Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 631 of 713 FirstFirst ... 131 531 581 621 629 630 631 632 633 641 681 ... LastLast
Results 15,751 to 15,775 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Is it your first read of Eyes of the Dragon?!
    Yup! It never really made me jump to read it because of the big fantasy elements, but everyone seems to like it so I'm intrigued. Plus, TDT connections.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Eyes of the Dragon is a really good one. I've been meaning to do a re-read of it for some time now. I hope you like it.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favorites but in a different way than other SK works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Is it your first read of Eyes of the Dragon?!
    Yup! It never really made me jump to read it because of the big fantasy elements, but everyone seems to like it so I'm intrigued. Plus, TDT connections.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I finished The Second World War, Volume III: The Grand Alliance by Winston Churchill last week.

Some good quotes:

“...so far as strategy, policy, foresight, competence are arbiters Stalin and his commissars showed themselves at this moment the most completely outwitted bunglers of the Second World War.”

"...you should obtain accurate information, because no judgment can be formed without it."

“...in Belgrade the conspirators decided to act. The signal was given to seize key points in Belgrade, and the royal residence, together with the person of the young King, Peter II, by dawn on March 27...There was no bloodshed. Certain senior officers were placed under arrest…The streets of Belgrade were soon thronged with Serbs, chanting, ‘Rather war than the pact; rather death than slavery.’ There was dancing in the squares; English and French flags appeared everywhere; the Serb national anthem was sung with wild defiance by valiant, helpless multitudes…The German Minister was publicly insulted, and the crowd spat on his car. The military exploit has roused a surge of national vitality. A people paralysed in action, hitherto ill-governed and ill-led, long haunted by the sense of being ensnared, flung their reckless, heroic defiance at the tyrant and conqueror in the moment of his greatest power.”

"The German communique claimed the destruction of the Rolls-Royce works at Derby, which they never got near. Two hundred and thirty high-explosive bombs and a large number of incendiaries were however unloaded in the open country. The total casualties there were two chickens.”

“I presume you are only waiting for the tortoise to stick his head out far enough before chopping it off.”

“I was rather pleased with this when I wrote it, and I don’t mind the look of it now.”

"...Prince Paul’s attitude looks like that of an unfortunate man in a cage with a tiger, hoping not to provoke him while steadily dinner-time approaches.”
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I started The Second World War, Volume IV: The Hinge of Fate by Winston Churchill last week.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

200 pages in on Sleeping Beauties and LOVING it so far. Hope it keeps getting better. I also read Jurassic Park on the weekend... and it was good! I never did before and it was a fast, fun read
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Love Jurassic Park. I've been wanting to go back and re-read both that and Lost World.

Working my way through Pet Semetary. This was my first King book back when I was 13-14. Haven't read it, since so alot of it is hazy in my mind. But it's always held a special place in my heart. Really loving it. It's also much scarier than I remember.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Love Jurassic Park. I've been wanting to go back and re-read both that and Lost World.

Working my way through Pet Semetary. This was my first King book back when I was 13-14. Haven't read it, since so alot of it is hazy in my mind. But it's always held a special place in my heart. Really loving it. It's also much scarier than I remember.
    Hey is the Lost World part 2 in the books too?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yep, it's the sequel to Jurassic Park. So much better than the movie.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yep, it's the sequel to Jurassic Park. So much better than the movie.
    Oh I'm going to get it then! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I originally read Pet Sematary probably when I was a teenager (now 48 ); I have just about no recollection of my reaction at the time (this tells me it wasn't one of my favorites, but also that it wasn't that bad...it also tells me I am old).

I read it for only the second time a little over a year ago and liked it. Not one of my top King works, but it does what it does pretty well. It impressed me with the density of its negativity; there's not lots to be happy about in this one.

I am torn on whether I'm going to get CD's upcoming edition of PS. On one hand, it's not, for me, a classic (like The Stand; you can't call yourself a King fan and not have interest in the upcoming CD edition of this) or must-have (like Salem's Lot, a personal favorite of mine) - but on the other, it is pretty damn effective in its own way and avoids cliche (perhaps I can live without it...but this is a strong book). I expect that the artwork will make the decision for me: something really kickass and dark will lock me in; something pedestrian may push me out (odds of CD doing this: small). Have they announced - or have any of the clever ones here found out - who is illustrating that?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary was the first King book I read also (back in 7th grade). It's one of my favorites and I've been wanting to do a re-read for years but am worried about the possibility that I won't like it as much.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I originally read Pet Sematary probably when I was a teenager (now 48 ); I have just about no recollection of my reaction at the time (this tells me it wasn't one of my favorites, but also that it wasn't that bad...it also tells me I am old).

I read it for only the second time a little over a year ago and liked it. Not one of my top King works, but it does what it does pretty well. It impressed me with the density of its negativity; there's not lots to be happy about in this one.

I am torn on whether I'm going to get CD's upcoming edition of PS. On one hand, it's not, for me, a classic (like The Stand; you can't call yourself a King fan and not have interest in the upcoming CD edition of this) or must-have (like Salem's Lot, a personal favorite of mine) - but on the other, it is pretty damn effective in its own way and avoids cliche (perhaps I can live without it...but this is a strong book). I expect that the artwork will make the decision for me: something really kickass and dark will lock me in; something pedestrian may push me out (odds of CD doing this: small). Have they announced - or have any of the clever ones here found out - who is illustrating that?
    They just won't say a word on it. I have a feeling that maybe King will sign it to be honest... I don't know why I do... but I do.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

My list of unread King books is so small and I'm really debating finally giving Pet Sematary a go sometime soon. I've shied away from it because I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Pet Sematary was the first King book I read also (back in 7th grade). It's one of my favorites and I've been wanting to do a re-read for years but am worried about the possibility that I won't like it as much.
    I actually think I might be enjoying it more this time around. Granted though, I would have rated it in my top 5 before just because of my love for it turning me into a King fan.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived.
    Funny how that makes a difference; I read most of his "golden oldies" long before I had kids, then have recently re-read several as a father. It definitely is a different perspective.

I'd say if you survived Cujo and It, you'll survive Pet Sematary.

[Certainly there's lots of characters with terrible fates in SK's work, but I find that, with me, sometimes it's the small things that stick with me, like Chuckie Hamburger and Avery Hockstetter.]

...I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived.
    Funny how that makes a difference; I read most of his "golden oldies" long before I had kids, then have recently re-read several as a father. It definitely is a different perspective.

I'd say if you survived Cujo and It, you'll survive Pet Sematary.

[Certainly there's lots of characters with terrible fates in SK's work, but I find that, with me, sometimes it's the small things that stick with me, like Chuckie Hamburger and Avery Hockstetter.]
    The perspective is definitely different, as you said.

And Cujo was the first King book I ever read. I've wanted to reread it since I was only 12 at the time and can't remember anything about it, but I don't know if I could handle it at this point.

And what you said about certain characters' fates sticking with you more is very true. I read stuff at times now that really has the ability to make my stomach turn, whereas before, it wouldn't have made me bat an eyelash.

Did you read Full Dark, No Stars?
    Spoiler:
    If so, the story 1922 really really got to me because, as a mom, the whole thought of a mom being killed by her own son and husband really really bothered me in ways I didn't enjoy.

Also, in Mr. Mercedes,
    Spoiler:
    Brady Hartfield's relationship with his mother made me very very uncomfortable while reading.

Country
    Country Flag

My list of unread King books is so small and I'm really debating finally giving Pet Sematary a go sometime soon. I've shied away from it because I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived.
    Thought #1: You haven't read it yet?!

Thought #2: Oh yeah, it'll destroy you.

I actually think I might be enjoying it more this time around. Granted though, I would have rated it in my top 5 before just because of my love for it turning me into a King fan.
    That's good to hear. I'll have to keep it in mind for when I'm looking for a re-read.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John
    That's so very cool you remember that John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John
    That is cool, John! I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift. This was about time that Grunge music had hit the airwaves and I had it playing softly in the background while I read. So every time I hear a song from that time period, it takes me back to those long nights spent with Stu and the gang. And of course the Walking Dude.

The book is also stained from red beans and rice that leaked from the container onto it while in my lunch bag. It's one beat up, tired solider but I wouldn't part with it for the world. As it's value only lies within me.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And Cujo was the first King book I ever read. I've wanted to reread it since I was only 12 at the time...
    Cujo may have been my first too, or it may just have been the first one I actually owned myself (a friend gave it to me; I vividly recall being freaked out by the cover art), right around the same age, too (I was in junior high (aka middle school), that much I know).

Did you read Full Dark, No Stars?

...Also, in Mr. Mercedes...
    I'm probably the only one here that hasn't read either of these, but I look forward to reading both.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

John
    Good story, but imagine if you'd been reading The Night Flier instead...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift...The book is also stained from red beans and rice that leaked from the container onto it while in my lunch bag.
    I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one here with a 1000+ pg King book stained red from food (during my first re-read of It in the early 90s, I had the habit of eating lasagna during late-night reads, and since this occasionally included alcohol, it wasn't pretty).

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Good story, but imagine if you'd been reading The Night Flier instead...
    When I first read The Night Flier envisioned that same airport.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 631 of 713 FirstFirst ... 131 531 581 621 629 630 631 632 633 641 681 ... LastLast