with it. The condition was acceptable for an uncorrected proof of this era. It seems they were all read years ago, unlike the majority we see today. Expect to see it listed shortly at around £25,000.
    Thank you to those members who hoped that I was the purchaser, very kind thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast