Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why is this your least favorite of the series?

Traveler chris777 is on a distinguished road

First, I'm in the middle of Book7...not quite finished with the series yet. I didn't read everyones comment, but from my own perspective. I was kind of annoyed with how SK inserted himself, how he called himself a GOD. The songs, and explinations of different books. Basically the non-fiction stuff he was trying to portray so it felt somewhat 'real'. Also felt like SK just kept refering to how good of a writer he is. I skimmed thru a lot of parts =/ Didn't do that in any other book. And i never got that choked up feelign of sad or awesome that I got in most the other ones. Most notibly Book4, wizard, when Alain gets behind Big Coffing hunter, then Roland gets behind Jonas. That got me choked up. And also when
    Spoiler:
    SHEEMIE comes back in book 7!

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Susannah is my most favorite of all the Ka-tet. (Actually the Detta Walker part of her personality is the best.) I love that she is black and crazy. I think that Detta is tougher and has more balls than Roland himself. I think that even Roland is scared of Detta.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    First, I'm in the middle of Book7...not quite finished with the series yet. I didn't read everyones comment, but from my own perspective. I was kind of annoyed with how SK inserted himself, how he called himself a GOD. The songs, and explinations of different books. Basically the non-fiction stuff he was trying to portray so it felt somewhat 'real'. Also felt like SK just kept refering to how good of a writer he is.
    Spoiler:
    SHEEMIE comes back in book 7!

by the end hes changed that from how much of a good writer he to how much of a dickhead writer he is

it rocks
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

John F. Kennedy Lowmen45 is on a distinguished road Lowmen45's Avatar

Default I hate Mia & Calvin Tower. *spoilers

I HATE MIA< I HATE THAT CHARACTER!!!. I hate her, "The Chaps hunger" :my chap, my chap, my chap, bla bla bla, god, I frigging hate her, and Calvin Tower, I wish eddie blew his brains out. Ah, sorry bout that, just had to let it out, some irratating moments in book 6. I love this book, like the others, but this is the weakest link so far. Its just so annoying having that multiple personalities situation back again. And as far as Calvin, jesus christ, die. lol.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So...ummm....what do you think about Mia? How about Calvin Tower?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

dont hold back there Lowmen, tell us what you really think

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, you guys beat me to the post, as I too was unclear as to Sai Lowmen's true feelings. haha.

Yeah, according to our polls, SoS is the least popular installment. Though, there are a few members who claim it as their favorite.

We love them anyway.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Lowmen45, I agree 100% with you, and then some!

Thank ye sai.

The only other book in the series I was getting annoyed listening too the audio version was book 4, with its constant references to roland kissing, the love this, the kissing that, her hair was this, her mouth was that. Roland even tells eddie "Love is borring", and he nails that fact hard. Its okay to describe it twice or three times, but twenty gets old fast. I loved Wizard and Glass, but was getting that same annoyed felling during some parts. Stephen can backtrack , and ramble abit sometimes "comme commme comalla" ring a bell, *shakes head* jesus, I hate to say this, but damm that was unnecessary, and stupid. ^Every chapter in book six, when it ended with the stanza and response, I was shaking my head. This is my first time through the tower series, and after being a king fan for twenty years, I cant believe I waited this long. Im a hudge Rings, Silmarillon, fan, ,this series I like more to my surprise. Book 3, 5, and 7 in this series are my favorites. Cant wait for W.I.T.Keyhole.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i know what you mean about W&G, its not my favourite but a surprising number of people like it? hmm

you'll find different threads for each book - i'm sure you will love the discussions, they are very varied

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great discussion lowman, welcome to the site. We have a forum for this kind of stuff so don't be surprised if there is a merge.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Thank you , all of you. I cant believe, being a big fan of King for so many years, I just recently purchased all the HArdcovers, and all the audio Books. Ive been listen day and night, for a month, and on book seven. Ive always been more than currious about the dark tower, having seen alot of the art, and read little bits of info hear and there. This series just blew my favorite book "The Silmarillon" out of the number 1 spot. But , just like everything, it does have some weaknesses at some points. As stated above, King rambles, and backtracks at uneccessary times, ESPECIAllY in book 6. I really enjoyed Wolves, what a awsome book, def. better I.M.H.O. than the long, over explained Wizard and Glass. Wastelands, Wolves, and DT are my favorites at this point, This last book is just BAMM BAMM BAMM, alot of action so far, and im only about 150 pages in.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you Lowmen, King does ramble a bit, i've never really thought about all the description of kissing and such, thanks for pointing that out.

I too definetly think 3,5 and 7 are the best of them all, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My answer to all of you SoS haters is this

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    My answer to all of you SoS haters is this
    what a come back!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I'm pretty tired and I tend to become childish at this time
    There's a thread for the people who like SoS if you want to understand why it's our favourite.
    Love for Song

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Just to make a clarification, I am not a Stephen King hater, just the opposite in fact. I admire him quite a lot. I also think MOST of his books are great reads. I have read a few of them more then once with great pleasure. But, as Lowmen 45 points out, he does ramble, not a bit, but a LOT, in his later books, repeating the same catch phrases over and over ad nauseam. And for some reason I have trouble with the words he "makes up". They never sit quite right with me. I won't mention which of these words trouble me because I know a lot of the people here really have taken a liking to them!
    This probably should be in another thread too, but I most like his books that have a more straightforward storytelling style, like CUJO, FIRESTARTER, MISERY, THE GREEN MILE, THE STAND, etc., as opposed to the ones that constantly loop back upon themselves and have an idiom or a 'saying' every other paragraph (these REALLY tend to annoy me), as in LISEY'S STORY.
    And just to slightly contradict what I just said, I loved HEARTS IN ATLANTIS.
    Last edited by ur2ndbiggestfan; 12-20-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story is a perfect example to illustrate your complaints; I complain about exactly the same.

But, as you pointed out, it's for another thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I think I'm finally understanding your dislike of Lisey's Story.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know I promised to post in Lisey's Story thread, and it's long overdue; I swear I will when I have a minute!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sending this to the SoS thread.

Yes, it is the simpler straightforward "OLD KING" ; although that was never that straight forward or simple; he did use at lot less reputition. You had to really pay attention, or you would be thrown off the boat easily. His catch phrases dont sit well with me either. Im on book seven now, and theres a point early on, were he even goes as far as to begin speaking to the reader himself, !? breaking character!?, and using "can I get a BIG BIG, , lol. You know what im talking about. ITs not that I hate this, or even dislike it, I just dont prefer it to the older books. It fells rushed, and not as serious when he does this. It also confuses, and takes away from the rush of the story. However, so far, book 7 has been great, except for Flaggs Death *WHY SO EARLY, AND WHY SO EASy.* THIS IS FLAGG, THIS IS THE MAN IN BLACK, FOR MORE THAN 25 YEARS OF STORIES HES HAUNTED, AND ROLANDS ARCH ENEMY* He went out to easy, with no bite as he went down, I wish he would have taken someone with him, hes earned that. IT wasnt right that he should die like that so early in the novel, but oh well. I have a felling he might make another appearance. Back on my point, I really loved book 5, much better than 4, even despite its dialect. This is because it WAS APPROPRIATE in that story because of there environment, the Calla. But to carry that dialect in EXCESS throughout the rest of the stories, was a bad move I.M.H.O.. Its silly. Also, It didnt bother me he was written into the story, that didnt bother me at all. I know alot of people were really worked up about that fact in book 6, but I thought it was kind of cool. He had a small part, and it was funny to me, and interesting. I just dont like how he keeps reminding the reader of shit weve heard 400x before, over and over. EG. She called him Bamma, and cut the crust off his sandwiches. How many times is he gonna to mention this. The worst ramble every, in all the books so far, is the part were jake runs into the Mind Trap, jesus, Ive never heard such a ramble beyound this current post. lol.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, SK does that "talk directly to the reader" bit on a couple of chapters of Under the Dome also, and I felt like it just totally detracted from the story. With the "Now hear me well, and follow me" narration. I just felt that it was totally out of place, and blew the rhythm of the reading.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lowmen45 View Post
    Yes, it is the simpler straightforward "OLD KING" ; although that was never that straight forward or simple; he did use at lot less reputition. You had to really pay attention, or you would be thrown off the boat easily. His catch phrases dont sit well with me either. Im on book seven now, and theres a point early on, were he even goes as far as to begin speaking to the reader himself, !? breaking character!?, and using "can I get a BIG BIG, , lol. You know what im talking about. ITs not that I hate this, or even dislike it, I just dont prefer it to the older books. It fells rushed, and not as serious when he does this. It also confuses, and takes away from the rush of the story. However, so far, book 7 has been great, except for Flaggs Death *WHY SO EARLY, AND WHY SO EASy.* THIS IS FLAGG, THIS IS THE MAN IN BLACK, FOR MORE THAN 25 YEARS OF STORIES HES HAUNTED, AND ROLANDS ARCH ENEMY* He went out to easy, with no bite as he went down, I wish he would have taken someone with him, hes earned that. IT wasnt right that he should die like that so early in the novel, but oh well. I have a felling he might make another appearance. Back on my point, I really loved book 5, much better than 4, even despite its dialect. This is because it WAS APPROPRIATE in that story because of there environment, the Calla. But to carry that dialect in EXCESS throughout the rest of the stories, was a bad move I.M.H.O.. Its silly. Also, It didnt bother me he was written into the story, that didnt bother me at all. I know alot of people were really worked up about that fact in book 6, but I thought it was kind of cool. He had a small part, and it was funny to me, and interesting. I just dont like how he keeps reminding the reader of shit weve heard 400x before, over and over. EG. She called him Bamma, and cut the crust off his sandwiches. How many times is he gonna to mention this. The worst ramble every, in all the books so far, is the part were jake runs into the Mind Trap, jesus, Ive never heard such a ramble beyound this current post. lol.
    Maybe the repetion was necessary because the time lapse between books was immense. If you are lucky enough to be able to buy them all and read them then you do remember about the crusts etc but if you reag Gunslinger 30 years ago maybe not? I do see what you mean though! That said I agree with you about the commala stanzas - could do without them and I am just reading about Calvin Tower in WOC and he is annoying

I think you might have tower overload my friend
    Last edited by Sickrose; 12-20-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lowmen, could you please use the spoiler tags for the parts of the last book you reference? There are some big spoilers there that not everyone here will have read. (I'm not having a go at you. Without meaning to sound patronising, I understand you're new. Basically, on these book threads you can discuss spoilers from the present and previous books without the tags, but anything later (The Dark Tower) should be tagged.)

I agree concerning the repetition of certain phrases. The Calla speak while quaint to start with got a bit painful rather fast. Especially when all the main characters used it a lot too. I understand they're trying to fit in, but it was way overdone.

I didn't mind the stanzas in this book though. Commalla come dubbish, the rhymes were a bit rubbish, but it fits with the song allegory of a the book. The SONG of Susannah.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast