Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 441 FirstFirst ... 238 288 328 336 337 338 339 340 348 388 438 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've never had a theater to myself. The closest I've come in me and three other people. One day, though. One day.
    It's... beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Identity is a solid genre pick. It's very well done and an interesting concept for a film. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 10 for 2003 though. There were too many good movies that year. Top 20, maybe. I don't really have the patience to make lists though. Even if I take a few hours to make it up and write them down and rank them, it's going to have to be changed in a few years anyways, as my tastes change, as I see new movies from that year or decade...My top ten for the 2000's that I made here years ago would be so very different now...save for the first two movies.
    Lists of this nature are fun to look back on though. They help me remember which films came out which years.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Identity is a solid genre pick. It's very well done and an interesting concept for a film. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 10 for 2003 though. There were too many good movies that year. Top 20, maybe. I don't really have the patience to make lists though. Even if I take a few hours to make it up and write them down and rank them, it's going to have to be changed in a few years anyways, as my tastes change, as I see new movies from that year or decade...My top ten for the 2000's that I made here years ago would be so very different now...save for the first two movies.
    Lists of this nature are fun to look back on though. They help me remember which films came out which years.
    Is Identity the best of 2003? For me it is, but that's what's fun about lists, people's taste are different and what works for one person won't work (or won't as well) for someone else. I'm OCD and obsessed with lists and making these list for every year since 1980 has been immense fun. I've already had to go back numerous times to add movies I forgot about or rearrange the order. And because editing your lists is so easy on Letterboxd, these are always evolving. I like living lists more than something static that's once published cannot be changed. I cannot see every movies out there and if I suddenly see something mind-blowing from 2003 that I haven't seen before, it's possible I'll move Identity down. Unlikely, but it can happen. Or I could re-watch Return of the King and realize it's a masterpiece that was worth 11 Oscars all on its own and it wasn't all for the trilogy as a whole with an amazing first part, an okay second part, and a good third part.

Also, Identity being a so-called genre film is kinda odd to me. All movies are some type of genre: drama, comedy, sci-fi, horror, etc. (Note, animated is not a genre, it's a medium). I wish more critical acclaim and Oscar recognition would be given to horror and sci-fi and thriller films, these "genre" genres, and not just dramas. I have plenty of dramas in my top fives every year but I judge each movie on its own merits and if it's a sci-fi movie or a horror movie, or what have you, I'll rank it accordingly. The only genre I don't have as much of is straight up comedy, since they're usually so light. But I have ranked some great comedies pretty highly. I have Game Night at 13 for 2018, Toni Erdmann at 5 for 2016 (though it's definitely both a drama and a comedy), It's a Disaster at 8 for 2012, and so on. I wonder when I'll have a pure comedy at number 1. Maybe when I get to the 1930s cause screwball comedies are my jam. Bringing Up Baby is my second most favorite film of all time.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Also, Identity being a so-called genre film is kinda odd to me. All movies are some type of genre: drama, comedy, sci-fi, horror, etc. (Note, animated is not a genre, it's a medium). I wish more critical acclaim and Oscar recognition would be given to horror and sci-fi and thriller films, these "genre" genres, and not just dramas.

A genre flick is just a movie that is purposely fitting inside a genre of film with an existing audience. Drama doesn't have a built in audience the same way horror or science fiction does. Drama is basically base film. It has no definitive genre and can basically be about anything. Whereas genre pictures generally have a constraining set of themes, settings, and motifs. Identity is a genre film because it uses a horror movie formula: people at a location are being killed one by one and that is the driving force of the film. Genre film isn't a measure of quality or a diminutive, just a method of categorization. But you have to judge a genre film differently than a drama, imo. But that's what makes genre films so difficult to compare to dramas. How can you weigh Upgrade or Mission Impossible: Fallout to Roma or Leave No Trace? It's impossible.

Many genre films get tons of critical acclaim and Oscar love. There has been 1 or 2 genre films nominated for best picture nearly every year this decade. Numerous years genre films have walked away with more Oscars than any other film that year (Shape of Water, Mad Max, Life of Pi) and some have won prestigious oscars like Best Picture/Director/Screenplay (Shape of Water, Get Out, Her). I would love to see a Best Genre Film Oscar, but that would end up like Foreign/Animated where if one of those films gets Best Picture nominee too, it's a lock.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

More genre films have been getting the spotlight, sure, but they're starting at around zero. Other than Ghost, The Silence of the Lambs and The Sixth Sense, pretty much all other Best Picture nominees in the 1990s were essentially dramas. There have been oddities like that with the Oscars, always, let's not forget The Exorcist and Star Wars were nominated for Best Picture. But still the vast majority of nominees will be straight dramas. But there's really nothing that makes a drama an inherently better film. And I love me a good depressing drama as much as anyone, but film is film, and all of it should be considered equally. My top two movies of last year were a mind-fuck of a sci-fi horror film with a screaming bear monster and a 15-minute interpretive dance number at the end which was both terrifying and beautiful, and a superhero movie that was unlike any ever made and quite possibly the best of its sub-genre with so many new visuals no one has ever seen before, I couldn't believe what I was watching (when that bananas post-credits scene came up I thought it made perfect sense to see something like it at the end, any other film and it would have been laughable - in a bad way). Both were obviously not nominated for Best Picture but should've been. I don't think, looking back in 20-30 years people will think much about Green Book or even Bohemian Rhapsody for that matter. Roma may resonate as might Black Panther, given its cultural significance. But movies like Annihilation or Into the Spider-Verse or even Hereditary will most likely be the highlights of 2018.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think judging Best Picture nominees based on cultural significance or even cult-status is the right way to judge films that are nominated or win. They're not picking the best movies in 2018 as judged by people in 2038, they're picking the best movies as judged by people in 2018. A big reason why they increased the Best Picture nominees to more than 5 was to include more genre picks other than just dramas and to have more variety. Your top two movies weren't nominated for best picture. My top film was. Another film in my top five won best picture. 3 of the film in my top 5 weren't nominated for anything. My top film of 2017 wasn't nominated for anything, and my top film for 2016 won best picture. It's just how it goes. I love the Oscars, but I don't see the point in complaining when my top films weren't nominated for anything. They're still my top films. I've got no issue with straight dramas being nominated. I love straight dramas. I love genre pics too. Most of my top 10 this year were genre pics (Hereditary, MI: Fallout, Upgrade, Infinity War).

I definitely don't care if Oscar nominees are forgotten or cult classics or considered seminal films in 20 years. I'm sure no one will remember A Ghost Story or Her in 20 years, but they're still my top 2 films of this decade so far.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's hard to say what films will be remembered 30 years from now. One thing I can say for sure is that the sheer volume at which films are being released will most certainly guarantee that a lot of great films are completely forgotten about by many people.

That's especially true when you take into consideration that many of the films that are resonating with mainstream audiences aren't exactly the kinds of films many of us like and hold in high esteem.

One of the things I'm doing now because I own so many movies, is that I'm looking for those smaller films released decades ago that might have been good when they came out in theaters, but have since been buried by time. It's amazing how many films there are out there like that. Many of them are ones that made it into our 90s tournament.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Apollo 11 - Documentary:
    Viewed on a true IMAX screen ($20, but worth it).

Using 65 MM film that has sat stored and unused for almost 50 years, the filmmakers present the events leading up to, and then the trip to the moon and back by Apollo 11 astronauts. Like a fly on the wall, we watch as events unfold. Using only minimal narration by Walter Cronkite, and simple graphics to explain certain orbital maneuvers, the film speaks for itself. Filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio, the images are stunning. Liftoff of the 300+ foot tall, 6.5 million pound Saturn 5 is breathtaking.
    I was proud to see what we Americans could do when we put our minds to it.

The audience I was with applauded at the end.

6/6 beers on the RFSRS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all. Not as good as Die Hard, but infinitely better than Under Siege. Can't wait to go to London for the sequel. 8/10 on my action meter.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Apollo 11 - Documentary:
    Viewed on a true IMAX screen ($20, but worth it).

Using 65 MM film that has sat stored and unused for almost 50 years, the filmmakers present the events leading up to, and then the trip to the moon and back by Apollo 11 astronauts. Like a fly on the wall, we watch as events unfold. Using only minimal narration by Walter Cronkite, and simple graphics to explain certain orbital maneuvers, the film speaks for itself. Filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio, the images are stunning. Liftoff of the 300+ foot tall, 6.5 million pound Saturn 5 is breathtaking.
    I was proud to see what we Americans could do when we put our minds to it.

The audience I was with applauded at the end.

6/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I heard this was a perfect companion piece to First Man.

I also heard that the restoration is amazing. Very similar to They Shall Not Grow Old. I'm hoping this one opens near me in true IMAX.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It wasn't really a restoration. They located unused well stored 65MM film that NASA had planned to use, but never did. BTAIM, see it in a true IMAX theater and be blown away.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all.
    I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need mindless fun in movies.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Olympus Has Fallen - I was in the mood for some killing and maiming, and this one had it all.
    The first one was indeed fun as a Die Hard-light action film. The second one in London is a complete mess.

Traveler Sharo is a jewel in the rough Sharo is a jewel in the rough Sharo is a jewel in the rough

I just saw Ralph Breaks The Internet and- I mean, it's cute! Not as good as the first one, but like, a solid 8. I miss Owl City's music and the models got really heckin' cartoony. Better than most sequels and I'm not gonna complain about an objectively sweet kid movie with an aimed-at-kids moral and a not-subtle nod towards the feelings of parents who are starting to face the notion of an empty nest.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sharo View Post
    I just saw Ralph Breaks The Internet and- I mean, it's cute! Not as good as the first one, but like, a solid 8. I miss Owl City's music and the models got really heckin' cartoony. Better than most sequels and I'm not gonna complain about an objectively sweet kid movie with an aimed-at-kids moral and a not-subtle nod towards the feelings of parents who are starting to face the notion of an empty nest.
    Worth it just for the epic Princesses scene.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly what I meant.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The first one was indeed fun as a Die Hard-light action film. The second one in London is a complete mess.
    That is so disappointing to hear.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking about mindless fun............................

HUNTER/KILLER

I'll likely be ripped to shreds for this review & rating, but I love Submarine films. Having said that, this film is no "Red October" by any means. The plot premise is rather ludicrous as I'll explain shortly. Don't worry though this is one of those films you just can't spoil cause you pretty much know what's going to happen all the way through. Nevertheless, it was fun, had some tense moments and I found it enjoyable mindless movie madness. So, there's a coup going on in the Russian government. The Russian president has been kidnapped by his own Secretary of Defense (SOD). It takes a bit for us to figure out what is happening in Russia, but eventually Gerard Butler (who's pretty good in this for a change) and the Captain from "Black Sails" are sent to rescue the Russian President from where he is being held, which is the Russian version of, Pearl Harbor. The Russian SOD has set events in motion designed to make it appear that the USA is the aggressor. One result is a Russian Sub being sabotaged. Butler as the captain of our sub manages to rescue the Russian Captain of the sabotaged sub and take him on board, while a Seal team led by Captain Black Sails is dispatched to free the Russian President and exfil to Butler's Sub. I can't tell you how many times I said to myself "you gotta be fucking kidding me", but throwing logic to the wind I went along for the ride and as I said enjoyed myself. It's crazy, it's ludicrous but it's fun and as I said I love a submarine movie. lol So, my suggestion is watch it. Especially if you've nothing better to do and want to kill 2 hours and eat some popcorn. lol

3 out 6 beers on the RFSRS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharo View Post
    Worth it just for the epic Princesses scene.
    If they aren't working on a Princess only film, then they're doing it wrong. I've been saying for years they should give them their own movie and turn them into kickass heroes.

That is so disappointing to hear.
    That's just me. You might be just in the right mood for it

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We’ll seen Miss Marvel and it was very good. Def up there for me. It was not my fav MCU but it’s up there on the list. A lot of fun and will be going to see it again! 8/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler: Captain Marvel is a man. That is Ms Marvel
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Captain Marvel tonight. I liked it, but did not love it. Pretty average overall. I loved the opening credits and the two end credit sequences. I hated the first 15 minutes. I hated the Star Wars ripoff canyon fighter sequence. I longed for more agent Coulson. At times the banter between a Fury and Captain Marvel was funny. I’d rank it near the bottom for Marvel movies, near the first Thor movie for me. 7/10. I guess that makes me a misogynist. The me-too movement/backlash will prevent a lot of honest discussion about the film’s true merits.

I know the comparisons are not fair, but I loved Wonder Woman so much, and this just can’t compete.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw Captain Marvel tonight. I liked it, but did not love it. Pretty average overall. I loved the opening credits and the two end credit sequences. I hated the first 15 minutes. I hated the Star Wars ripoff canyon fighter sequence. I longed for more agent Coulson. At times the banter between a Fury and Captain Marvel was funny. I’d rank it near the bottom for Marvel movies, near the first Thor movie for me. 7/10. I guess that makes me a misogynist. The me-too movement/backlash will prevent a lot of honest discussion about the film’s true merits.

I know the comparisons are not fair, but I loved Wonder Woman so much, and this just can’t compete.
    I have to ask... why compare to Wonder Women?

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Spoiler: Captain Marvel is a man. That is Ms Marvel
    No, this is Ms. Marvel:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm wondering if things would have been different if they decided to introduce Captain Marvel in another Marvel film. That seemed to be the template for most of the Marvel films, except Captain Marvel. I wonder if they included her in one of the films in a supporting role it they would have been better off.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it seems to be getting a shocking amount of fan backlash, which is surprising because fans of comic book movies are fairly easy to please.

I'm a little worried about Larson from what I've heard so far. I really loved her in Room and I think she's a great actress, but I heard people complaining that she was bland in this. That is a tad worrisome because I thought she was bland in Skull Island.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I have to ask... why compare to Wonder Women?

For me it was a pretty natural comparison, Wonder Woman being the only other female super hero to get her own vehicle to carry. I am hoping for better with Black Widow's solo film, if it comes to fruition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 441 FirstFirst ... 238 288 328 336 337 338 339 340 348 388 438 ... LastLast