Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full Dark, No Stars

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default Full Dark, No Stars

Well, this is coming out on Tuesday, so I figure it sort of needs a thread. I didn't see one (I looked at the list), so here we go. I borrowed this from work on Thursday night (working at a bookstore has its cons, but it sure has its pros) and I'm about halfway through the first novella here: "1922." The promotionals for this thing keep calling it "the darkest King yet." And you know what? I think, maybe they're not too far off the mark. This thing is at least the darkest he's come out with since "It." I am loving it so far, and I highly recommend it. The first story alone has been worth the 27 dollars I will pay for it on Tuesday. Has anyone else had such an opportunity yet, or read the excerpts printed in Entertainment Weekly (this week's issue) or the excerpt that's online?
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

$27? Amazon has it for fifteen!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

There is an excerpt from Big Driver in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't want to read any exerpts, I'll just wait till Tuesday. Also, Barnes and Noble has it at $15 as well.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I got the book last week (apparently Dutch bookstores are not under any embargo that forbids them to sell the book before the official publication date) and although I haven't had much time to read yet, I'm around page 60 of '1922' and it is indeed a very, very dark and grim tale. I'm loving it!

Traveler Bob26003 is on a distinguished road Bob26003's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Listening to audiobook

Hello, I am near finished listening to 1922. I must say, the reader is great. He is able to convey the emotions and depth in a manner that give it almost a cinematic quality.

As usual the characters are excellent; deep and rich. The plot so far is just downright crazy and gruesome. I like it

As usual King has been able to capture the texture and feel of the setting and the lifestyle.

For me, this is a must in a good writer. I like to be able to understand the motivations of the characters; what they feel, what they believe, the pressures on them, the expectations etc.

IMO this is classic King.

It's not quite on the level of "The Sun Dog" but it is damn close. Actually, to compare them is to do a disservice. They are different. I think the writing in 1922 is more laid back and mellow.

When I listen I am transported to the farm, and that is what is amazing.

Ill post again about the details of the plot once the posts get going.

Two Thumbs Up on 1922 so far

Oh and I hear alot of ppl whining about King endings. I don't think it matters that much. For me, its the journey; getting transported to Kings world. It's the ride. To step out of my world for a moment and into his weaved world. Good therapy value too I think.

I could stop listening to 1922 right now and I would still be satisfied with the experience.

I finished reading 1922 last night. I loved it. It felt very Lovecraft inspired to me. I never read "Rats in The Walls," but I'm sure that parallels could probably be drawn. Certainly the theme of a first person narrative writing out a confession of something horrific has been oft explored by Lovecraft. It was nice throwback to King's original inspiration, I thought. The ride was fantastic and I loved the ending. Question for those who have read it:

Spoiler:
    No one else can ever see the rats. Not in the bank, not in the denim factory, not in the library. At the end, it talks about him having bitten HIMSELF to death. The question is, what do you think? Were the rats merely in his head, or were his wife's "loyal subjects" fallowing him around. Ghosts from the well where she was buried?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I think that you can interpret however you like. There is no definitive answer.

I thought the story also had a Poe feel to it, the confessions of a madman like Tell-tale Heart, for example.

Traveler Bob26003 is on a distinguished road Bob26003's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's my interpretation of 1922:

Spoiler:
    By the time his son and Shannon died he was delusional. The vision of his wife coming to him was an illusion. At the time that he wrote the piece, he already knew what had happened and embellished a bit. This is part of the problem with first person narratives. Who knows whether or not what the narrator of the story is saying is the truth and/or how much of it is true. He kept saying he was telling the complete truth. And maybe he was. But who's truth was he telling? Well, his own of course. And what exactly is the truth from the perspective of a mad man? 1922. He bit himself to death in the end, under the illusion that the rats were killing him. The only way in which his wife haunted him was figuratively. She was always on his mind and he felt terrible about what he did to her, therefore she haunted him. That's what I think.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That sounds like a plausible interpretation, Woodpryan. I finished '1922' this morning and read the first few pages of the next story. Can't wait to continue!

Working on "Big Driver" right now as well. I know I should stop and go to bed. But, damn it's hard to put down my favorite author.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon. I promptly brodarted it and started reading but it was a tad too late so I only put away about 10 pages. Very good so far, but we all knew that.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I think that you can interpret however you like. There is no definitive answer.

I thought the story also had a Poe feel to it, the confessions of a madman like Tell-tale Heart, for example.
    I was thinking of that very tale about three quarters of the way through 1922. Poe's influence is very easy to see throughout it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

I'm halfway through the last story and so far the book has been an awesome, sinister read!

Just finished "Big Driver." Fantastic. Loved it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

This was an excellent book.

1922 was the most haunting story, but The Good Marriage was the one that really struck me. I live in Wichita, where BTK committed his crimes and was caught, and King did a really good job of research on him; the physical description, hiding his momentos in the garage, even the fact that he was a cub scout master.

Country
    Country Flag

Finished the book. Loved it.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been reading and finished Fair Extension the other night. Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be a while before I can pick it up to read The Good Marriage. Fair Extension really shook me.

Big Driver was really good, and a very fast read to boot. I thought it was MUCH better than 1922, which was a pretty decent tale on its own.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I've been reading and finished Fair Extension the other night. Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be a while before I can pick it up to read The Good Marriage. Fair Extension really shook me.

Big Driver was really good, and a very fast read to boot. I thought it was MUCH better than 1922, which was a pretty decent tale on its own.
    I just finished Big Driver and agree completely. Great story.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Default Alcohol, audio and endings

Steve is really preachy on the booze in-take in the book.
    Everyone that consumes alcohol is either a drunk, a loud mouth or a fool.
    Not sure if this is an underlying theme for the book but it's a shame.

The male narrator is really good, one of the best out of the recent books.
    The woman is ok, she reads the story in a different vibe that what I feel that it should been but I think she became better as Big Driver went along.
    One of a many things that S&S do wrong about their audio books is that the music cues come way to close to the ending of the stories....they don't let the endings breath.

I definitely think the first story would make a great movie, probably better than the actual story.
    Big Driver was awesome.
    The ending to the third story was terrible.

Citizen of Gilead SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Overall I loved this book, but it's still too new for me to say it's one of his best. Definitely darker than he's been in a while, and I appreciate that. The few times I had to turn my head from the page and think about something particularly disgusting will stick with me. Damn he's good.
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." -Fry
    "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." -Blind Melon

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The stories would have been okay if I had found them in a pick 'em up and toss 'em book from Wal-Mart but not from SK. His writing is aging right along with him, in my opinion. Where scary used to be getting trapped in "heaven", boogey men in closets and every where else, it is now cancer and bad stuff happening to you family? Please, Mr. King...I read your books to escape reality, not be reminded of it.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I somehow missed your text last night and didn't see it until this morning. I liked Full Dark/No Stars, but I do see your point.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I was pretty impressed with this book. I'm a little late to reading it because I never actually went out and bought it, instead I had a coworker who let me borrow it. I really enjoyed all of the stories except Fair Extension. I didn't really think there was much of an ending with it at all. It kind of seemed like more of an idea than a story. Disappointment.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast