Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Sherlock

Anyone else really looking forward to this? Just caught the trailer, and right now I'm feeling really excited about it, which is more than I can say than when I saw the trailer for Guy Ritchie's movie!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQq_bC5kIw"]YouTube- BBC Sherlock Trailer[/ame]

Come on, I can't be the only one liking the look of this new series!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Let me know how it is. Hopefully we'll get it out here in the near future.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Absolutely. Ordinarily, I'd be very, very skeptical of a Sherlock Holmes adaptation set in the modern day, but with the two names of Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss listed as scriptwriters, any skepticism is thrown out the window and is turned into jam on the pavement far, far below. I'll expect I'll be raving about it Sunday night to make all you American folk jealous, hopefully!

The only thing I am dissapointed about hearing is how short it's going to be, which even by UK standards is short: 3 one hour long eps. 3 eps?!? What the hell?!? There better be more later in the year, that's all I'll say!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wow, that is really short. That's what we would call a miniseries And what else has Mark Gatiss done? He's done some Doctor Who, but what else?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

He's mainly known over here for his work on dark comedy series The League of Gentlemen, in which he both co-wrote and starred with other comedians whose names I can't remember! He's written a novel series about a bisexual Edwardian spy called Lucifer Box, which sounds so awesome that I have to read them sometime! But with all his open obsessions of great literature, including Charles Dickens, and his dark sense of humour, I think he could make a Sherlock Holmes series work. He's gonna have to: Moffat's so busy, I think he's pretty much left Sherlock in Gatiss's hands!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh! Not 3 one hour eps: 3 90 minute eps! With absolutely no adverts, that's practically a movie every week! God bless this country and it's flexible tv lengths!

- Melike

Well that's not so bad then

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, that looks cool!

Though I fear I may differ with you on opinion regarding Sherlock adaptations....I LOVED the Guy Ritchie movie this winter. I think it was mostly due to Robert Downey Jr., but I saw it four times in theatres..

But only 3 episodes? Wow...that is short. That just makes me sad...knowing that the DVDs will still be exorbitantly priced for a very short viewing time...not that it will stop me from buying them, of course
    Tell me how it goes, certainly! I'm jealous that you get sooner that us...but we still get a ton of shows before you, I suppose it's fair..-ish?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, it is fair with British icons, at least. Goes double for Doctor Who too, although you only have to wait 2 extra weeks for that now, so that's not so bad! Just as long as us Brits get to see it first!

And I'll be honest, alkanto: I've yet to see the movie, I just know that the trailer for it didn't impress me as much as this one for being a faithful Holmes adaptation. Maybe I'll see it soon, but...Robert Downey Junior as a British icon? Great American actor, but still: American, and seeing Sherlock Holmes fighting instead of using detecting skills?!? You can imagine my skepticism about that!

And 3 episodes isn't so bad if each episode is 90 minutes long. Really, the price will be worth it: that's about 4 and a half hours viewing time! Of Sherlock Holmes! 3 movies is definitely worth it, I think!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as the newest movie goes, there is a nice mix of physical and deduction crime solving involved. I've read the books (well, most of them...) and it seems fairly true to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock...well, at least as accurate as Hollywood has ever made something...:rollseyes:

it even goes so far as to include him being an opiate(? - sorry, it's been a while, I don't remember the exact drug of choice) addict, being slightly...off at times, and knowing some basic combat skills. Anyways, he's not the classic figure made out in many movies as smoking a pipe and standing around looking at things until the crime is solved...

As far as price goes...It depends. Are your promised 90-minute episodes that length with or without commercials? But, like I said, I'll probably buy them anyways!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's BBC, so there's never any commercial interruptions, thankfully! The only adverts they do show are for their own programmes, and that's the single minute between where one programme ends and another's about to start. Like I said, god bless this country and the BBC!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, having just watched the first 90 minute episode of Sherlock, I'm here to give a quick, spoiler-free review of what I thought of it. Let's start of with the obvious: a modern day update of Sherlock Holmes, with Dr Watson using an internet blog to tell his stories and Sherlock using text messaging to solve crimes is, let's face it, a pretty sucky idea, and therefore any programme made from such a sucky idea would inevitably be pretty sucky itself.

Unless, of course, you've got two of the best writers in British television, both of whom are die hard Holmes fans and with one in particular being so good he had to turn down Spielberg, working on it!

The first episode (although let's be honest, at 90 minutes is more of a tv movie) was brilliant. Benedict Cumberbatch was perfectly cast and perfectly written as Holmes, still spotting the tiny details that everyone misses and still being the eccentric, bonkers yet easily bored genius as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had envisioned, only this particular version of the character uses nicotine patches instead of a smoking pipe. Martin Freeman as Watson is also a perfect choice of casting: for once, we don't have Watson the idiot, as a ton of adaptations have liked to do, but Watson the experienced soldier and trained doctor who's both fascinated by Holmes and is eager to join him in his adventures. There's also a new dimension given to the character, but I won't spoil what that is for those who've yet to watch it.

The story, A Study in Pink, is also a perfect reimagining of a Holmes/Watson "origin story", for lack of a better description. Although the title suggests it's similar to original novel A Study in Scarlet, it's not, but it does have plenty of wonderful references to not just the novel but plenty of other Holmes stories, too. If fans are worried that it's something of a camp parody from looking at the title, don't worry: the story is as dark and clever as many a classic Holmes story.

It's not just the story itself that's so fantastic, though: with a wonderful script by Steven Moffat, there's currently a ton of quoteable lines running through my head right now, but the problem is there's so many that it's difficult to pick one at random!

The only problem? One down, two to go. Unfortunatly, in the UK, our season lengths are a little more flexible than in the US, usually being so short it's the biggest reason why we call them "series". Still, on the plus side, three 90 minute tv movies with the faintest trace of an arc isn't too bad. Can't wait for next week! I still don't know how good the Guy Ritchie movie was last year, but I'll tell ya this: I very highly doubt it's a better and more worthy adaptation than this!

Oh, and I know that wasn't a quick review, but considering how fantastic this first ep was, it's the best I can do!

- Melike

Are the eps all related to each other, or are they going to be stand-alone films?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

From the first episode, there's the slight suggestion that they're gonna be related, but barely. I'd say they're mostly stand alone from the looks of things, not ending on cliffhangers or anything, but there is the idea that there's a greater scheme of things, from the looks of the first ep.

Especially when one particular name gets mentioned.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hah, can't wait until I get an opportunity to watch it! It sounds fantastic, even from the limited, spoiler-free review you gave. (It was a very good review...I just LOVE spoilers; ergo, something without any doesn't hold my interest as much)

By the way, if you happen to have a spoiler-filled review, feel free to send it my way

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Do you have netflix, alkanto? Because if you are gonna have to wait a while to watch Sherlock, then there's a ton of stuff written by Steven Moffat that I can recommend. Not least being Jekyll, like Sherlock a modern day reimagining on an old British classic. Have you watched any of his stuff, at all?

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As much as I am wroth to admit it, I don't have Netflix...But I really want it.
    I've been toying with the idea, especially now that I am getting into more obscure films/actors/everything, but I'm not sure...would it be worth it?
    And I know it's around $9 per month unlimited, but are there cheaper options than that? I'm afraid if I start the free preview month I won't be able to stop, and on a college student's, budget, well... Might not be realistic

But, no. I haven't watched any of stuff, that I know of. I'm not one to go off of names, much less remember them unless it's an actor, unfortunately. I can remember every guest actor on a show I watch, but can't remember my neighbour's name. It's bad. But I will probably have to look him up and see if I've seen something of his. I'm sure I have, but like I said, I was probably blissfully unaware at the time.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't know if there's a cheaper way really, I'm not the netflix expert. We don't get it in the UK, unfortunatly, but from everything I've heard, it sounds pretty ideal, especially for a mega geek like me! The only reason I asked is that it's definitely the cheapest way (legally, at least) to catch up on great British shows with episodes written by Moffat, especially Doctor Who, which is my favourite show ever, but even I admit, the box sets are really pricey! (Not that that's ever stopped me from getting them on the day of release, of course! ) With Netflix, you can just choose and select the episodes you want online with a lot of shows, so it just seems the best way of watching some good telly.

If you ever do plan to start the one month free trial at least, let me know, and I'll PM you a list of everything to look for by him that is nothing short of awesome. Admittedly, most of those are Dr Who eps, but it's only because the guy is a genius when it comes to writing classic British icons. No, sorry: make that a genius full stop!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...from what I looked up online, I think the base price is simply $9...but I don't know. I might have to sign up anyways, given my current movie list, and the dismal selection at my local Blockbuster.

I'll probably go ahead and get it, actually. The selling point was that I can watch movies on my laptop - no waiting! Plus, I can cancel any time I want, should funds find themselves drained. So, feel free to PM me any suggestions. I can't wait!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, it's over already. BBC bastards! One of the best shows in a long time, and they decided to keep it short! Well, better short and perfect than long and fucking dragged out, I suppose, but even I think 3 eps is almost ridiculous. Even with 90 minutes per ep (I'll expect it'll be a full 2 hours in America with all the commercials, though) could you commision just a couple more episodes next time, BBC? Please? Well, I suppose I can't complain: after watching the Guy Ritchie movie (of which you can find my review/nitpicking of it in the "Rate the last movie you saw" thread), watching the third episode of Sherlock immediately afterwards really reminded me what a breath of fresh air it was. As if I needed reminding!

Right, I know I didn't do a review of the 2nd episode (which was also awesome and also the kind of story you'd only get in Sherlock Holmes, btw), but the 3rd was so fantastic I'm just gonna skip right to that. But where to begin?

Well, first there's the plot. With no interesting cases to solve, Sherlock Holmes is bored at home, shooting at the wall. (And no, that's not a euphemism: he's actually shooting a gun at his wall.) Nothing interesting is happening in the slightest...that is, of course, until a bomb blows up opposite 221B Baker Street.

What happens next is one of the most incredibly fast paced and plot driven 90 minutes I've ever seen in my life. From the moment the first explosion happens, Sherlock isn't allowed to stop deducting and solving crimes for a single minute. From beginning to end, Sherlock has easily the toughest couple of days in his life, and therefore unsurprisingly, he's enjoying it completely. Even when dealing with a very dangerous and very clever maniac, he's clearly loving it.

Oh, but who is this maniac who's taunting Sherlock? Who could this criminal mastermind possibly be? And does he make an appearance at all in the show? Now, I know alkanto wants some spoilers, but actually...that's all I'm gonna give! Sorry, but I really don't want to say anything more about the plot, only that it moves so fast and packs so much in it it makes a season of Lost look slow and straight forward by comparison, and that in the final ten minutes, you will not only go "Holy shit!" at the shocking twist, you will also be screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" as the end credits roll and your neighbours are banging on the walls shouting at you to shut up. In a good way. Well, maybe not in a good way, but in a way that only really good television can make you scream like that. Roll on Series 2! (And considering the critical and ratings success of the series, there's no doubt in my mind that the BBC will commision more episodes. They can't commission them soon enough, though!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right then, fantastic news and bad news for Sherlock fans!

The fantastic news is that a second series has been commissioned! Unfortunatly they're still only 3 ninety minute episodes for the entire series, so on the one hand I'm slightly dissapointed that there's not gonna be more, but on the other hand? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and considering how each episode of the first series not only felt more like a brilliantly paced classic adventure of Holmes than the Guy Ritchie movie did but also recieved rave reviews, if they can keep it up for the next series, that's fine with me.

What's not quite so fine is that it won't be until Autumn 2011 until we see the new series! That's a fucking year away! Ah well. Series One just got released on dvd in the UK a couple of days ago, so I'll be more than happy with watching those over and over again. Especially The Great Game - fucking hell, was that magnificent telly!

Link to the official announcement btw is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11124783

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright...so how much money will I be wasting for myself on Christmas for British tv shows?

Way too much, I say. But do I care? Nah!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Tell me about it! I'm gonna be spending a shitload on just British dvds over the next couple of months. First Sherlock, then the release of Doctor Who: Series 5 in November, and I haven't even bought the amazing final series of Ashes to Ashes on dvd yet! Hell, I'm gonna need to spend even more on stories I've already got on dvd: a special edition box set of some of my favourite classic Who stories is out in October! Can't miss that!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only difference being that you don't have to pay out the ass for shipping...well, for UK DVDs, anyways. Ever get ones shipped from over here?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Only once, and that was for the Sam & Max cartoon series. I'm such a massive fan of the computer games, I had to check it out, but it wasn't available in the UK like most stuff! A lot of american tv and films get released around the same time on dvd here as in the US, but for the lot that doesn't I normally just wait a while until it does, Sam & Max has been the only time I've had to get it from overseas.

I'll tell you how lucky you are in the US, though: despite taking years for the show to get released in the US on dvd, you've easily got the best edition of Spaced there is! Although the UK box set I've got is loaded with special features like commentaries from the cast and director Edgar Wright and documentaries, the box set available in America comes with extra special guest commentaries for different episodes, including one done by Kevin Smith and another by - and I'm really surprised by this one - Quentin Tarantino! I so need to get myself a copy of that set!

- Melike

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast