Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 2807

Thread: The Wind Through the Keyhole-Collecting Discussion

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aww. I'm sad to hear this.

Along the Path of the Beam tomi_cc16 has a spectacular aura about tomi_cc16 has a spectacular aura about tomi_cc16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Whoa! What's the story here??? If Karen quit, that's one thing, but the email sounds pretty harsh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to issue #87 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

16 October 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of 15 October, 2012, Karen J. French is no longer employed
    by Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. She in no way speaks for or
    represents the company.

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
    Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

Big Big Shock !!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

this is very odd and quite a shock - just saw the mail blast so logged on here as I know Karen posts regularly and i;d had quite alot of contact with her over the years at DMG - Anyone know what the story is?

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the story in contained in the context (subtext?) of the two emails.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    I think the story in contained in the context (subtext?) of the two emails.

Things Happen. Karen has always been helpful to me! Good Luck Karen.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    Reading the two emails together, it does seem rather damning.
    I am sure that if Karen has left DMG she did nothing untoward. She may be a Red Sux fan, but otherwise she is a good person and would never delve into anything remotely seedy. Nothing but the best of luck to you, Karen!!!
    I could back that statement if she had zero history of "seedy" activity... but to me, selling off a TWTTK S/L for vacation $$$ when it should have gone to a customer is "seedy".
    Being an employee of Grant--when tales were told about the legendary LSOE remarques--and then seemingly being the only one that actually ends up with any of those remarqued books... is also "seedy".

It will be interesting to learn about this new thing, too.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Just as we shouldn't be too eager to cast aspersions on anyone, we shouldn't be too eager to say we're sure she did nothing untoward - we simply don't know for sure. We know for sure that the TWTTK that she sold should have gone to a customer?

And yeah, I always found it highly suspicious about those remarqued LOSE...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I bitched about (and will continue to do so) about the LSOE remarque deal. BTAIM, unless someone here has a specific complaint, I am not sure the TWTTK thread is the best way to discuss these matters.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I bitched about (and will continue to do so) about the LSOE remarque deal. BTAIM, unless someone here has a specific complaint, I am not sure the TWTTK thread is the best way to discuss these matters.
    lol, very true. It's just the only thread in which I saw discussion regarding the newsletter announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Just as we shouldn't be too eager to cast aspersions on anyone, we shouldn't be too eager to say we're sure she did nothing untoward - we simply don't know for sure. We know for sure that the TWTTK that she sold should have gone to a customer?

Well, it's Grant's own policy that any unclaimed copies by < 800 customers would go into the pool for the lottery. She straight up sold a numbered copy on eBay to pay for a vacation. So that's one less copy that was available for the lottery...
    I suppose some could say that they can do whatever they want? But to me it's simply unethical and definitely shady.
    The publishers of King's books should have an obligation to the customers, imo. Taking advantage of the current market and making one less customer get a book is not cool at all.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post

Well, it's Grant's own policy that any unclaimed copies by < 800 customers would go into the pool for the lottery. She straight up sold a numbered copy on eBay to pay for a vacation. So that's one less copy that was available for the lottery...
    I suppose some could say that they can do whatever they want? But to me it's simply unethical and definitely shady.
    The publishers of King's books should have an obligation to the customers, imo. Taking advantage of the current market and making one less customer get a book is not cool at all.
    The copy sold on eBay... was it a numbered copy or a PC?
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post

The copy sold on eBay... was it a numbered copy or a PC?
    It was numbered--716. Post #3395 of this thread is her original posting. Later on she posts the link: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...924#post708924

Here's a link to the auction she herself posted: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...item2a1f63ba48

Remember when she went on vacation before the lottery? Yeah, that's the vacation.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is exactly on topic but I used to buy books from Karen's predecessor KelLee. I was buying a PC copy of some King book from her and she told me that the book was given to her by Robert as an employee bonus. In lieu of money (bonus, raises, etc.) she was given books by her employer to do with as she pleased. I think this is common practice at small presses. I seem to remember a CD employee telling me something similar at one time. I feel pretty sure that any book Karen offered for sale was one of her personal copies received as employee compensation. I don't know this for certain but it sounds right to me knowing Karen as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly on topic but I used to buy books from Karen's predecessor KelLee. I was buying a PC copy of some King book from her and she told me that the book was given to her by Robert as an employee bonus. In lieu of money (bonus, raises, etc.) she was given books by her employer to do with as she pleased. I think this is common practice at small presses. I seem to remember a CD employee telling me something similar at one time. I feel pretty sure that any book Karen offered for sale was one of her personal copies received as employee compensation.
    Right, that seems to be what has happened. But is it ethical for Grant to bypass the agreed to means of distribution? I don't think Grant employees should get special treatment. And management--in my opinion--should follow their own policy of getting copies to people that have rights to purchase those books.

And a PC copy would be different as they could be distributed after all customers get their copy and the PC copies weren't needed to replace damaged numbered copies etc.
    TWTTK in question is a numbered copy that was posted to ebay before the lottery even took place.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm gonna back out of this discussion. In all my dealings with Karen (and I have had many) I have found her to be a good person and not one to engage in "seedy" things. So until proven absolutely otherwise, I stand firmly in her corner. But, that's just me and what do I know, right?

Best of Luck to you, Karen!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I was not pleased to see a S/L TWTTKH sold by an employee simply because I wanted it. However there are many jobs where employees get perks or freebies. Go work for Grant if you want an inside track on limited books they publish. In the absence of any other info it is bad form to claim unethical behavior without the details.

Best of luck Karen and thanks for the help on past orders!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I will miss the Minions.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Part of me wonders what this is about, and another part of me thinks he knows exactly what this is about.
    Funny, that was my initial reaction as well. Obviously not going to say anything here though, as speculation isn't fact.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

In anything dealing with Karen, she has always been a great person to deal with. Good luck Karen!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    In anything dealing with Karen, she has always been a great person to deal with. Good luck Karen!
    Absolutely!!1 She probably left in order to devote her full time to "Gronk" watching!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

oooo, Gronk is in London this week....and still LOOKING GOOD!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of the guys at Grant died a couple or few years ago and ever since Grant has been going down hill. I can't remember his name maybe someone can help me out on that. Like I said ever since then Grant Pub. has not been the same.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you are referring to Donald Grant.

I've been dealing with them for ten years...and it has always been Robert....fist with Kate and KelLee, and then Michaela, and then Karen.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for bumping this up but I've read in the past that the Grant release was controversial here for quality reasons. I was thinking of maybe purchasing the AE sometime in the future depending if it's still in stock then but how is it put together? Like was the glue weak or something?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 LastLast