• 2: Only so-so

0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

1 2.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #10: The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #10: The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, 2003

Please vote for The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

One great adventure, this was an exciting book to me, and also my favorite of the series but that is not why I give it a 5

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

: intrigued :

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Second least favorite of the series, right after Wizard & Glass. Callahan's story was awesome though, could've been its own novel. A three.

Country
    Country Flag

oh, this thread needs more Wolves lovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as I said many times before, it's bears' very favorite volume of the novel

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved it. This is easily in my top two for the series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    One great adventure, this was an exciting book to me, and also my favorite of the series but that is not why I give it a 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Loved it. This is easily in my top two for the series.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

5. It's tied for 2nd place favorite of the series. A very welcome change after WaG

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    A very welcome change after WaG
    Yeah but still too much lollygagging and jumping in hay.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    ok - but Andy the Messenger Robot, and Callahan, and the whole twins thing, and the whole wolves thing, and the grandfather's story, and what King is the real king of - a community that lives through crucial changes, the interaction between those people - and the battle, and Orizas, and the anatomy of betrayal, the spectacles, and the price of betrayal... for all that, a three? a three?!!! because of jumping in hay?!

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't mean to upset you, Jean ol' buddy, and I really liked some parts of this novel, but sitting around the Calla most of the book was what bored me and made me give it a three. Callahan was great, and had the story progressed more, it would've been a four.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Bears I love all of the above including the lollygagging and jumping in the hay but mostly I love that this is where Roland becomes a whole person to me, where he feels most real if you know what I mean.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Up near the top, but not at the top. Strong 4.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. 2nd favorite (after WaG) I think the casual pace of the novel is part of the enjoyment for me. This might be why I loved WaG so much.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

5555555555555!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best book in the series and one of SK's best ever. The whole "Magnificent 7", guns a blazing was just awesome
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A strong 4. Way too much set up and too little pay-off. It was a very good read, but not one of his best. A stand-alone story.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    5555555555555!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best book in the series and one of SK's best ever. The whole "Magnificent 7", guns a blazing was just awesome
    yes! yes!! bears think of it as "the seven samurai" part, but totally agree with the rest

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't mean to upset you, Jean ol' buddy, and I really liked some parts of this novel, but sitting around the Calla most of the book was what bored me and made me give it a three. Callahan was great, and had the story progressed more, it would've been a four.
    +1

sk

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ok - but Andy the Messenger Robot, and Callahan, and the whole twins thing, and the whole wolves thing, and the grandfather's story, and what King is the real king of - a community that lives through crucial changes, the interaction between those people - and the battle, and Orizas, and the anatomy of betrayal, the spectacles, and the price of betrayal... for all that, a three? a three?!!! because of jumping in hay?!
    This mini-rant made me laugh, for some reason. (Probably because I've just finished watching another Malcolm Tucker rant and now imagine it being read as loudly as possible by Peter Capaldi! ) But yes, for all those reasons Jean, an easy 5.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

5. Loved it.

Country
    Country Flag

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... Andy the Messenger Robot, and Callahan, and the whole twins thing, and the whole wolves thing, and the grandfather's story, and what King is the real king of - a community that lives through crucial changes, the interaction between those people - and the battle, and Orizas, and the anatomy of betrayal, the spectacles, and the price of betrayal...
    For all that, a 5.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote! The poll is closing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast