Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicolas Cage

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Nicolas Cage

Sadly, nowadays Nicolas Cage is often thought of as a joke or a meme. Too bad. But he is actually a really good actor and in the 1990s he was one of my favorite actors. Recently, of course, he's been able to pick the turds with remarkable precision, but I'm hoping that run runs out soon enough. As I was debating this with a co-worker, I thought I should come up with my personal Top Ten Nic Cage films and looking through his filmography, he's had plenty to choose from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Cage_filmography

Well, then 10 turned into 20 as I was mulling it over, but feel free to count the extra ten as honorable mentions, though there are some great movies there.

20. Windtalkers (2002)
    This is probably a very little-seen movie, but I actually saw it in theaters and own the DVD (as I do most if not all of these). It took an intriguing topic of Navajo code-talkers during WWII, and while not the best war movie, it is visually interesting (directed by John Woo), and Cage gives a really strong performance. People thought it overlong, but war epics usually are.

Spoiler:

19. World Trade Center (2006)
    This Oliver Stone film probably suffered because of the too-soon factor, but it's actually a very good film. It takes guts to make a movie like this a few years after a huge tragedy like 9/11 and make a solemn and worthy film. Great and human performances by the two leads.

Spoiler:

18. City of Angels (1998)
    I'm a sucker for a good romantic (chick flick) movie, just the softie that I am, and this was one of my favorite such movies back in '98-99. Cage and Meg Ryan (at the height of her cuteness) are great together and the film looks pretty nice. And a pretty cool soundtrack to boot.

Spoiler:

17. National Treasure (2004)
    This is a stupid movie. But it's a good stupid movie. It's fun and exciting and it's super fast-paced. It's no Indiana Jones, but it's almost the next best thing.

Spoiler:

16. Moonstruck (1987)
    I'm not a big fan of Cher, but I am a big fan of the 1980s and Cage and 1980s Cage. This is another fun and light movie, and if it's playing on TV while I'm flipping through channels, I'll definitely stay and watch.

Spoiler:

15. Bringing Out the Dead (1999)
    Really one of the best Cage performances here and it's a very under-seen film. The look and the mood are very stark and dreamlike. And it's a Martin Scorsese movie. That alone is good news. What else could you ask for?

Spoiler:

14. Wild at Heart (1990)
    From Scorsese we move onto Lynch. What a crazy movie. Cage here is his usual still-'80s self with chock-full of cool supporting characters. And nice music, too.

Spoiler:

13. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)
    Buried within many many terrible movies of the period was this surprising and disturbing crime thriller that sort of signaled that Cage may not be done yet.

Spoiler:

12. Red Rock West (1993)
    In a way similar to Wild at Heart and Bringing Out the Dead, this is a little-seen film with lots of great stars and another great Cage performance. Very western, very noir, very early-'90s.

Spoiler:

11. Lord of War (2005)
    I don't know if this one is also little-seen, but I don't see it mentioned a lot when Cage movies are discussed. Maybe it's just me but I loved this one. So dark. And funny. It's shot amazingly and directed perfectly by the talented Andrew Niccol. And Cage is at the top of his game.

Spoiler:

10. 8mm (1999)
    And here we go with the Top Ten, and probably an unpopular choice, but this is a really really good movie. Extremely dark. Great performances throughout, especially by James Gandolfini (pre-Sopranos, I think).

Spoiler:

9. Joe (2013)
    This is Cage getting back to respectability, I hope. I haven't yet seen what he's got in the pipeline coming, but this was a welcome return to form. Not Academy Award form, but getting there... Do more of this, Nic!

Spoiler:

8. The Weather Man (2005)
    This is most likely another "huh?" for a lot of people, but I really really like this one. Cage plays Cage perfectly here and I don't understand why it's not more popular. I guess it's not exactly a crowd-pleaser.

Spoiler:

7. The Rock (1996)
    Speaking of crowd-pleasers, how about this one? Like National Treasure, this is a stupid movie that's exceptionally well made. It's got great performances, awesome music and stunts, and this is Michael Bay before he became "Michael Bay". Good shit.

Spoiler:

6. Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
    More '80s and more Cage, and this time there's time travel! Plus an early Jim Carrey cameo! Pretty unique performance by Cage, too.

Spoiler:

5. Adaptation (2002)
    And speaking of unique, this had to be in the Top Five, obviously. Great movie, great dual role played by Cage, which got him an Oscar nomination.

Spoiler:

4. The Family Man (2000)
    This is a sweet and just great film. I don't think it would be at the top of many best-of lists, but it's definitely at the top of mine for the year and the decade. If you haven't seen it, watch it ASAP!

Spoiler:

3. Raising Arizona (1987)
    Cage. Coens. Eighties. Fun.

Spoiler:

2. Matchstick Men (2003)
    Like The Weather/Family Man, this is another early 2000s film that I really really really like. I love this heartbreaking masterpiece for lots of reasons, including the great performance by the beautiful and rarely seen Alison Lohman, and Ridley Scott's impeccable direction, and also for the - spoiler! - twist that apparently everyone saw coming but me. But I'm gullible like that. I get absorbed and lost in the movie and let it all come at me.

Spoiler:

1. Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
    There could be no other number one, obviously. The guy won the Oscar for Best Actor for Pete's sake and so well deserved. Can't watch this one too often. But it's an all-time classic, a perfect film.

Spoiler:

So that's it. What are your favorite Nicolas Cage movies? Post your own Top 10 or whatever list!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nicolas Cage has made so, so, so many stinkers that his 1 or 2 good performances have been diluted by the countless baked turds.

Favorite Cage movie is Face/Off, but not because of a powerhouse performance or anything. It's such a ludicrous premise and its pretty evident both Cage and Travolta took full advantage of Woo lifting all restrictions on the cheese factor.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Raising Arizona will always be a classic, and I will never see any of "joke Nicholas Cage" in the character of H.I.
    Also : Valley Girl. Sure, it's a cheesy 80's flick, but Cage isn't what makes it cheesy. I really like him in that flick.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I could actually make a top 10 Nick Cage movie list, but if I could Gone in 60 Seconds would probably make the list.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite Nick Cage movie is also my favorite Christmas movie, Trapped in Paradise. Alongside him is Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz. And I have a soft spot for Madchen Amick who plays the love interest. Funny movie for anyone who has a crazy family. This isn't over the top Cage, but it's definitely Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHRkervPL4
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    My favorite Nick Cage movie is also my favorite Christmas movie, Trapped in Paradise. Alongside him is Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz. And I have a soft spot for Madchen Amick who plays the love interest. Funny movie for anyone who has a crazy family. This isn't over the top Cage, but it's definitely Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHRkervPL4
    Kudos, Matt. I thought I was the only one that remembered that movie. I never hear anybody talk about it, but I loved watching it back in the day. It helps that I love Dana Carvey. I think a lot of people brushed it off as a silly comedy with a couple SNL stars (Carvey & Lovitz), but it's actually pretty good.

Nice list, Pablo and great write-ups! Cage has become a punchline at this point, but he's not done yet. I think he's had a few bright spots in recent years that tells me he's got something left in the tank. Joe and Kick-Ass come to mind. Cage is also in the upcoming Snowden film with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I think we might just get to see him flex his acting muscles once again.

One Cage film that you didn't mentioned that I've always enjoyed is Con Air.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I left Con Air and Face/Off off the list because they're just too silly. I was trying to highlight the best acting Cage has done, in my view, and also the best overall films.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I do like Cage. Matchstick Men is great. I had a bit off comic love for Ghostrider. Gone in 60 sucked me in for the cars.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

118 Minutes

127 Minutes

BUT WAIT...You said you liked it for the cars?
    Then you want this one.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorite movies... It is definitely my favorite Nick Cage movies...
    Lord of War is a close second
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe I am even doing this, but here goes.
    The Rock - love it
    Con Air - guilty pleasure
    Red Rock West - love it
    Valley Girl - loved it when I saw it years ago, not sure how it would hold up
    Moonstruck - snap outta of it!
    Leaving Las Vegas - should I kill myself now? or later?

But my favorite is the found footage of Saint Nick as Superman - priceless!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, no Face/Off? Travolta and Cage hamming it up, imitating each other's styles?

Here's mine. Keep in mind that I haven't seen any Nicholas Cage films prior to Guarding Tess

9. Con Air
    8. 8MM
    7. The Rock
    6. Snake Eyes
    5. Kick-Ass
    4. Face/Off
    3. Leaving Las
    2. Matchstick Men
    1. Adaptation
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You have to add one more to your list. 9 just looks weird.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Because of this thread I watched National Treasure today.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    You have to add one more to your list. 9 just looks weird.
    Don't have anymore to add. The other films of his I've seen, I didn't like nor did I like him. I never finished Lord of War because the DVD I borrowed screwed up half in. I have Joe to watch and when I do, that will give me ten lol

Country
    Country Flag

What about the others from my Top 20?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've never been able to figure out exactly why, but I've always loved The Family Man. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

It's a very sweet movie with great performances. Not high art, but it's so well done.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And?

Country
    Country Flag

And I just rewatched Matchstick Men. Such a great and heartbreaking film. It's only 12 years old (wow does time fly) but they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    And I just rewatched Matchstick Men. Such a great and heartbreaking film. It's only 12 years old (wow does time fly) but they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Matchstick Men is really good. It's too bad Alison Lohman disappeared. You would think after Drag Me To Hell her career would have taken off. I guess not.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen Matchstick Men at least a dozen times. It's one of my favourites.

"She left the door open! It was BITCHIN!"

"Pygmies."

"My associate tells me you have five grandchildren. WOW!"

"Well there's a couch, if you want to sit. Or over there if you prefer. Or the couch."

"Uhhhh....uhhhh...that was wrong what you did! And--and--you're a nosy parker! And that's no way for a young lady to behave. And...SHAME-ON-YOU!"

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    And?
    And now he hates us all.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    And?
    And now he hates us all.
    Wait till he watches the sequel!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast