Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

+1 to Merlins statment above.

I spoke with Glenn on Saturday, and when I mentioned TDT.org, he kinda laughed and said something to the effect of "boy, not alot of people like me there right now". I asked if he meant the "Bradbury thing", he smiled and said "yeah". He then went on to mention that he DOES have pretty thick skin by this point in his career, and knows that he can't please everyone.

For all that have not met him he seems a genuinely nice guy. I had a great talk with him and he offered to help me out with a few things. I live about an hour away, so we have travelled many of the same roads. I look forward to speaking with him again.

I guess that i just wanted to support Bill and his point. Everyone has their own opinion of what is good art and is more than welcome to it. Just be aware of the artists feelings when passing judgment.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the look of it and picked up a limited.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered a limited from CD.

People are either going to like Chadbourne's work or not. I like his buildings, spooky woods and other landscapes. I don't like his rendering of people very much.

I think the issue lately has been more about the amount of his work recently available. He got that work because he is good at what he does. He is also fast which publishers like. There has been a lot of Chadbourne art in recent limited editions. This results in the "Chadbourne again" syndrome.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I passed from PS, but ended up buying it from CD. I am a bit tired of Chadbourne, but Something Wicked is a great Bradbury story.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Merlin, I appreciate the thought that went into your post and your defensive comments r.e. your friend are well-taken, but art -- whether it's fiction or visual -- inherently demands a reaction from its public. Art is not only subjective, as you rightly point out, but it's reliant upon a personal interpretive interaction with an individual(s); without an audience, art cannot truly exist. I'm not sure how an audience can truthfully comment on any art -- a Chadbourne sketch or a King novel, etc. -- without expressing that personal interpretation. In my mind, any perceived consensus in these quarters about Chadbourne's art isn't symptomatic of a thoughtless pile-on that disregards the feelings or reputation of the artist, but rather simply a shared interpretation. Should that shared interpretation be tempered in public expression? I'd suggest a forum environment that focuses specifically on art -- i.e. King's work -- and one's opinions on it is precisely the appropriate environment. That said, comments that are either more about the artist than the art or are designed to belittle rather than inform clearly have no place in a respectful forum like TDT. To my mind, though, I haven't seen comments of that type here.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Not a limited edition but a nice new edition of The Halloween Tree illustrated by Gris Grimly: http://www.amazon.com/The-Halloween-...dp_kinw_strp_1

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Merlin, I appreciate the thought that went into your post and your defensive comments r.e. your friend are well-taken, but art -- whether it's fiction or visual -- inherently demands a reaction from its public. Art is not only subjective, as you rightly point out, but it's reliant upon a personal interpretive interaction with an individual(s); without an audience, art cannot truly exist. I'm not sure how an audience can truthfully comment on any art -- a Chadbourne sketch or a King novel, etc. -- without expressing that personal interpretation. In my mind, any perceived consensus in these quarters about Chadbourne's art isn't symptomatic of a thoughtless pile-on that disregards the feelings or reputation of the artist, but rather simply a shared interpretation. Should that shared interpretation be tempered in public expression? I'd suggest a forum environment that focuses specifically on art -- i.e. King's work -- and one's opinions on it is precisely the appropriate environment. That said, comments that are either more about the artist than the art or are designed to belittle rather than inform clearly have no place in a respectful forum like TDT. To my mind, though, I haven't seen comments of that type here.
    Your points are well taken and I hesitated to respond, but you also illustrated my point exactly. I do not pretend to regulate anyone's comments, good or bad, on an actual piece of art produced by an artist. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I do take exception to is the references by various members made simply from announcing that, Glen will be the designated artist before anyone has actually viewed the work or, he has even begun to produce it. I do not wish to single any particular members out and with all due respect I submit that I may get around these threads a bit more than yourself and I have seen this type of response time and again in various threads.

IMHO, that sort of comment does not serve the "Art World" and borders on detriment to a man's career which, is what I was trying to allude to in my post. Buy his work or don't, but you do not need to conduct a campaign designed to prevent others from even looking, no? I apologize in advance if I am less than articulate in conveying my thoughts, but I hope you take my drift.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Not a limited edition but a nice new edition of The Halloween Tree illustrated by Gris Grimly: http://www.amazon.com/The-Halloween-...dp_kinw_strp_1
    You can get a signed & remarqued copy here if you order before Halloween: https://www.madcreator.com/store/index.cfm
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

Just purchased a copy. Thank's for the tip.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by richardsrarebooks View Post
    Just purchased a copy. Thank's for the tip.
    Sure thing

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The seller with the $35 signed/limited version of The Cat's Pajamas has some more available right now on Ebay HERE. Go get 'em if you want 'em!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    The seller with the $35 signed/limited version of The Cat's Pajamas has some more available right now on Ebay HERE. Go get 'em if you want 'em!
    That is Peter Schneider, (Owner of what was Hill House) He is selling off what stock he has left from the warehouse.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Thank youuuuuu! Been kicking myself for missing this one last time.

Country
    Country Flag

Received the original pumpkin art for chapter 12 of the Halloween Tree. Gris also matched my remarque.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

There are still a few more days to order a color remarqued copy if anyone still wants one:

https://www.madcreator.com/store/index.cfm

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JAMMF View Post
    There are still a few more days to order a color remarqued copy if anyone still wants one:

https://www.madcreator.com/store/index.cfm
    they're nice - i have one too - that matches my framed pumpkin - i might've posted previously

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Any of you proof collectors interested in a Bradbury Cat's Pajamas Hill House Proof/ARC? It is Like New never read

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Any of you proof collectors interested in a Bradbury Cat's Pajamas Hill House Proof/ARC? It is Like New never read
    I am.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone think that some authors' works are best suited for a certain format? I would love to have Centipede's edition of The Forevar War, Ender's Game, and especially Gene Wolfe's New Sun quartet. Form follows function, know what I mean? I mean, I can't think of a better format for Bradbury than paperbacks. I do have hardcovers and I want to get more of them, but a title like Vintage Bradbury is best read in paperback, dog ears and all.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What will be the cornerstone of my non-SK collection arrived today!!!

Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not a Bradbury collector, but that is amazing! Where do you find something like this?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, wolfehr. I am so jealous! Wonderful book!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

AMAZING book, and what a wonderful signature and inscription!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast