Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in King history

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Today in King history

The purpose of this thread is to bring attention to the Calendar, mention relevant incidents in either King's personal history, or dates that occurred in a King book.
    The blurbs posted in the calendar are worded to avoid spoilers. Particularly in the final three Dark Tower books.
    Some items from older books, if read on a daily basis could give bits and pieces away. An example is January, which has many dates and entries for Roadwork. The book is over 30 year old, yet some may not have read it, and don't want anything given away.
    For those individuals, I will try to uses spolier tags on crucial events.
    Other than that, discussion is encouraged.
    Some days there will be few, or no events, others have many.

Todays event:
    Roadwork (1974)
    Spoiler:
    At 1:15pm Sal Magliore called Bart Dawes and told him they could do business.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone has a moment, you should totally check out this calendar. Randall Flagg and a small team have been working it for a few months now.

Most significant occurrences in the King world are on there.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

And we are not done. Probably several hundred more entries to come.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My timeline at the end of The Road to the Dark Tower has a number of dates of events that take place in the series in our world.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a copy. I'll go through those too when I finish the list I'm currently helping to work on.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Today in King history:
    Roadwork (1974) Dawes meets with Magliore's men.
    Spoiler:
    Bart Dawes meets Magliore's men at the Revel Lanes Bowladrome and they went together with them to the Town Line Tavern to transfer expolsives to his car. The 'Fabulous Oysters' performed at the Tavern that night.

The Dead Zone (1975) John Smith speaks, but is not heard, from a coma.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Today in King history:
    Roadwork (1974) Bart Dawes went to the Landing Strip to give Drake $5,000 for the Drop Dead Momma Coffeehouse. Drake refuses so Dawes gives the money to an old drunk.

King interviewed by Ted Koppel on ABC-TV news program 'Nightline' (1984)

'Misery' the play opened at Theatre Three of Athena Hall in Port Jefferson, New York. (2001)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Forgot-Mother Abigail's Birthday today.
    Interestingly enough, my mother's birthday is January 13 also.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Ka.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Should note that because of time differentials (Word?) Abigails' B/D is actiually January 14

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Today in King History:
    Misery-
    An issue of 'Camera' showed a photo of Annie Wilkes under the headline 'New Head Maternity Ward Nurse Named', as Annie became the Head Maternity Nurse at Boulder Hospital. (1982)

Roadwork-Dawes buys a battery at Sears.(1974)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am jumping the gun a bit, but on January 15, in Stephen King history:

1909-Rose Red-John & Ellen Rimbauer move in to Rose Red

1969-The first appearance of King on a magazine cover, that of 'The Maine Campus' (I wonder if a collector has this?)

1974-Roadwork-Bart Dawes offers Sal Magliore $3,000 to find Olivia Brenner and invest $15,000 on her behalf.

1981-The Plant.
    Interesting to note the subtle textual differences between the original (view here at the Catalog), and the E-version.

(Original)-Roger Wade sends a memo to John Kenton about Detweiller's book and the publisher's current position.

(E-version)-
    Various memos were sent between Roger Wade and John Kenton about Carlos Detweiller's letter and other submissions. Harlow Enders gave Zenith House another twelve months to get on sound financial ground.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Plant:
    E-version-John Kenton wrote to Carlos Detweiller accepting his book proposal, asking for a synopsis and the first three chapters. Roger Wade and John Kenton trade memos.

Original-John Kenton wrote to Carlos Detweiller requesting a synopsis and the first three chapters of his book.

Roadwork:
    Dawes posts checkbook to wife. That evening he saw 'The Exorcist' at the movie theater.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

January 19, 1990 was an important day in Dark Tower history:
    Stephen King wrote in his journal. That night he completed 'The Wastelands' manuscript after a five hour session. It was over 800 pages long and King acknowledged that there were a few continuity glitches. As of that point in his career he felt the book was the high point.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ineresting that it will be the day I finish re-reading the same book...well, not 1990, but you know.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roadwork-Bart Dawes standoff reaches violant conclusion. (1974)

Spoiler:

At the conclusion of a violent standoff over the emminent domain possession of his home to build a freeway, Dawes blows himself and his house up.
    Just before detonating the explosives, Dawes placed 'Let it Bleed' on the stereo.
    That night on WHLM news the incident is called 'Dawes' Last Stand'

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I love this thread!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

January 21 in King history:

The Plant
    E-version-Carlos Detweiller wrote to John Kenton stating he would send the entire manuscript of his book as soon as he got the money to post it.

Original-Carlos Detweiller sent a letter to John Kenton advising he would send the entire manuscript of his book to Zenith House.

Christine-Dennis Guilder woke up in hospital. (1979)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lots of items in King history today:

Pet Sematary-Classes at The University of Maine, Orono begin. (1984)

Survivor Type (Skeleton Crew)-An explosion below decks on the 'Callas' causes it to sink.(1971)

Plant, The-Roger Wade sent a memo to John Kenton about Detweiller'setter.(1981)

Dead Zone, The-John Smith writes to his Father from Portsmouth, New Hampshire telling of his fears about Greg Stillson's future. He also writes to Sara Hazlett for the last time. (1979)

Dead Zone, The-Johnny goes gunning for Stillson. (1979)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Several entries today, but perhaps the most important:

King wrote the 'Introduction On Being Nineteen (And a few Other Things)' for the revised and Expanded edition of 'The Gunslinger" and re-releases of Volumes 2-4 of the Dark Tower series. (2003)

Also:
    Dollar Baby 'Paranoid: A Chant' premiers online (2002)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMwSqqc9Ws"]YouTube - Paranoid: A Chant[/ame]

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Online...pfft, who does that?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Grand Opening of Answered Prayers in Junction City, Iowa (Needful Things)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

10 items on the King Calendar today.
    Check them out.
    Topping off the list:
    Blaze commits kidnapping (1974)
    Spoiler:
    Claiborne Blaisdell jr. kidnapped Joseph Gerard III from his home in Ocomo Heights.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Is it really 23 years since Boris died? He is sadly missed.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Richard Bachman Dead.......

February 9th. I apologize in advance for catching your attention, but I thought this particular entry in the King Calendar (temporarily) deserved it's own thread. It will be quickly folded back into the original thread.
    Apologies also for jumping the gun on the date, but circumstances dictate.

To wit:
    According to a death notice in the May 1985 Castle Rock newsletter, this is the day Richard Bachman died. The notice reads: 'Richard Bachman, 40(?) of New Hampshire (pick a town, make one up?) died of exposure February 9th, 1985. Bachman, a writer is survived by his wife, Claudia Inez, and half brother, John swithen. Bachman was a merchant seaman for many years before settling down on a dairy farm to write.
    Event Options :: Edit Event :: Delete Event :: Move Event

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast