Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DT Comics : Which character is depicted best or worst?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default James Farson ** SPOILERS **

I'm glad that he's going to be back for the next arc, mainly because I thought he was an interesting character and was disappointed to see him go in Treachery before doing anything.

That being said, I found the whole "resurrection" bit hard to swallow...from what little we saw of Walter's abilities in The Gunslinger, when he resurrected Nort, the guy was little more than a zombie. With James, it seems he's in full control of all of his facilities. That, and if Walter could resurrect him, why not Gabrielle whose corpse was probably 'fresher'? He says he couldn't bring her back, but there's no reason why...

He really shouldn't have been killed off to begin with.

On a related note...the backstory presented by Furth said that John Farson killed James' parents, and Walter was pitting the two against each other. Any chance we're going to see that?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SPOILERS!-

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I'm glad that he's going to be back for the next arc, mainly because I thought he was an interesting character and was disappointed to see him go in Treachery before doing anything.
    Me too. I got the impression from one of the other books (End-World Almanac?) that he was a rather more 3 dimensional character than the 'all evil' Farson, and seeing him die so quickly in Treachery was a shame. The sorcerer fixed this somewhat.

That being said, I found the whole "resurrection" bit hard to swallow...from what little we saw of Walter's abilities in The Gunslinger, when he resurrected Nort, the guy was little more than a zombie. With James, it seems he's in full control of all of his facilities.
    I quite liked seeing Walter use this ability again. As for Nort being little more than a zombie, I don't think that was due to his resurrection. That was due to his weed addiction. In fact, if anything, he was a little bit better after his resurrection, showing real humanity as he said to Allie "If he could bring me back, couldn't he have fixed the addiction too?" (That's me paraphrasing from memory.) I think he even put off the weed for a little while, although he soon fell back on old habits.

That, and if Walter could resurrect him, why not Gabrielle whose corpse was probably 'fresher'? He says he couldn't bring her back, but there's no reason why...
    Yeah, I didn't understand that either. Maybe he simply meant that he chose not to, knowing it would make more aggravation with the jinni. An intersting little moment though, where Walter shows some genuine humanity (although he blood droplets had a bit of ick factor.)

On a related note...the backstory presented by Furth said that John Farson killed James' parents, and Walter was pitting the two against each other. Any chance we're going to see that?
    Hopefully! I imagine she will since she mentioned it, although I imagine it depends on how much other stuff they need to cover. Lets hope they don't rush things to much.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

FYI : I put a ** SPOILER ** note in this thread title so you could all write without using spoiler tags!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Considering that it was never revealed what happened to Farson after the war, I would say that it is very possible that Marten manipulates James into killing him.
    Heng Dai

Along the Path of the Beam Wilbur is on a distinguished road Wilbur's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    they said sheemy was a cyborg
    THEY SAID WHAT???????

Thank you Flagg. You just saved me some money on buying these comics. There's NO WAY I'm getting these if they're Fing up things that badly.

My Mood
    Gay

Weeeeelllll, not exactly.

Honestly, if you're a fan, I do recommend everyone reading the comics ( yeah, try not to be surprised ) - if you don't want to collect them, trying for each variant and issue, then I suggest reading the grahphic novels which gather the issues. They're really pretty good and the art is excellent.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Along the Path of the Beam Wilbur is on a distinguished road Wilbur's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you on the art. I have the "Born" graphic novel and the artwork IS beautiful. Alright turtlex, if you say it's worth it and they didn't totally rape the characters, i'll look into getting the other comic arcs.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I quit reading the comics after they said sheemy was a cyborg
    they are good
    but I will never believe that they are canonical
    Is it really true? How is it possible? I don't get it.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Gay

No - check here : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...d.php?p=392824

Sheemie came up in another thread.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    No - check here : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...d.php?p=392824

Sheemie came up in another thread.
    Thank you so much. I feel much much better.

Roland would have understood.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Aileen

Am I the only one who can't stand Aileen? Maybe it's because Furth has pretty much admitted that she's based on her, but she's struck me as a Mary Sue with Furth going out of her way to stress how awesome she is.

***SPOILERS FOR THE GUNSLINGER COMICS****

Heck, it appears that we're going to be seeing more of her in the new series as a ghost or something. Furth is just going to keep on beating us over the head with her.

In her defense, I guess I consider young Roland to be a bit of a Mary Sue as well--he only works, IMO, when he's the grizzled old gunslinger who has lost his humanity and is in the process of discovering it again.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

I like the character, but not the execution of the idea. Does that make sense?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I like the character, but not the execution of the idea. Does that make sense?
    Yes. I was just thinking the same before I read your post.

I thought it was particularly silly when she disguised herself as a boy and... nobody seemed to notice or care. Then this arc, her hair has grown again. So what was that about? (Although I suppose it's quite amusing no one cared.)

Maybe Furth had a thread idea for her then (perhaps on reading reactions or just considering other similar stories*) abandoned it.

*I loved the twist Terry Pratchett provided in Monstrous Regiment though.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a fan of Aileen either, simply for the fact that she gets like what, two pages in the book series?

Like Pam, like the character, not the execution. But, I'm a purist that way. I'm also one of those people who gets bent out of shape when movies veer to far from the books they're based on.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I kinda have the hots for Aileen. I would love to have a Jae Lee drawing of her.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I have a total girl crush on her myself, but again, the idea of character, not the execution.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I kinda have the hots for Aileen. I would love to have a Jae Lee drawing of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Oh, I have a total girl crush on her myself, but again, the idea of character, not the execution.

Double ditto.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean something like this

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That one, exactly.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post

Woot!
    Woot !!

That's the one, yessiree !!!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dave, you wascally wabbitt!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

I would like to like Aileen. It would be nice to see another gunslinger level worthy female before Susannah in the actual series.

Unfortunately, Aileen hits virtually every requirement of a Mary Sue and seems far too much like a Robin Furth self insertion.

1. Related to someone close to Roland? Check (Cort's niece)

2. More skilled or nearly as skilled as the main characters? Check

3. Involved romantically with more than one of the main characters? Check (Roland and Cuthbert)

4. Beautiful, sassy and refuses to adopt the conventions of a male dominated society? Check

She's just too much of a cliche for me to like her. I would have been far more interested in her character if she hadn't been transparently shoe horned into Roland's world.

Country
    Country Flag

Said it much better than I could.

My Collection

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Dave, you wascally wabbitt!
    This was one of the pages that Jae Lee brought to our little Vegas gathering. I requested this page and the double page of the beam Guardians and a couple of others that night. I think its the best Aileen drawing (besides the cover which was way expensive).

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dave-
    Ballpark, what did you pay for the Aileen?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast