4 16.00%
  • The Host

6 24.00%
  • Ocean's Eleven

19 76.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 25 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 25 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
    Directed by Clint Eastwood

Watch Trailer

Zodiac (2007)
    Directed by David Fincher

Watch Trailer

Legally Blonde (2001)
    Directed by Robert Luketic

Watch Trailer

2012 (2009)
    Directed by Roland Emmerich

Watch Trailer

Spirited Away (2001)
    Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Watch Trailer

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
    Directed by Ron Howard

Watch Trailer

The Host (2006)
    Directed by Bong Joon-ho

Watch Trailer

Ocean's Eleven (2001)
    Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spirited Away should be at 100%, this is wrong...

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw Spirited Away at the theater and thought it was pretty good. No great shakes (couldn't see what all the hype was in the review I read that prompted me to see it). But it was enjoyable enough.

HOWEVER. I watched Spirited Away again on a rental, this time using the Japanese subs, and it totally blew me away! I couldn't believe it was the same film I had "meh'd" over previously. There was just so much more depth the second time around. I credit most of that to watching it in the Japanese dialogue**, although I admit some of it may just be the benefit of a second viewing. In any event, it has become one of my all-time favorite movies. Sometimes, I'll just put the DVD on to replay the closing credits, because the song is just stunningly beautiful. Brings tears.

**I'm not sure why that would be the case, though. It's hardly a case of "subtitles are better than dubbing" for an animated film. ALL animated films are dubbed!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't imagine that simply watching it subbed would make all that difference lol. It came out in 2001, you were a different person almost 20 years ago. It probably meant something different to you now.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well...I watched the DVD version right when it came out, so that would have been only a year or so time differential from my theatrical viewing. Whatever the reason (whether it makes sense or not), I'll just accept that something changed in my appreciation of the film.

Interestingly enough, I tried the same approach with Princess Mononoke. Saw it at the theater and didn't like it. Watched the subtitled DVD, hoping for a Spirited Away type experience...and still didn't like it. I'm really not a fan of Japanese anime at all. Spirited Away is definitely the strange exception. Most other anime (even Miyazaki) does nothing for me.

Country
    Country Flag

Spirited Away is indeed magical. It's not just one of the best animated films ever made, it's simply one of the best films ever made period.

Country
    Country Flag

Also, Legally Blonde should really have more votes. Such an underrated comedy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Look at Zodiac go! Fuck yeah!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Spirited Away should be at 100%, this is wrong...
    Just voted and I was going to comment the same thing. How does it only have 8 votes...
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Here we may have two and a half Asian movies moving on, while most seem to have been falling off one after another.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Can you add a vote for Legally Blonde for me please? Don't know why I didn't vote for it in the first place.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Can you add a vote for Legally Blonde for me please? Don't know why I didn't vote for it in the first place.
    Just did.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

What do you all have against Christmas movies? The Grinch and The Santa Clause 3 are both in last in their groupings.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Never saw any of the Santa Claus movies and The Grinch is one weird ass movie. But it doesn't freak me out as much as the Cat in the Hat (the stuff of nightmares). I've never seen Elf either nor Bad Santa. I guess I am just not a big Christmas movie person. I love Christmas horror movies though.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I personally hated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I know a lot of people love it, but I'll stick with the cartoon. Now that's one that I'll watch every year

Tommy can you please send me your must watch Christmas horror list please

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I personally hated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I know a lot of people love it, but I'll stick with the cartoon. Now that's one that I'll watch every year

Can do! Give me about a day or so......

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Can do! Give me about a day or so......
    Thanks! And no rush, Christmas is still a few months away

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    What do you all have against Christmas movies? The Grinch and The Santa Clause 3 are both in last in their groupings.
    I love Christmas movies. Just not those Christmas movies. Santa Clause 3 is pretty bad I thought.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I love Christmas movies. Just not those Christmas movies. Santa Clause 3 is pretty bad I thought.
    Personally I think as a whole the 2000's were lacking on the Christmas movie front. There's maybe 1 or 2 from the 2000's I liked, but just looking through a list I see at least 6 from the 90's.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Ocean's Eleven (76.00%)
    2. Zodiac (68.00%)
    3. Letters from Iwo Jima (36.00%)
    4. Spirited Away (36.00%)
    5. Legally Blonde (28.00%)
    6. The Host (24.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. 2012 (20.00%)
    2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (16.00%)

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well 2012 was one I was going to try to watch, but now that it is eliminated, will deprioritize it.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

+ Reply to Thread