Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: which star trek was the best?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • the original

34 34.34%
  • next generation

47 47.47%
  • DS9

11 11.11%
  • voyager

6 6.06%
  • enterprise

1 1.01%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Default To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

which star trek was the best?

deep space 9 was my favourite. i'll go into why more later, but a lot of it had to do with the number of recurring jeffrey combs roles. he's one of my biggest geek crushes, mainly due to his work in the trekverse.

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

Default ahhh

The Next Generation actually had episodes that I still think about, a feat that none of the other Series achieved.

I did like Odo.....oatmeal man!
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voyager.

because of the quality acting
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

The acting sure....

But my vote, the orginal show, sure wasn't for acting either.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I did next generation. I love the Borg story lines
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

next generation and "classic trek" are the only two i watched. i liked next gen better, not for the least of reasons being the quality of the acting.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TNG, the quality of actng, FX, and stories were all superior to Star Trek. I have been a trekkie most of my life though, and for it's time, the original series was far and away better then anything on TV. I enjoyed watching TNG mature as well. I loved DS9 too!!!! Interesting tid bit, the woman who plays Dax also plays Reggie on Becker.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Next Generation. Definitely. I can't watch Shatner. At all.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

TNG fo' sho.' Picard kicks major ass.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I picked TNG, much for the same reasons as others have cited. Given it's longer run the writers (and actors) were able to explore the characters more than on TOS.

TOS is still classic and they had some awesome stories City on the Edge of Forever, Mirror-Mirror (the followup on DS9 was freakin AWESOME ), and many others. I still feel TNG was better in the long run though. Having said that I feel like the first couple of seasons of TNG were inferior to TOS (and were actually quite bad in my opinion ), but by season 3 the writers and actors were getting their act together (no pun intended).

Great topic sarajean

corey, i was actually thinking of you when i thought of it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen a Star Trek show in my life.

we're totally breaking up.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The original cast was fantastic as themselves in the Futurama episode they did, particularly Walter Koenig and George Takei. It's among my fav Futuramas and that is saying a LOT!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

we're totally breaking up.

You don't want us to live out a hypothetical part 2 to Sleeping With The Enemy now do you?

You don't want that. I don't want that. And Ringo here definitely don't want that.

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to vote TOS as the best. While TNG comes a fairly close second. Next Gen. had a longer run, but they also had a longer grind towards becoming a good show. The first few seasons were waaay to busy cramming social messages down our throats without the benefit of doing it in an entertaining way. But then they manages to combine a bit more action/adventure and a message undertone in some pretty good ways.

I liked TOS because they were more subversive in their social commentary (not to say that a few episodes didn't whack us over the head message wise). They did the first interracial kiss without it being a story stopper, plodding the plot down, etc. That and Kirk going against a big, green, rubber lizard rules over all.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."

Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by To The Dark Tower Came View Post
    That and Kirk going against a big, green, rubber lizard rules over all.
    That's THE special effect that I had in mind when I made my comment about the effects being better in TNG. I thought that lizard was possibly the worst effect EVER. That's actually one of my least favorite episodes of the original series, and quite possibly the hokiest of all Star trek episodes.

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    That's THE special effect that I had in mind when I made my comment about the effects being better in TNG. I thought that lizard was possibly the worst effect EVER. That's actually one of my least favorite episodes of the original series, and quite possibly the hokiest of all Star trek episodes.
    But you can't compare special effects when there's a span of 18 years between the two. Of course the lizard was bad, as were the sets, the fights, and William Shatner. But that's what made it great. It was a cheesy show that knew it was pretty much a cheesy show and went whole hog, unabashed at it. People flocked to it. TNG on the other hand was bad for it's first three season AND took itself so seriously it was laughable. It was pure Trek dedication that kept that show afloat until the other factors stepped up and made it great.

Country
    Country Flag

But you can't compare special effects when there's a span of 18 years between the two. Of course the lizard was bad, as were the sets, the fights, and William Shatner. TNG on the other hand was bad for it's first three season AND took itself so seriously it was laughable. It was pure Trek dedication that kept that show afloat until the other factors stepped up and made it great.
    Agreed, and I'll admit that I didn't even watch TNG until about the 3rd or 4th season, in large part due to the fact that I hate having someone else's social message crammed down my throat. It was only later that I watched the first few seasons, and I mostly enhoyed them because they put the later seasons into context for me, and it was interesting to watch the developement and maturing process of the show.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

TOS was original camp, that's for sure.

Country
    Country Flag

I've been to a lot of Trek conventions (shut up, my mom says I'm cool) and met or heard most of the TOS and TNG cast. One of the best stories is from Marina Sirtis who plays Deanna Troi talking about character development. There's an episode where Deanna gets space-pregnant and the crew is discussing her space-baby. Well, Worf votes for aborting the baby.

She goes on to talk about that in following episodes that she would frown at Worf in-character to the point where Michael Dorn came up to he after three or four tapings and said he'd noticed this happening. And she told him "Well my character hates your's now because you wanted to kill her baby!"

None of it ever made it to a single show, but talk about trying to make depth...lol.

Country
    Country Flag

I've been to a lot of Trek conventions (shut up, my mom says I'm cool) and met or heard most of the TOS and TNG cast. One of the best stories is from Marina Sirtis who plays Deanna Troi talking about character development. There's an episode where Deanna gets space-pregnant and the crew is discussing her space-baby. Well, Worf votes for aborting the baby.

She goes on to talk about that in following episodes that she would frown at Worf in-character to the point where Michael Dorn came up to he after three or four tapings and said he'd noticed this happening. And she told him "Well my character hates your's now because you wanted to kill her baby!"

None of it ever made it to a single show, but talk about trying to make depth...lol.
    HAHAHAAHAHAHA mmmmmmmmm, Deanna Troi TASTY!!!! and an empath to boot!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Oh you have to have seen her then. She's all chaste and proper on the show..when she appeared at the con, she was in a micro-mini dress, and what I think is the term "commando". When asked what she thought of nude pics of her appearing on the internet she said, "I am totally flattered and like that people want to see me naked..."

*ahem* then came the orgastic fanboy applause.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh you have to have seen her then. She's all chaste and proper on the show..when she appeared at the con, she was in a micro-mini dress, and what I think is the term "commando". When asked what she thought of nude pics of her appearing on the internet she said, "I am totally flattered and like that people want to see me naked..."

*ahem* then came the orgastic fanboy applause.
    LMAO, and she is totally HOTTTT

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Never saw those pics, someone needs to track them down and PM this poor old man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast