Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cards from the Crypt: Sketch Cards and Art by Ryan ⓡ

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Cards from the Crypt: Sketch Cards and Art by Ryan ⓡ

Sketch cards are hand-crafted miniature original art pieces that come in a variety of sizes, including the standard trading card size (2.5"x3.5"), a "pano" (panel) size comprising two standard cards (3.5"x5"), a triptych (3.5"x7.5") and a "twice-up" size (5"x7" or four cards stacked 2x2). Each one is an original 1/1 piece and not intended for reproduction.

The cards lend themselves well to creating in a series, are not as time-consuming as larger pieces, and are quite affordable to buy, trade and collect--and they're easy to ship. Plus, they don't take up a lot of space in a collection and display very well using toploaders, card frames, easels and other trading card supplies. In short, they are a lot of fun for both creators and collectors. Aside from "official" sketch cards mixed at random into retail packs for lucky collectors (and dealers) to find when purchasing card releases at stores, many artists create their own personalized card blanks to commission, create tribute fan art and parodies, or craft their own original characters and series. In this thread, I'll be sharing some of my creations--both "official" and personal, starting with my Inktober project, a series of horror tribute cards I think of as the Cards from the Crypt! 🦇💀☠

With apologies to Al Feldstein...
    EC Comics tribute card (2.5"x3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

?
    More info yo! That's cool.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Peekaboo!

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    ?
    Check the edit.

With apologies to Reed Crandall...
    EC Comics tribute card (2.5" x 3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Splitting Headache

With apologies to Jack Davis...
    EC Comics tribute card "PANO" size (3.5" x 5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    ?
    Check the edit.

With apologies to Reed Crandall...
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
    Is this thread about just showing these items or are they for sale?
    (sorry if I missed something)

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Longest Walker

I love these old Signet Bachmans.
    The Long Walk tribute-trading card size (2.5" x 3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dismember Me Fondly

With apologies to Joe Orlando...
    EC Comics tribute card "PANO" size (3.5" x 5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These are great! Where have you been Ryan?!? I'm still in love with my Ryan original Poe picture!!!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    These are great! Where have you been Ryan?!? I'm still in love with my Ryan original Poe picture!!!
    Hi, dnemec! Great to hear from you. My King book collecting hit a wall years ago when I pretty much got everything I can (or am willing to) afford, but I still check in from time-to-time. These days, I mostly just buy his new releases. I've made this thread to share some of the card art I've been doing for the last six or seven years, and to motivate myself to keep working. I'm glad you're still enjoying your Poe!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Mummy Dearest

Inspired by Jack Davis...
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Oh Dear, Another Full Moon

First time using screentone on a card. Super fun.
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

SOLD

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Rise and Slime, It's Dinner Time

💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Midnight Snack

Horror Comics tribute card (2.5" x 3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Use It or Lose It

EC Comics tribute card (2.5"x3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Garbage Pail Kings

For several years, I took on commissioned sketch card projects for the Topps company, working on licensed properties like Wacky Packages, Star Wars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Stranger Things. But my favorite projects--mostly due to nostalgic reasons as I was the perfect age for the original releases in the mid-80s--were for Garbage Pail Kids. There was always a stipulation in the contract that I had to use characters already established in the series--I couldn't use my own original creations--but I did manage to sneak in some original designs and scenarios surrounding them. The horror-themed sets were my wheelhouse, and they had established a number of King parody characters I jumped at the chance to interpret in my own style. I'll share some of my favorites.

"Plungin' Penny"
    GPK Stephen King Parody (2.5"x3.5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Salem's Snot

"Haunted Hollis/Batty Barney"
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Nickelsmart

"Benny Wise"
    GPK Stephen King Parody PANO (3.5"x5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Come Slay With Us, Danny

"Shining Sheila"
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default No Fair!

"Chet Sematary"
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Okay, that's enough of that. I drew hundreds of these things, but I don't think I'll ever do another one.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Typical Friday Night

EC Comics tribute card (4.5" x 5.75")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

EC Comics tribute card (3.5" x 5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Everyone Needs a Hug Now and Then

EC Comics tribute card (3.5" x 5")
    💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Ryan! I mistakenly stumbled outside of Calvin's Corner and Starkblast and into this thread ... and glad I did, because these are absolutely awesome! I actually just became aware of art sketch cards about two months ago, came across (and bought) a Charlie Blackmon (Colorado Rockies) one put out by Topps, thought it was cool as hell. Are yours done in india ink, or something similar? I still have the Wastelands case that you designed the art for me on years ago, and of course all the prelim sketches that we went through. I'll need you to go ahead and become super famous so my great-grandkids can show up on Antiques Roadshow someday with all the stuff! Hope you're doing good!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, but this has kinda been bugging me. I love your work, but am unclear on what the little r in a circle is suppose to be. It's not a trademark notice.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast