Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Audiobooks/Ebooks - All Formats

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Default Stephen King Audiobooks/Ebooks - All Formats

I am a subscriber to audible.com which is a site that you can get audiobooks cheaper than you would at a book store.

You can sign up as a new member and get 1 free audiobook of your choice. After that, based on your subscription level, you can get 1 audiobook per month for $14.95. If you want 2 audio books a month, its $22.95.

Now, audiobooks aren't for everyone, that I know. Even I have some specifications when it comes to audiobooks. Firstly, I love when the author reads their own work. When the author reads their book, it gives a whole new meaning to it... you are reading a book the way it should be read.

I also like audiobooks for scary books. I listened to "I Am Legend" and I couldn't sleep for days! Same with Jurassic Park, oddly enough.

Anyway - to get to the point of this long post, I noticed on the S&S website that they are coming out with 3 new King audiobooks:

The End of the Whole Mess (and other stories) By Stephen King
    Read by Tim Curry, Stephen King, Matthew Broderick and Eve Beglarian

Sorry, Right Number (and Other Stories) By Stephen King
    Read by: Joe Morton, Stephen King, Joe Mantegna, Full Cast and Domenic Custern

and

It Grows on You (and Other Stories) By Stephen King
    Read by: Stephen King, Frank Muller, Gary Sinese and Grace Slick

Anyone else interested in getting these? Not really a collectible, per say... but I'd personally love to hear a real recording of Sorry, Right Number!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love audio books. I try to hear King's stuff on long drives. Most recent one I listened to was Blaze.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Apparently I was wrong.

S&S is just "re-packaging" of Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Darn. Well it's an all star line-up of readers... Stephen King, Kathy Bates, Matthew Broderick, Tim Curry, Jerry Garcia, David Cronenberg, Gary Sinise, Joe Morton, Joe Mantegna, Grace Slick, Frank Muller, Tim Curry, Rob Lowe, Whoopi Goldberg, Yeardley Smith and Tabitha King.

They sell the book in 3 volumes though. That sucks. If you wanted to buy the whole thing, it's $70!!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't pay $70, Dolan! Wait for it on audible.com and download it for cheaper!

Yeah, I'm a member and a fan of audible.com

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I love them too, they're great for drives as well as listening to while you need to do something else. I pick up "cassette" versions all the time for a dollar and as my old cassette player from the eighties has outlived many cd players which mysteriously break on day 382 (a few days after the warranty runs out) I think that even one listen is well worth the buck.
    I got "on writing" read by King last month and actually rewind it many times as I really love the honesty in his voice, and the great info on this one. Highly recommend.

I have a few CD author read ones as well of great books...

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I've also had good luck getting audiobooks for cheap through Amazon marketplace sellers...recently found one that was like $60 new for $8!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I didn't! I might - but not now. I did, however, download the Just After Sunset audiobook... Perfect to listen to at night, under the covers, in a rainstorm!

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a big fan of all the King audio titles, I already have the ones mentioned but i'm still looking forward to the re-release as CD quality is so much better than the old cassettes.

Finally managed to download the BBC7 production of Blaze a while back, that took some finding!. It's only 1:23 minutes long though, now I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the length of the standard Blaze audio but I hope I haven't missed a part, I don't want to listen to it as i've not read the novel yet.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaniscoming View Post
    my old cassette player from the eighties has outlived many cd players which mysteriously break on day 382 (a few days after the warranty runs out)
    It can sometimes be difficult to program the "breakdown after warranty date" in to the electronics. But it usually works.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Yes, it's funny...my "first" Television I got given to me by my Uncle in 1983 just died last year. ...4 "new" satellite receivers have died in the last 5 years...I take them for service and they say "Well it will cost $75 for us to just look at it, but a new one is on sale for $119, so......." Its very scary to wonder where all these busted electronics go these days but thats a whole other thread.....

I have an extra "Fahrenheit 451" read by Ray Bradbury (6 CD's) original artwork on cover...pretty much new condition, I think $20 bucks shipped is fair if someone would like it. Let me know.
    Let me know....

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I didn't! I might - but not now. I did, however, download the Just After Sunset audiobook... Perfect to listen to at night, under the covers, in a rainstorm!
    I mostly listen during my long commute.

They did a nice job on JAS with the different readers for each story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I'm a big fan of all the King audio titles, I already have the ones mentioned but i'm still looking forward to the re-release as CD quality is so much better than the old cassettes.

Finally managed to download the BBC7 production of Blaze a while back, that took some finding!. It's only 1:23 minutes long though, now I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the length of the standard Blaze audio but I hope I haven't missed a part, I don't want to listen to it as i've not read the novel yet.
    The unabridged audiobook is just over 8 hours. Check it out.

I never listen to abridged versions. Bleh.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got the unabridged Ron McClarty one, 8hr 10m 37s lol

The 1hr 23min one I have is not an unabridged reading of the Ron McClarty audio, It's a BBC radio play/dramatization. While I can't speak for the quality of this one usually they are multi-cast affairs with music, sound effects etc.

While you wouldn't pick one over the standard audio-book there interesting (and FREE!) productions, certainly you can't compare them to a dis-jointed reading of the standard audio-book. There are a few of them Mist, Children of the Corn, Pet Sem etc, and as there radio plays you don't have to pay $20 or whatever for them!.

Along the Path of the Beam Aki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Apparently I was wrong.

S&S is just "re-packaging" of Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Darn. Well it's an all star line-up of readers... Stephen King, Kathy Bates, Matthew Broderick, Tim Curry, Jerry Garcia, David Cronenberg, Gary Sinise, Joe Morton, Joe Mantegna, Grace Slick, Frank Muller, Tim Curry, Rob Lowe, Whoopi Goldberg, Yeardley Smith and Tabitha King.

They sell the book in 3 volumes though. That sucks. If you wanted to buy the whole thing, it's $70!!!!!
    Wait wait wait, Yeardley Smith? I have only seen (heard) her in the role of Lisa Simpson, but I've also heard her using her "normal" voice. Her reading a horror novel (or ANY novel) would only make me laugh I believe... But I might be wrong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got the unabridged Ron McClarty one, 8hr 10m 37s lol

The 1hr 23min one I have is not an unabridged reading of the Ron McClarty audio, It's a BBC radio play/dramatization. While I can't speak for the quality of this one usually they are multi-cast affairs with music, sound effects etc.

While you wouldn't pick one over the standard audio-book there interesting (and FREE!) productions, certainly you can't compare them to a dis-jointed reading of the standard audio-book. There are a few of them Mist, Children of the Corn, Pet Sem etc, and as there radio plays you don't have to pay $20 or whatever for them!.
    In that case, I'd listen to the Ron McLarty unabridged reading first for the full story as King intended it. Then I'd listen the short BBC production for the entertainment value of the dramatization.

Country
    Country Flag

Good compromise, I've listened to the first minute of the BBC production and it does sound a more interesting voice to listen to than Ron McLarty, though I hope everyone would either do as Patrick says or read the book first!.

It's anyone interested I can post it up here if i'm allowed, it's only from the radio so it's not something thats sold anywhere commercially for a profit (eg illegal audio-book CD rip).

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Ron McLarty is the only reader to actually bore me while reading an SK book. Either that or it was Blaze the story.
    Hello, some fo you might remember me as filibuster19 back in the day, i had to re register after the site redesign. Good to see everyone is doing well.
    Bag of Bones is the only audio book i believe that would be considered a collectible b/c of the high production value for the packaging.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

As far as the new re-released audio editions, i think they are very poor quality. The audio is very low, House on Maple Street has a clicking/clunking noise in the background the whole time and they never bothered to edit the music cues that were used for when you turned the tape over in the originals.
    They readers/narrarators are great though. Yeardly Smith reads Rainy Season and is quite good.
    I am not a big fan of the audible/itunes versions because of the audio quality. Most of the re-released audio editions on these sites were taken directly from the audio cassette versions and not from the master tapes, which mean that there was no cleaning up of the sound or anything, which is ridiculous!
    Basically they are getting free money for those and quite insulting to me, really.
    Also, they released Regulators and Desperation in abridgements, also insulting.

I am very happen that Under the Dome will be on audio.

Country
    Country Flag

That disappointing to hear fili, lazy god-for-nuthin' audio producers lol.

I wonder how long the Dome audio will be, 40 hours?.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

That disappointing to hear fili, lazy god-for-nuthin' audio producers lol.

I wonder how long the Dome audio will be, 40 hours?.
    24 CD's = 28 hours.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For which King titles did they released abridged audiobooks?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as I know, Regulators, and Desperation. If you want to be technical, the 3-D Mist is also a kind of abridgement, as is the radio version of Pet Semetary. I don't own any of these except The Mist, but I do own the full audio of Regulators and Desperation. There may have been an abridged version of Thinner, too.

John

The Regulators and Desperation are the only full length novels (according to Audible.com) that come abridged.

the 3D audio of the mist was really great.

Have you guys ever heard of those "Cape Cod Radio Mysteries?" They came only as cassettes. When I was a kid there was one I listened to that scared the shit out of me. I listened to it about a year ago and couldn't stop laughing... But they were scary!!!

another REALLY great audio book is "Airframe" by Michael Crichton.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Hello, some fo you might remember me as filibuster19 back in the day, i had to re register after the site redesign. Good to see everyone is doing well.
    Welcome Mike C. aka filibuster19! You should not have had to re-register here at TDT.com. If you were thinking of the defunct TDT.net, this is not a redesign, but a whole new site altogether with a lot of familiar faces.

By the way, once you get to 5 posts, more member abilities will open to you.

- - -
    On the topic of audible.com, I rarely have quality issues with the downloads, and I consider the low membership prices to be fair.

Thanks Patrick, I hadn't posted anything in 3 years so I figured my account didn't exsist anymore. Oh well.
    Does anyone else think Lindsay Crouse is the best narrarator besides King?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast