Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Roland - General discussion

Traveler MacarDeschain is on a distinguished road MacarDeschain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    This thought is very far from my thinking. I can't imagine Gan using anyone for anything... why would he? I can't imagine him as a puppeteer. IMHO if Gan gives us purposes he gives them to give goals and some meaning to our lives.
    Why would he not use him, It would be like you not using your hand becueas you saw no use for it. Or you saw no use for breathing. No more purposes then just to live and is that not enough. Roland made his chooses and Gan just used it to help him self. Will him self and all liveing things.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nikolett didn't create her hand as a separate being, endowed with immortal soul and the gift of free will... if she had, I think she would have denied herself the possibility to use it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler MacarDeschain is on a distinguished road MacarDeschain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes you are right, but that does not mean she should not use it to save all of the rest of her body, even if her hand had a will of its own. This is why Roland is a hero. Yes has a will of his own, But Gan knows that Roland will make the right chose in the end. Because it is in Roland’s nature to do the right thing (just the hard Way). Gan knew this and relied on it. So used him to do this.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Traveler hpr7 is on a distinguished road hpr7's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default How Old is Roland?(spoiler VII)

How Old is Roland?
    Here is why I have doubts about Roland's age How is Sheemie Ruiz alive still?

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you finished the book? If not, don't read the sopiler.

Spoiler:
    He's not. He dies in VII, after his purpose is served.

But to give my opinion on your question, I think he is quasi-immortal, just like Walter O'Dim and Roland himself.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question.
    BUT we mustn't forget that Sheemie isn't just a simple human-being. He is one of the strongest breakers. He has great powers. Once Roland mentioned they didn't understand how Sheemie could catch up with Roland's first tet after they had left Mejis.
    You cannot ask the age of the one who can open a hole in time/dimension (remember the gingerbread house?) and create their a special space where he can spend as much time as he wishes and in the moving world time stops.

Anyway in some days this thread will be moved this section: The Villagers

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

Susan herself thinks about this:
    She though, But Rolands old....so old! Which means that if this is the tavern-boy he knew in Mejis....the one with the donkey and the pink sombrera hat....then he must also be....
    The novel Black House may hold the answer. In that book, Parkus tells Jack that the Crimson King doesn't need to replace Breakers because they dont die - "they are kept in a place where there is essentially no time". Purgatory, which is exactly what Roland calls Algul Siento.

Traveler ohdiscordia is on a distinguished road

Default What is Roland's Most Agonizing Choice in Life? *SPOILERS*

Ok, so I've read all of the books and I am going back but its driving me crazy because I want confirmation about what is Roland's most agonizing choice. HELP anyone?

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i would say his most agonizing choice is in the Gunslinger when he
    Spoiler:
    let Jake fall

John F. Kennedy lonely_cube is on a distinguished road

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's
    Spoiler:
    when he leaves Susan and she dies.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lonely_cube View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's
    Spoiler:
    when he leaves Susan and she dies.
    but he didn't really have a direct choice in that he wasn't right there to be able stop that happening. with what i'd said, he was right there and had the choice to stop it or not.

with what you said, he could have made the choice to
    Wizard & Glass spoiler

Traveler ohdiscordia is on a distinguished road

Oh, well I think it was when
    Spoiler:
    Roland makes the decision to hypnotize Stephen King and the driver of the van (choosing the tower) instead of helping/comforting Jake as he is dyeing.

Country
    Country Flag

ohdiscordia - that's a good point! i was surprised at that really that he did that. but at the same time
    book 7 spoiler

Traveler Charyou Tree is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by arrawyn View Post
    i would say his most agonizing choice is in the Gunslinger when he
    Spoiler:
    let Jake fall
    This +10000

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wizard and Glass

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Wizard and Glass
    You know, that actually makes sense. I bet that's what it is.

Country
    Country Flag

Default What is Roland's Most Agonizing Choice in Life? *SPOILERS*

Hi everyone,

Letti suggested we started a new thread on this topic as it was originally started in the forum specifically for 'The Drawing of the Three' but then got totally off topic with people referring to stuff in later books.

So the original question asked by Doncissiero was basically in one of the arguments its states that letting Jake fall in the first book is Rolands second most agonizing choice in his life....so what do you all think is his first?

He obviously has had to make tons of agonizing choices throughout his entire journey.

end of series spoiler!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

kk. Then I'll repeat here that Roland's most agonizing choice is the choice to seek the Tower. He didn't much agonize over it at the time, but did much agonizing over it ever after.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrawyn View Post
    end of series spoiler!
    Why what?
    Spoiler:
    Why does he "have to" loop? you mean? Why does he "not need" to undo Susan's fate? What? Those questions raise lots of others to me, different enough to call for even more threads. To simplify, let me just ask this: he wouldn't be looping at all if he hadn't gone to the Tower, so did he have to do that? Yes? No? Well, does the loop mean that he has to cry off?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna move the posts which belong here. Thank you for starting a new thread for them.

*edit
    :done:

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

Default ''Some spoilers'' Roland's Age?

This has always puzzled me, even more since reading the comics, does anyone have an actual idea of Rolands true age?

There has been hints he is over a thousand, three hundred, one hundred, early fifties even, at first I thought, yeah maybe it is possible he could be ancient, putting aside the fact that 'time is funny' due to some mystical power through his bloodline, also due its hinted that Steven is somewhat older than he seems, due to the fact that corts father also served him, which i picked up upon when Depape took 'the old bastard' for questioning, he obviously knew of Steven.

Yet, Sheb isn't special, and doesn't he meet him once again in Tull? so this would suggest Roland would be about forty in 'the gunslinger'

Even after his mystical experience with Flagg, Roland belives century's have past, but we know it was merely a trick.

The old people who live outside of Lud, even their ancestors were far past the time of Gilead and John Farson.

So my only conclusion can be that maybe time passes differently throughout mid world and end world, or there is some kind of mistake in the storyline, any thoughts?

Well, they definitely don't say explicitly, but I always figured he was about 1500 years old, at least by the time he reaches Calla Bryn Sturgis. At various points in the series, and before it when Roland is chasing the Man in Black, time probably skips around Roland and the ka-tet (once he draws them) without anyone even noticing. For example, in W&G when Roland is telling his story, it appears to the ka-tet that it only took one night, although it was a long night. It's possible that around them, time kept passing as usual, and maybe even years went by while Roland was talking. This could have happened at virtually any point in time when the ka-tet is in an uninhabited area, since time could pass without them really noticing. Once they reach the Callas though, this couldn't really work anywhere except Empathica, since there were people pretty much everywhere by that point. So my guess is, Roland was born about 1500 years before he reaches Calla Bryn Sturgis, and he is probably about 50-60 physically.

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

So your saying even though Roland ages naturally through actual time, he physically ages as normal? That kinda makes sense, I always assumed he had some kind of immortality due to his bloodline.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think time speeds up around him from time to time but I don't think the time he has actually experienced is any longer than someone of 40-60 years. (Yes I'm aware that's a big age difference. I'm that uncertain of how hold he actually is.)

As for that bit after his palaver with Walter, I'm really not certain how long he was asleep there. We know it was partly a trick by Walter, but I still got the impression a significant amount of time had passed, albeit perhaps not as long as it seemed. He seemed to age 10 years in that time period too, although whether that was due to the passage of time or shock when confronted with Walter's vision, I don't know.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, in WotC, Roland realized that he actually went todash during his palaver with Walter.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast