Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I have to say, Mike is one sweet guy...we just spoke on the phone and next week we are trading our Regulators Lettered editions so that I will now own "JJ" with check made out to Betts Bookstore. I am THRILLED....Suffice it to say we did an even trade but I think Mike might get a couple favors from me in the coming year.
    Can you tell us how much the check to Betts Bookstore was? and what the memo line reads? and how did Richard Bachman come to find Betts? Does he collect SK Books? Just Curious!
    Check was for a "Limited Edition of the Regulators", $325

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say, Mike is one sweet guy...we just spoke on the phone and next week we are trading our Regulators Lettered editions so that I will now own "JJ" with check made out to Betts Bookstore. I am THRILLED....Suffice it to say we did an even trade but I think Mike might get a couple favors from me in the coming year.
    Can you tell us how much the check to Betts Bookstore was? and what the memo line reads? and how did Richard Bachman come to find Betts? Does he collect SK Books? Just Curious!
    $325.
    Ltd. ed. of The Regulators
    Bachman gets around
    Bachman collects Bachman books.

As always, the Catalog is your friend:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...tors+The+-+S+L

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default art mimics life

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    $325.

Bachman gets around

this is actually based on the fact that King did buy his own books from betts. He bought all of his family sets of s/l Dark tower books from Betts. so in fact, Art does mimic life
    like King, Bachman also buys his collectable books from Betts

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    $325.

Bachman gets around

this is actually based on the fact that King did buy his own books from betts. He bought all of his family sets of s/l Dark tower books from Betts. so in fact, Art does mimic life
    I love everything about this story. Mike, very cool of you to straight-trade your book to David!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Favors are always good to have...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think King bought very much from Betts. Stu once told me that King bought some early Doubleday first editions for family members from him. Didn't hear about the DT books but it could be that he did. King's relationship with Betts was strained (to put it mildly). When Tabby caught the proprietor dumpster diving behind their house gathering up shingles from the remodeling job it didn't go over very well. In 1998 King agreed to do a book signing for BAG OF BONES at Betts thinking that it would be mostly Bangor residents among the 200. It turned out to be mostly people from all over the country (all good customers of Betts). Marsha told someone (iowabob, maybe?) that King was really pissed over that and said that was the last signing he would ever do at Betts. All of the later signings in Bangor were held at Book Marc (sp.?) which was owned by a friend of Tabby's. Occasionally Stu could get a few books signed by King at King's office but I get the feeling that he did so reluctantly. It's too bad that Stu's exuberance in running his business landed him, at times, on King's bad side. But if you have followed King's career and business dealings you know that it doesn't take much to feel his wrath, even if it is frequently undeserved. You can ask Jerad at Centipede Press about that.

The fact that a check from the limited edition of THE REGULATORS is made out to Betts Bookstore is solely because Peter Schneider (who made out the checks) is/was a friend of Stu's. Peter sold many, many King related items through Stu and Betts Bookstore. Of course, Peter has also joined a lengthy list of people on King's bad side. But that is a story for another day.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    But that is a story for another day.
    Tomorrow is another day!

Thanks for the insight Bob.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting. But what the heck was the proprietor (Stu?) going to do with a bunch of worn out shingles?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Very interesting. But what the heck was the proprietor (Stu?) going to do with a bunch of worn out shingles?
    I've seen some of the collections on here. A few shingles would not be out of place.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe making a slipcase out of them????

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

He had them mounted and framed with a plaque that said something like "authentic shingle from Stephen King's house." I've seen one or two for resale over the years but never owned one. I have no idea how many might be out there.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be one of the items I have absolutely no desire to own.

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I seem to recall that he combined some of them with the Christmas tree ornament that has an outline of King's house, too.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if the King's keep their trash under lock and key.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    I wonder if the King's keep their trash under lock and key.
    I'll bet Joe Hill keeps his under Locke and Key

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He had them mounted and framed with a plaque that said something like "authentic shingle from Stephen King's house."
    That's just...sad.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I'll bet Joe Hill keeps his under Locke and Key

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I've seen some of the collections on here. A few shingles would not be out of place.
    What he said

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't think King bought very much from Betts. Stu once told me that King bought some early Doubleday first editions for family members from him. Didn't hear about the DT books but it could be that he did. King's relationship with Betts was strained (to put it mildly). When Tabby caught the proprietor dumpster diving behind their house gathering up shingles from the remodeling job it didn't go over very well. In 1998 King agreed to do a book signing for BAG OF BONES at Betts thinking that it would be mostly Bangor residents among the 200. It turned out to be mostly people from all over the country (all good customers of Betts). Marsha told someone (iowabob, maybe?) that King was really pissed over that and said that was the last signing he would ever do at Betts. All of the later signings in Bangor were held at Book Marc (sp.?) which was owned by a friend of Tabby's. Occasionally Stu could get a few books signed by King at King's office but I get the feeling that he did so reluctantly. It's too bad that Stu's exuberance in running his business landed him, at times, on King's bad side. But if you have followed King's career and business dealings you know that it doesn't take much to feel his wrath, even if it is frequently undeserved. You can ask Jerad at Centipede Press about that.

The fact that a check from the limited edition of THE REGULATORS is made out to Betts Bookstore is solely because Peter Schneider (who made out the checks) is/was a friend of Stu's. Peter sold many, many King related items through Stu and Betts Bookstore. Of course, Peter has also joined a lengthy list of people on King's bad side. But that is a story for another day.
    Great input Bob. Looking forward tomorrow's story
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just mentioned it because King actually mentioned it at venue in Vermont I believe it was a few years back. He told us that he bought a few sets of limited gunslingers from betts for himself and family because he was afraid if he waited to long he wouldn't be able to get them.
    My wife and I were in the audience when he said it.
    so either he was just making the story up, or like I said King shopped for his own books at Betts

I doubt he made it up. If he said it then he did. Stu really did wish he had had a better relationship with King. Stu told me that King would occasionally stop by and sign books at Betts, much in the same way he now stops at the Barnes & Noble in Sarasota. He specifically mentioned King asking him for early Doubledays and that Stu assembled one or two sets for King to give to family members. It stands to reason he probably bought other things there over the years. But that was in the early days of Stu owning and running Betts Bookstore. For several reasons the relationship took a downward turn over the years. IMO, King doesn't like the idea that some people make a living predominately off of buying and selling his works.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ya, that's understandable.
    Plus if Stu really did sift threw Kings garbage to sell things from it, that certainly wouldn't help the relationship any.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, to some degree my collection extends to almost all areas of King collecting (it could even be said mine lacks a particular focus), but I can do without personal items especially something as mundane as old shingles from his house. Something unique like that suit from the Carrie photo that Bob has...yeah, I might have to jump on a purchase like that, but I can do without things like discarded toilet paper rolls or Stephen King's grass. LOL

....and I wouldn't be pissed about someone making money off my trash; I'd just publicly mock them.

Alan and Cook...you hurt my heart.

Edit: I suspect Bob has enough King stories he could do a story a day.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 ... LastLast