Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Book Grading/A changing industry/parallel collectible trends

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Grading/A changing industry/parallel collectible trends

Ok, firstly there are many thing to discuss about the book collecting industry of which of course, directly pertains to us Stephen King collectors.
    Let me first start this rambling by posing this question. What would you do if you saw copies of IT, or EYES OF THE DRAGON, or MISERY, or THE TALISMAN selling for $400-$500 a piece?? What would you think if you saw copies of THE GUNSLINGER selling for $2000 a piece? Copies of THE STAND (with its know condition problems) selling for $3000???!!!
    I believe that this is where the King market is going and this will totally revolutionize book collecting as a whole. This has already happened with Coins, Sports Cards, vintage toys….COMICS!!!
    These collectables have third party grading companies that certify and guarantee authenticities, and condition, as well as generating population reports that shows relative scarcities. What would you think if you saw a population report on Stephen King’s IT which showed that (lets just say that 500 copies were submitted)…only 3 of those copies came back graded at PRISTINE….maybe 25 copies (next level down) came back as MINT…..140 copies at Near Mint…and so on and so forth. What would you pay to be the owner of one of the 3 PRISTINE copies???
    I hear from these boards and other forums where I’ve brought this subject up that people are opposed to this idea because “they will ALWAYS want to be able to open their book” “or..the smell of the paper…” “or…but if it’s signed I would like to GAZE upon the signature from time to time…”
    My idea is that if this third party grading system does come about there will probably be a laminated paper certificate that is issued with the (now perfectly encased and protected book) which shows all first edition points. Much like that of a GIA diamond certificate. This certificate would have some type ofJPEP image of the signature…probably a few thumbnails of the stated “first edition”…”gutter code” and other unique first edition identifiers.
    Thoughts?
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

While I don't doubt it may happen, I think it's a horrible idea. The cost would probably be astronomical per book seeing as comics run anywhere from 80-100 per book.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You do have a point there kingfan. I know it costs around $15-$20 per comic (for the newer ones) to get graded...and more for the older ones. I would suspect that the cost would be a bit more per book for sure. I know it costs around $200 to get a diamond graded. lol

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Lol diamonds... What a racket

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hate this idea as much as I hate comic book grading. Since modern comics are worth next to nothing, someone had to come up with a way to make them "valuable." I buy comic books because I enjoy the story AND the art. Why would I wan't it encased in lucite/plastic so I can't see it? I'm all for protecting Detective Comics #27, Superman #1, etc. Those books have real value. The modern stuff, not so much. At least with baseball cards that are graded, you can still see the front and back, so it isn't as bad to me.

As for books being locked up in lucite and graded, I would absolutely hate it for alot of the reasons you mentioned. I like to look at my books, show them to people, etc. Encased books would be a joke to me.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a horrible idea. It wouldn't be book collecting at that point. It would just be collecting. I wouldn't buy them.

I suppose someone could open a shop called Inaccessible Books and charge a premium for them though* **.

I also don't have much faith in third party COAs. What a forger's dream. They would no longer have to fake the signature. They could just photocopy a signature onto a fake COA.

*Certificate of grading and authenticity void if opened.
    **"There's a sucker born every minute."
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Lol diamonds... What a racket
    The cosmos is literally littered with diamonds.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."