Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taschen's Stanley Kubrick's The Shining limited edition book

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Taschen's Stanley Kubrick's The Shining limited edition book

https://variety.com/shop/the-shining...ck-1235519401/
    “Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining” is a 2,000-page collection claiming to be an “unprecedented look at the 1980 cult classic.” With only 1,000 copies available, this collector’s item details the laborious re-writes from director Kubrick, a breakdown of the inner workings of blood elevator, first-hand accounts of the fire at Elstree Studios and hundreds of never-before-seen production photographs curated from the Kubrick archive.

The “definitive compendium” to Stanley Kubrick’s film was authored by J. W. Rinzler (the creator of The Overlook Hotel website), edited by Oscar-winning director Lee Unkrich (“Toy Story 3” and “Coco”) and designed by M/M (Paris) agency (known for their collaborations with Björk and Vogue Paris).

Inspired by the 2005 book, “The Stanley Kubrick Archives,” Rinzler and editor Lee Unkrich embarked on a journey to uncover even more details from this beloved work of cinema. “In 2010 I had an opportunity to visit the Stanley Kubrick archive, it was extremely exciting for me,” Unkrich explained in a Taschen interview. “I saw a lot of things I’d never seen before, I learned things that I didn’t know. It was during that visit to the archives that I first had the thought that maybe there should be a book about the making of ‘The Shining.'”

The project took 12 years, which Unkrich used to his advantage “I had the opportunity to track down every living person who worked on the film.” These conversations led to fascinating stories and loads of new images from private collections.

The work includes a forward penned by Steven Spielberg who provided the pull quote in Taschen’s press materials: “You must read this book. And then watch ‘The Shining’ again the second you put the book down. And I don’t care if you’ve seen it 50 times, you will never see it the same way again. It’s going to change everything.”
    https://www.taschen.com/en/limited-e...-s-the-shining
    In 1966 Stanley Kubrick told a friend that he wanted to make “the world’s scariest movie.” A decade later Stephen King’s The Shining landed on the director’s desk, and a visual masterpiece was born. This definitive compendium of the film that transformed the horror genre features hundreds of never-before-seen photographs, rare production ephemera from the Kubrick Archive, and extensive new interviews with the cast and crew.

Collector’s Edition of 1,000 numbered copies

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks fascinating. $1,500 is a tough nut to crack.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Definitely looks interesting; hopefully someone here picks it up.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I wonder if any super-collectors here will pull the trigger.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a super collector, but I am avoiding this.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a few Taschen books - Rise of David Bowie and PINXIT (Mark Ryden) and they are huge ass books; probably physically the largest books I own - just be prepared for needed a whole lot of space. And no - I am NOT going for this one
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one is marked as 2200 pages, 36.5 x 42.4 cm and a mere 20kg !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been waiting for this book for a whole year, following every tiny news that dropped. The price just killed it for me.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the...d-in-new-book/
    “I’m not gonna hurt you.” When the increasingly unhinged Jack Torrence says those words to his wife Wendy midway through The Shining, we don’t believe him. We might believe that Jack’s actor Jack Nicholson has no intention of hurting Wendy’s actor Shelley Duvall, but we’re not sure that the man behind the scenes has her best interests in mind. No, not author Stephen King, who published The Shining in 1977. Rather, the man directing: Stanley Kubrick.

Even before his death in 1999, Kubrick achieved mythological status, helming some of the most influential and popular movies of all time, including 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange. Part of that mythology drew from his public persona as a reserved intellectual, a cold and calculating technician who treated his actors as just another part of the set, there for him to move around.

According to the legend, that exacting style came to the fore while shooting the aforementioned scene from The Shining. Reports have indicated that Kubrick demanded 127 takes of Wendy backing up the staircase of the Overlook Hotel, waving a baseball bat at her menacing husband Jack. So accepted is the 127 takes story that it has been enshrined in The Guinness Book of World Records.

But one particular superfan seeks to re-write the book on The Shining. Literally. Lee Unkrich is best known for directing the Pixar movies Coco and Toy Story 3. But lately, he’s been dedicating his time to writing a massive behind the scenes study of Kubrick’s The Shining, and although legend says Kubrick broke a world record when shooting that scene, forcing the actors to repeat it 127 times, “Its completely not true,” Unkrich told IndieWire. “It was reported by a crew member who wasn’t even on the set when it was shot.” In fact, Unkrich argues that the shooting of the scene reveals a very different side to Kubrick.

“I think what happened is that some of the actors conflate rehearsals with takes because Kubrick would rehearse a lot,” Unkrich argued, framing the director as more of a collaborator than a taskmaster. “And it was really part of his writing process. He would continue to shape the dialogue through the rehearsing.”

Drawing from the movie’s shot logs as evidence, Unkrich contends that the most takes were devoted to “the big, long dolly shot that brought Jack and Wendy and the hotel manager into the Gold Ballroom at the beginning of the movie,” which required 66 takes. “Kubrick sometimes did a lot of takes, sure,” he admits. “But that wasn’t the norm.”

Unkrich even goes on to dispel claims that Kubrick abused Duvall while shooting The Shining, psychologically terrorizing her to create Wendy’s frazzled state. He went straight to the source and found that Duvall “has nothing but great things to say about Stanley. She loved him. She thinks he got a great performance out of her.” While he does point out that Duvall “didn’t always agree with his methods” and admits it was an extremely difficult part to play,” he says the abuse reports are “completely unfair.”

So in the end, maybe we should believe Jack when he tells Wendy that he isn’t going to hurt her. But is even a 1200 page book enough to change well-entrenched public opinion?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Unkrich even goes on to dispel claims that Kubrick abused Duvall while shooting The Shining, psychologically terrorizing her to create Wendy’s frazzled state. He went straight to the source and found that Duvall “has nothing but great things to say about Stanley. She loved him. She thinks he got a great performance out of her.” While he does point out that Duvall “didn’t always agree with his methods” and admits it was an extremely difficult part to play,” he says the abuse reports are “completely unfair.”
    Her hair was falling out from stress.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On the other hand, Unkrich says there were a few details for which he never got the “real” story. “The odd moment of the guy in the bear costume giving the guy a blowjob on the bed when Shelley’s running around? No answers on why he chose to put that in,” he reveals. Even Johnson says she doesn’t know where it came from: “It’s not in King. It was nothing that we ever discussed — it came out of Kubrick’s imagination, as far as I know.”
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/s...ch-1235556874/

It's... IN THE BOOK. It's a reference to Derwent having his lover Roger dress up in a dog costume. Imagine paying $1,500 for this level of research.

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    On the other hand, Unkrich says there were a few details for which he never got the “real” story. “The odd moment of the guy in the bear costume giving the guy a blowjob on the bed when Shelley’s running around? No answers on why he chose to put that in,” he reveals. Even Johnson says she doesn’t know where it came from: “It’s not in King. It was nothing that we ever discussed — it came out of Kubrick’s imagination, as far as I know.”
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/s...ch-1235556874/

It's... IN THE BOOK. It's a reference to Derwent having his lover Roger dress up in a dog costume. Imagine paying $1,500 for this level of research.

That's bizarre coming from Johnson since she co-wrote the script and claimed she got most of Wendy's dialogue from King.

"“The reason that [Wendy’s] not more developed in the script finally was because he didn’t get along with Shelley Duvall,” Johnson says. “They just clashed. And so he removed a lot of her scenes. The dialogue that I wrote for Wendy was pretty much [taken from] Stephen King, in which she talks like a normal person and has interesting perceptions and so on. And the reason that she comes off as just so kind of hysterical is to do with Kubrick and Duvall.” "

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe she just forgot. I looked up another interview and she says she's not a big fan of King or the original book (shocking) so it wouldn't surprise me if she never read it again.

It is genuinely hilarious to read interpretations of the "bear" from people who haven't read the book though. Like this person is going on about the significance of "bears" in the film and how it relates to Danny being abused by his dad.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/what-do...n-the-shining/

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees...

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why is it assumed that it is a guy in the bear suit?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Maybe she just forgot. I looked up another interview and she says she's not a big fan of King or the original book (shocking) so it wouldn't surprise me if she never read it again.

It is genuinely hilarious to read interpretations of the "bear" from people who haven't read the book though. Like this person is going on about the significance of "bears" in the film and how it relates to Danny being abused by his dad.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/what-do...n-the-shining/

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees...
    That's a major theory that I won't get into here but other people have made convincing arguments about it. Since Kubrick did throw out a lot of King's writing, it is pretty much his film and speculation about the film can be separated from the novel for interpretation imho.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Why is it assumed that it is a guy in the bear suit?
    He was played by a male actor, Eddie O’Dea.

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This is what I'd call a "howler."
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread