Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    As for series, here's my unsolicited opinion. Series such as LOTR, DT, Harry Potter, could be considered as one novel because there is one plot and the books must be read in order. But series where the books can be read out of order and understood independently (such as Dragonriders of Pern, Underworld, or Narnia) wouldn't be considered as one volume.
    this is exactly what I think! Sarah, you are my Lady Fair.

On being biased, no, it doesn't seem this way, judging by the nominations

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn .... total forget to nomine:

Tunnel in the Sky Robert A. Heinlein

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears nominate

Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman

Traveler jertoncvv is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Seconded: Crime and Punishment; Lolita; The Dark Tower; Musashi ; On the Road.

Nominating: Sidartha (Herman Hesse)

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating Artemis Fowl (series) by Eoin Colfer.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It will definitely be skewed favorably for DT and SK works as opposed to on a non-King site, I think that's a given, but exacerbating it doesn't do any good.

At least you admit (or allude that) it's not just, Bears. It's your game, so I defer to your judgement. Just because a series follows one story-arc, doesn't make it any less of a series. A series is a group of related things-- books are plural. That'd be my most basic component of an argument (coupled with people having huge discrepancies in their enjoyment of a series from book-to-book).

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding:
    The Time Machine
    The Island of Dr.Moreau

Nominating La Peau de Chagrin by Honore de Balzac.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    As for series, here's my unsolicited opinion. Series such as LOTR, DT, Harry Potter, could be considered as one novel because there is one plot and the books must be read in order. But series where the books can be read out of order and understood independently (such as Dragonriders of Pern, Underworld, or Narnia) wouldn't be considered as one volume.
    this is exactly what I think! Sarah, you are my Lady Fair.

On being biased, no, it doesn't seem this way, judging by the nominations
    Thanks! Unfortunately, this stopped me from nominating Narnia.

Edit: Also, apologies, in my original post I meant Discworld. I don't know anything about Underworld.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it an advantage or disadvantage when a series gets multiple nominations? Is the author to blame for not combining them according to this arbitrary value, or to credit for still being hard for fans to narrow down?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Discworld is a perfect example of the kind of series that can't be allowed in this type of poll and The Dark Tower or Harry Potter can, though I still disagree with the "one long novel" notion. I hope the difference is notable between these two types of series. One tells a single ongoing story. The other tells different stories with the same characters and settings.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Artemis Fowl (series) seconded.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominated:
    Pastime - Robert B. Parker
    Seconding:
    Of Mice and Men
    The Time Machine
    The Island of Dr.Moreau

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating The Neverending Story.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

NOMINATING

2nded

NOMINATING

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

seconded
    Sidartha
    Neverending Story
    The Hound of Baskerville

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I botched it the first time around, I'm renominating-in proper fashion-Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.

Voting for The Master and Margarita and The Stand.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    NOMINATING
    Great nomination!! I'll second that as well!!!

Nominate: "Murder on the Orient Express", by Agatha Christie
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

bears nominate La vie de Gargantua et de Pantagruel by Rabelais
    Think I have this in a drawer somewhere lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

2nd Murder on the Orient Express and nominate

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    2nd Murder on the Orient Express and nominate
    Cool. I was back and forth on these two, so thank you. Both are "classic" books IMHO Oh, and I second, Needfulthings' nomination!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Hound of the Baskervilles.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    bears nominate La vie de Gargantua et de Pantagruel by Rabelais
    Think I have this in a drawer somewhere lol
    Matt!!!! you're going to love it!!!!!!! Assuming the translation is good, of course.

bears would second The Hound of the Baskervilles if it wasn't nominated out of turn.

I hope it will be re-nominated.

Guys, how is it possible that nobody has either read or loved Up the Down Staircase? I thought it was an American classic?

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding None and Hound.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Nominating The Neverending Story.
    Sorry, no never-ending stories allowed in this type of poll. All stories must have definable parameters and be fundamentally separate from all of the world's other novels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast