Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 254 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    I still want

Spoiler:
    Roland to have a redemption moment. Hopefully at some point in later movies he will face a choice. And we will get to see him make the RIGHT choice.
    Is it merely my perception, or...

Spoiler:
    was that brief moment where Roland dangled Jake over the edge of a cliffside supposed to hearken back to when he let Jake fall during the previous "loop" of reality?
    Spoiler:
    I can see that being a nod toward it, but that wasn't much of a choice. I still want him to have to choose between his obsession and Jake's life.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Dog's Breakfast
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Traveler Jambino is on a distinguished road

I saw the movie on Sunday and I agree with the general consensus. I feel like they tried to make a movie that would be appealing and accessible to the general public rather than taking chances. It's just too bad because we all know how good it really could have been!

That being said, I had great time and enjoyed the movie for what it was. When the movie started I was getting chills just thinking about how long I've dreamed about watching a Dark Tower movie. I watched it with my friend who has listened me talk about the books for 20 years, but who has never read the books himself. He loved the movie! After the movie we talked about it and the books the whole way home. His first question when we were walking out of the theater was, "Does Jake become a gunslinger?"... "Oh yeah." I replied. Then yesterday at work someone asked if anyone knows about this Dark Tower movie because they were going to see it that night. She loved it and we talked about it today.

Those of you that are debating if you should see it or not.... For the love of god, go see it! Have a good time!

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I can see that being a nod toward it, but that wasn't much of a choice. I still want him to have to choose between his obsession and Jake's life.
    Spoiler:
    It would have to be one heckuva choice to make Roland struggle, given that, as of the first film in this potential franchise, he and Jake are off to a better start than last time around.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Jambino View Post
    I saw the movie on Sunday and I agree with the general consensus. I feel like they tried to make a movie that would be appealing and accessible to the general public rather than taking chances. It's just too bad because we all know how good it really could have been!
    Here's to hoping that the next film (if there is one, naturally) ends up being the The Empire Strikes Back of the franchise: lengthier, darker and all-around improved.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw it, liked it, four out of five. Great acting by the three leads, decent (if simple) storyline, great action. DIDN'T like the "one and done" nature of the movie, it felt very ... contained. Loved the King easter eggs, which seemed to be EVERYWHERE.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Rosita?
    Crap, I forgot all about Rosita. Wasn't there one more woman near the end of DTVII?
    Spoiler:
    My brain has it wrapped up with the time near Jake's death. But I can't recall for sure because I never did re-read that part of the series.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Is it merely my perception, or...

Spoiler:
    was that brief moment where Roland dangled Jake over the edge of a cliffside supposed to hearken back to when he let Jake fall during the previous "loop" of reality?
    I thought the exact same thing, and the awesome intensity of that moment made me wish even more that it was part of the film's finale. It would've been ballsy, shocking, and a good set-up for future installments.
    Yeah! I thought that too. I have to say that going into this movie as it being the next loop or continuation was pretty fun because it allows you to compare the story to the last loop and come up with all these parallels.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If we can I will try and watch this on Sunday. I'm not much of an action flick fan or special effects junkie so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping there is enough story there (or suspense) to keep me interested.

Traveler Mystery Train is on a distinguished road

Needed to get my complete thoughts down on paper, so: My Dark Tower Review
    That's a good review. It's interesting to me that although I have a more negative reaction to the movie than you do, I basically agree with almost everything you said. I just put more weight on the negatives and didn't feel the positives you mention (which I agreed on) out weighed the negatives.

The one point of contention I have with the people who have positive reactions is the question of whether or not they captured the "spirit" of the books. See, for me, this was a big whiff. Yes, Elba and the kid captured the essence of their characters very well. McConaughey was excellent. But for me, the spirit of the books are that it is a quest. It's Roland's quest. And although he quests for The Tower, along the way he builds his Ka-tet, and that becomes the most important thing. That's the spirit of the books to me. And of course, this movie had none of that. This was just MIB screwing with the universe and Roland out for revenge (in what was, come on admit it, a stupidly executed plot point) for the death of his father, and Jake just happens to get caught up in it because he's got the shine. That pissed me off more than any of the other detail changes.

I think it is also incorrect when I see defenders of the movie criticizing those who hated it for wishing the movie was an exact retelling of the books. I haven't seen anyone complain about that. Most people understand you have to make sacrifices and changes to make this sort of thing into a film. It kind of comes down to what parts you personally cherished in the original text and whether or not the filmmakers agreed with you or not. In my case, I felt they missed the point.

Still . . . it wasn't a terrible movie. Just well short of the potential.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Train View Post
    That's a good review. It's interesting to me that although I have a more negative reaction to the movie than you do, I basically agree with almost everything you said. I just put more weight on the negatives and didn't feel the positives you mention (which I agreed on) out weighed the negatives.

The one point of contention I have with the people who have positive reactions is the question of whether or not they captured the "spirit" of the books. See, for me, this was a big whiff. Yes, Elba and the kid captured the essence of their characters very well. McConaughey was excellent. But for me, the spirit of the books are that it is a quest. It's Roland's quest. And although he quests for The Tower, along the way he builds his Ka-tet, and that becomes the most important thing. That's the spirit of the books to me. And of course, this movie had none of that. This was just MIB screwing with the universe and Roland out for revenge (in what was, come on admit it, a stupidly executed plot point) for the death of his father, and Jake just happens to get caught up in it because he's got the shine. That pissed me off more than any of the other detail changes.

I think it is also incorrect when I see defenders of the movie criticizing those who hated it for wishing the movie was an exact retelling of the books. I haven't seen anyone complain about that. Most people understand you have to make sacrifices and changes to make this sort of thing into a film. It kind of comes down to what parts you personally cherished in the original text and whether or not the filmmakers agreed with you or not. In my case, I felt they missed the point.

Still . . . it wasn't a terrible movie. Just well short of the potential.
    I thought about this through the whole movie, the spirit of not just the series, but of Roland. I was a bit frustrated at first but then something dawned on me that allowed me to be 'ok' with it, even somewhat intrigued by it.
    Spoiler:
    I was upset because the nobility of being a gunslinger was lost for me during the movie. The whole idea of Roland being synonymous with Arthur and the last 'knight'. I was even more irritated by the idea of him not being called a gunslinger, and the questioning of his revenge versus the quest to the Tower. I was thinking, man they have this all wrong. Then it hit me.... wait a minute, this is supposed to be after DTVII, he has cycled back with the horn of eld, he is burned out of the quest and just wants to kill O'Dim for sheer satisfaction, but being reunited again with Jake (even if it hasn't dawned on him yet) has started to re-instill that noble mission. With that thought, I felt at peace.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Traveler Mystery Train is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TravelinJack;1073027]

I thought about this through the whole movie, the spirit of not just the series, but of Roland. I was a bit frustrated at first but then something dawned on me that allowed me to be 'ok' with it, even somewhat intrigued by it.
    Spoiler:
    I was upset because the nobility of being a gunslinger was lost for me during the movie. The whole idea of Roland being synonymous with Arthur and the last 'knight'. I was even more irritated by the idea of him not being called a gunslinger, and the questioning of his revenge versus the quest to the Tower. I was thinking, man they have this all wrong. Then it hit me.... wait a minute, this is supposed to be after DTVII, he has cycled back with the horn of eld, he is burned out of the quest and just wants to kill O'Dim for sheer satisfaction, but being reunited again with Jake (even if it hasn't dawned on him yet) has started to re-instill that noble mission. With that thought, I felt at peace.
    Hmmm. That's an interesting way to look at it. I've seen several comments about this film being set after DTVII, but I'm not sure where that comes from. Is that conjecture? Did I miss some detail that confirmed it? And if so, I would have thought there would be some more obvious hints that this was not Roland's first go-round. If that's really what the filmmakers intended, I would have started it with Roland in the desert reaching down to ensure that he had the horn of eld just as it was described at the very end of DTVII. It wouldn't have meant anything to viewers unfamiliar with the story, but EVERY DT fan in the world would have known what it meant. IF this movie is intended to be the continuation of the tale, they did a poor job of making that point clear...although it might soften my opinion a little.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful review. I felt the same thing... every word you said.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Mystery Train;1073048]
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post

Spoiler:
    Hmmm. That's an interesting way to look at it. I've seen several comments about this film being set after DTVII, but I'm not sure where that comes from. Is that conjecture? Did I miss some detail that confirmed it? And if so, I would have thought there would be some more obvious hints that this was not Roland's first go-round. If that's really what the filmmakers intended, I would have started it with Roland in the desert reaching down to ensure that he had the horn of eld just as it was described at the very end of DTVII. It wouldn't have meant anything to viewers unfamiliar with the story, but EVERY DT fan in the world would have known what it meant. IF this movie is intended to be the continuation of the tale, they did a poor job of making that point clear...although it might soften my opinion a little.
    I do believe it was stated somewhere that this was a continuation of sorts. I think it was an interview with King? I can't recall exactly, but I'm sure someone will chime in with more info on it. I am pretty certain we get a few glimpses of the horn of Eld in Roland's bag. Subtle but there a few times. I do feel like I need to see it again, more Easter eggs to hunt down.

Oh one other neat hint was when Walter said something to the effect of,
    Spoiler:
    think about what happened to your last crew.
    . I can't remember the exact quote, I'll have to jot it down the next time I watch it. I do think there are more hints then we made out that are there for DT series fans like us.

The other interesting thing is
    Spoiler:
    if this is a loop, why doesn't Flagg remember Jake as well? He sort of does, when you rewatch pay attention to how it seems like he is trying to recall from memory the familiarity in the name. Perhaps when the loop happens with the Horn, it also loops Flagg, everyone, etc.

For those that do go see it again, I urge those that didn't like it to do so. This time think of it from the continuation stand point and look for all the subtleties that apply to that and the
    Spoiler:
    Roland back on the hunt, yet again premise
    . I think you'll find it more enjoyable and somewhat interesting. It also gives hope to the idea of the series starting from Gunslinger.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the one gun, but it's already at $5.9K.

Way beyond my budget.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    If they are auctioning off the props now does that mean that the chance of a second film are diminished?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    If they are auctioning off the props now does that mean that the chance of a second film are diminished?
    No -- many of them are specific to the first movie or costumes that are probably cheaper to reproduce than to store somewhere.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Was the Sombra app created to essentially show the 3-d pic from Entertainment Weekly? Is there more to it?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Was the Sombra app created to essentially show the 3-d pic from Entertainment Weekly? Is there more to it?
    The most recent upgrade showed a portal that you could look through and see the moons.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The most recent upgrade showed a portal that you could look through and see the moons.
    Perhaps I'm obtuse, but I don't see how to access that.

I have v 1.0

I'll check 1.4

Still don't see anything new on 1.4

Unless it's some big secret, perhaps you can educate me.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's a good review.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Wonderful review. I felt the same thing... every word you said.
    Thank you both! I really appreciate that (and taking the time to read).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Way beyond my budget.
    That is why God invented bake sales!

In all seriousness, you may be better off buying a replica of a weathered cartridge-conversion Remington 1858 New Model Army and having a moderately (or higher, depending on your budget) skilled armorer add on the sigul of Eld.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Way beyond my budget.
    Yeah amazing. Have you ever seen them auction stuff like this? Right off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Way beyond my budget.
    Yeah amazing. Have you ever seen them auction stuff like this? Right off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, VIP Auctions is in the business of selling movie props and wardrobes. This is pretty common for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 254 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 ... LastLast