Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Paramount remaking Pet Sematary

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

It could manage to be a good remake (but I do ask how to you replace Fred Gwynne?), though I'm in the camp with those that don't understand why any movie made before 1995 has to be remade all of a sudden. With all the SK books that haven't been adapted at all yet, why are we moving backwards? Seriously, I'm still waiting impatiently for a movie to be made from Cell.

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Underwood View Post
    It could manage to be a good remake (but I do ask how to you replace Fred Gwynne?), though I'm in the camp with those that don't understand why any movie made before 1995 has to be remade all of a sudden. With all the SK books that haven't been adapted at all yet, why are we moving backwards? Seriously, I'm still waiting impatiently for a movie to be made from Cell.
    My thoughts exactly.

How can you replace, Fred Gwynne? I love South Park's "Pet Sematary" episode. ROFLMAO...

"Here son...you're an abomination now. You must feed."

"Can't I just have a plate of spaghetti O's?"
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Leave out the metaphysics, (as the film mostly did) and South Park's mockery of PS definitely makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice Dionysus View Post
    I look forward to it with a strange mixture of skepticism and optimism. I'm prepared in event of it sucking, but hope it doesn't.
    My feelings exactly. Still.

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Leave out the metaphysics, (as the film mostly did) and South Park's mockery of PS definitely makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice Dionysus View Post
    I look forward to it with a strange mixture of skepticism and optimism. I'm prepared in event of it sucking, but hope it doesn't.
    My feelings exactly. Still.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default Pet Sematary remake

Maybe this has been posted here somewhere and I just can't find it. Or maybe it just has not yet been talked about. If this thread needs to be merged with a thread about this that is already open... by all means...

So, they are apparently talking about a remake of "Pet Sematary". The screen writer who brought us "1408", which I quite enjoyed is currently working on the script. I loved the novel and I loved the original movie. I thought it was, and still is, great. I just hope they don't screw this up. I'm not sure what to think about it. What say you all SK junkies?

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archive...ry_remake.html
    http://www.beyondhollywood.com/1408-...matary-remake/
    http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...-is-bettah.php

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I say there is no good reason for a remake. In fact there is no good reason for most remakes.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

So the guy who adapted 1408 is doing it? Great, we should see some pointless additions that take away from the plot rather than enhance it. I'm psyched.*

*The bad way.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I am not fond of remakes, either but if this one showed the emotional side of the story more I wouldn't mind it.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never saw the original, but King books have a bad track record for adaptation.

While some feel "remakes" are a bad idea, when it comes to books I think it's a good idea if the original was a horrible adaptation of the source material (case in point LotR).

Then again King books readaptations don't seem to do that well either ("The Shining").
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

. . . I approve! It seems to me that Hollywood's on a roll with good Stephen King adaptions, with 1408 and The Mist. I don't remember the first Pet Sematary film (though I did see the sequel as a kid, and it really terrified me), but I'm looking forward to a remake. If it sucks, oh well. That's that.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think any adaptation or readaptation of SK's work is good for me. I enjoy seeing them, even if they ultimately suck. I don't care if they remain true to the source material. I don't care if they are low budget. I don't care about most of the things that everyone seems to be so aprehensive about. I enjoy the movie for 90 minutes, and then go on with my life. If it sucks, i.e. "The Mangler", then I will never watch it again. If it is ok, i.e Cujo, then I may watch it a few times. If it is fantastic, i.e. Stand by Me, then I will watch it over and over. But, I will not sit back and say, " I don't think this movie should be made etc.etc.etc. I think that most of the people that complain about SK's movies still go and see the new release when it comes out.........I guess so they can complain about how terrible it was.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For those of you that have not seen the original Pet Semetary, that is a shame. It cut a few of the weirder things from the book but I think it was still one of the scariest movies made from a King novel. And I almost forgot that it was filmed really close to where King lived when he got the idea for the book. I think he required it when he sold the rights.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    And I almost forgot that it was filmed really close to where King lived when he got the idea for the book. I think he required it when he sold the rights.
    I didn't know that. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

i just re-watched "Pet Sematary" and I must say that I think this movie is excellent. I loved the acting. The cast did a great job. I thought the director was excellent. I think this movie can be made better by today's graphics and design. It was a great movie for its time and it still stands very tall today, but I don't think a re-make will hurt it. I remember reading the book when I was 13 years old. It was my first Stephen King book. I had just finished my Goosebumps phase a year before and I skipped right past the teen fiction genre and moved on to novels. Dean Koontz' "The Mask" was my first novel and this was my second. I remember this book scaring the shit out of me, solidifying King in my mind and drawing me to read many more of his books. This novel and movie have a special place in my heart and I'm looking forward to a new adaptation. I was impressed with the work done on 1408 and I think that it will be done right. I'm excited for this thing now.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    And I almost forgot that it was filmed really close to where King lived when he got the idea for the book. I think he required it when he sold the rights.
    There are a lot of interesting facts behind this book and movie and how they compare to King's real life.

This is not one of those facts but, if it is true, it is very funny to me: Pet Sematary is banned in Germany.

I also just re-watched it. It is still good but some of the effects are a little dated.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    There are a lot of interesting facts behind this book and movie and how they compare to King's real life.

This is not one of those facts but, if it is true, it is very funny to me: Pet Sematary is banned in Germany.

I also just re-watched it. It is still good but some of the effects are a little dated.
    Banned? I guess it means every German kid has seen it already.

Anyway when I was watching the movie I was wondering what kind of effects it had on the kids who acted in it. I mean what did their parents tell them about the story? 'Come on honey, you will play in a movie about dead people and animals coming alive.' Or what? I always wonder about this when I see a horror movie with very young characters in it.

Anyway when I was watching the movie I was wondering what kind of effects it had on the kids who acted in it. I mean what did their parents tell them about the story? 'Come on honey, you will play in a movie about dead people and animals coming alive.' Or what? I always wonder about this when I see a horror movie with very young characters in it.[/QUOTE]

Gage Creed actor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miko_Hughes
    Ellie Creed actress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_Berdahl

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I will definitely give it a chance. It is hard to form an opinion about something before you see it. That is what bothers me about certain types of people. Just because its not the original doesn't mean it won't be great.
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Anyway when I was watching the movie I was wondering what kind of effects it had on the kids who acted in it. I mean what did their parents tell them about the story? 'Come on honey, you will play in a movie about dead people and animals coming alive.' Or what? I always wonder about this when I see a horror movie with very young characters in it.

Gage Creed actor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miko_Hughes
    Ellie Creed actress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_Berdahl
    After reading the article I can say they both are doing just fine.

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I think any adaptation or readaptation of SK's work is good for me. I enjoy seeing them, even if they ultimately suck. I don't care if they remain true to the source material. I don't care if they are low budget. I don't care about most of the things that everyone seems to be so aprehensive about. I enjoy the movie for 90 minutes, and then go on with my life. If it sucks, i.e. "The Mangler", then I will never watch it again. If it is ok, i.e Cujo, then I may watch it a few times. If it is fantastic, i.e. Stand by Me, then I will watch it over and over. But, I will not sit back and say, " I don't think this movie should be made etc.etc.etc. I think that most of the people that complain about SK's movies still go and see the new release when it comes out.........I guess so they can complain about how terrible it was.
    This is how I see things.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    This is how I see things.
    1) While I dislike the idea of remakes, I am not opposed to all on principle. I have seen some good remakes. However, given the large number of King stories AS YET UNADAPTED FOR THE SCREEN, why remake one that is already on film?

2) I go with hope that it won't suck, not to complain that it does.

3) I will, however, complain if I feel it sucks - such as 1408. While it had some excellent effects and genuinely creepy moments, the needless additions immediately turned me off to the film, completely lowering its overall impact as a piece of art. Great story; mediocre film. Stop adding shit that just has mass and takes up space. WHY?!?! King's a better writer and has a better imagination than you. Stick to his bloody story.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really wouldn't be opposed to a remake of Pet Sematary. That story will always hold a special place in my heart since it was the first King story I read. So I would love to see a really good film made from it. The only thing that worries me is that it's by the people that brought us 1408 which I honestly wasn't a huge fan of.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    it was the first King story I read.
    Me too! 1408 was a let down for me also--just didn't cut it.

I wouldn't worry too much about a PS remake right now. I remember reading about it in 2006 when it had a plan for a 2009 release date. So either I totally missed it, or something's just not flowing well in the production stages.

I'd definitely go see it if it did happen though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It is really amazing how many people read Pet Semetary first. It was my first SK book as well. (And technically my second too, since I immediately reread it) Do we have a thread about "What was the first SK book that you read?" I would be interested in seeing how many read Pet Semetary first.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast