Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Plant

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Plant

Something that I have been considering for a while now is creating my own Hardback copy of The Plant. (ie having a printed copy of the downloadable files professionally bound).

There is no way I'm ever going to own on an original, so this seems to be the only way to have it in my collection as a 'real' book.

I recall seeing a reference to someone else doing this - does anyone have any info or examples of this being done? Are there any copyright issues?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Are there any copyright issues?
    I don't think so as long as you are doing it for your own personal use/enjoyment and do not plan on selling.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

So a bit of searching turned up it was Sir_Boome that had a copy bound, but I cant find any pictures. Terry can you provide any info?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not cheap....when done right.
    both book and tray case are bound in imported kid-skin leather, sewn in silk book mark, custom hand-made endpapers , printed on quality rag paper, raise ribbed spine, japanese clothe for the traycase ends.
    I custom designed the label and plastic case art insert for the CD that contains the original .pdf . (I utilized the front piece of pdf cover artwork and then added in a background similar to the "bloodied" endpapers.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

a note on the design...
    since King gave the original Plant copies as Christmas gifts/"cards" - I tried to continue the Christmas theme with my custom copy - predominately using green and red.
    that works well when designing the endpapers as foliage of a plant covered in blood.

the inside papers of the traycase were to represent a negative image of the endpapers for the actual book.

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Been awhile since I have seen pictures of that book....so beautiful! How much did it cost to put together, roughly?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW That is awesome!!

My plans are a little less ambitious I feel. I'd like to have it leather bound, but will probably opt for a Slipcase rather than a traycase. With regard to the actual content, did you use the pdf as is or did you modify it in any way (different fonts, layout,etc)? I note that the actual printed version handed out by SK used very specific fonts:

Also I'd like the cover to reflect the original, i.e. (any one have a detailed image of that logo?)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think needfulthings also has a custom bound copy of this as well. I can't 100% remember though. BTW that is an amazing looking book, Mr. Commando.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by at_one View Post
    Been awhile since I have seen pictures of that book....so beautiful! How much did it cost to put together, roughly?
    I forget the exact total (I have it somewhere) but in the 600.00 range it seems... but I might be off on that. If I find the reciepts, I'll update this with the amount.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW... I kept the font as it was released.... that is how it was published, so I didn't vary from it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Bad Penny - can you contribute here? I know you have a bound copy as well, albeit slightly less ambitious than Sir_Broome's.... I'm looking for options on this one.

also does anyone have an actual original? I'd like a hi-res scan of the logo on the front:

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I printed a cheap version via lulu.com
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    How did that look? what control do you have over cover, typeface, etc?
    was it hardcover or soft?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all... my name is Kris as you know and I run a Minuteman Press printing company in Halifax, Canada. I do this sort of work. My wife owns the company with her father. I have done this kind of thing before and copyright is a issue but if it is for your own personnel use and not being sold... your ok. For $200 (this is the min charge to perfect bind the books only) I can do 50 copies... plus the cost of printing the book. I could do this and we could have The Collector make a tray case or slip case as well. I would do this at my cost and I would put the text on white woven linen paper (looks very rich) and I could bind the covers in whatever... depends on how fancy you want to get with it and what people want to spend. We would want 50 books made as well hence bringing the cost per book down. Then it would be shipping.... just a thought and feel free to ask away any questions guys..
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Kris - appreciate the offer.
    I'm currently investigating local Book Binding companies to get approx costs. I think doing a bulk buy like this would be interesting, but even with that discount, shipping costs would probably price it above anything I could do here. Be very interested in a slipcase from the Collector though...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Note...printing multiple copies probably would get you in trouble... when the book was released via the web, if you bought one copy, you were allowed to print that copy - I paid for three copies for each of the 6 chapters installments - so I could print three copies.
    - I was actually paying for extra copies so that King would continue writing the story - since he had stated that if people paid for it, he would keep it going, if they didn't - he wouldn't finish it (which ended up being the case)... I was trying to make up for some those that didn't pay for it...I wanted it finished.

If you printed 50 copies to sale (even at cost), and paid for only one, that would (I'm assuming) be similar to photocopying a king book then offering them up for sale - which I'm thinking is definitely a copy-write infringement and you'd get a cease and desist order from someone in king's camp.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>>> lulu.com offer you different possibilies : hardcover, softcover. printed jacket, dustjacket.
    Then it uses the file you give it. I personally used a PDF version of the book so nothing came as a surprise. Except maybe the fact that my cover wasnt of very high quality, but... for something like 15€ it's perfectly readable which is what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Hi all... my name is Kris as you know and I run a Minuteman Press printing company in Halifax, Canada. I do this sort of work. My wife owns the company with her father. I have done this kind of thing before and copyright is a issue but if it is for your own personnel use and not being sold... your ok. For $200 (this is the min charge to perfect bind the books only) I can do 50 copies... plus the cost of printing the book. I could do this and we could have The Collector make a tray case or slip case as well. I would do this at my cost and I would put the text on white woven linen paper (looks very rich) and I could bind the covers in whatever... depends on how fancy you want to get with it and what people want to spend. We would want 50 books made as well hence bringing the cost per book down. Then it would be shipping.... just a thought and feel free to ask away any questions guys..
    >>> 50 copies means that you are going to offer some for sale = copyright infringement...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>>> lulu.com offer you different possibilies : hardcover, softcover. printed jacket, dustjacket.
    Then it uses the file you give it. I personally used a PDF version of the book so nothing came as a surprise. Except maybe the fact that my cover wasnt of very high quality, but... for something like 15€ it's perfectly readable which is what i was looking for

>>> 50 copies means that you are going to offer some for sale = copyright infringement...
    Even if you shared the actual proven dead cost?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I did one. I used the PDF versions and had it printed on fine linen, added some artwork and had it professional bound in green leather. I also included an introduction.
    Mine was no where near as elaborate as Sir Boommes but I also didnt spend anywhere near 600 either. Ill send you a PM with the details.

Something that I have been considering for a while now is creating my own Hardback copy of The Plant. (ie having a printed copy of the downloadable files professionally bound).

There is no way I'm ever going to own on an original, so this seems to be the only way to have it in my collection as a 'real' book.

I recall seeing a reference to someone else doing this - does anyone have any info or examples of this being done? Are there any copyright issues?
    reality continues to ruin my life

Country
    Country Flag

Even if you shared the actual proven dead cost?

From my point of view, yes. Because you basically create some kind of new edition, even if unauthorized...
    Would be interested in other people's opinion

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Personal use is acceptable; however, even one copy made for sale (or even give away--profit or lack thereof is not a consideration in copyright violations) could be considered copyright infringement. If you paid for a download then you can sell that download to someone else, provided you remove all copies from your systems and backups. However, by selling a different version (even if you bought the electronic version, printed it, and deleted the electronic version), you are likely violating the terms of the agreement. Print rights are handled separately from electronic rights and your homemade version would be considered unauthorized. A pirate edition, in other words.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Personal use is acceptable; however, even one copy made for sale (or even give away--profit or lack thereof is not a consideration in copyright violations) could be considered copyright infringement. If you paid for a download then you can sell that download to someone else, provided you remove all copies from your systems and backups. However, by selling a different version (even if you bought the electronic version, printed it, and deleted the electronic version), you are likely violating the terms of the agreement. Print rights are handled separately from electronic rights and your homemade version would be considered unauthorized. A pirate edition, in other words.
    and... if I paid for three and only downloaded one of those?

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bad Penny - can you contribute here? I know you have a bound copy as well, albeit slightly less ambitious than Sir_Broome's.... I'm looking for options on this one.

also does anyone have an actual original? I'd like a hi-res scan of the logo on the front:

I do have a bound copy, true, however; this was gifted to me by a fellow forum member with the general unspoken understanding that I keep the origins, et al, confidential (and, yes, it's certainly significantly less ambitious then Sir Boome's - which, by the by, is a freaking awesome production).

Having said that, the copy I have is treasured, as I would not likely have the opportunity to own an original version.

Perhaps the forum member that gifted my copy could provide further details of how the publication I have was put together (materials, process, etc) should they wish to not hide their light under a bushel (for a change)?
    We all float down here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast