Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performances

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    He stops being James Franco and starts being his character almost instantly which is something I look for in actors, and not easy to do playing someone as iconic as James Dean.
    No, it's definitely not easy. But coming from a huge James Dean fan, I think he pulls it off brilliantly. I was actually shocked at the time that he didn't win the Oscar for this performance. He really deserved it. But I think the academy has their favorites, and those are the ones that always seem to get the awards.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I suspect something similiar is going to happen to Ledger and his performance in The Dark Knight.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I didn't know that Franco did James Dean. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Heather.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone else think that Franco would have made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey McWhiner?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I didn't know that Franco did James Dean. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Heather.
    Excellent. If you're a fan of Dean, then I think you'll love it.

and Feev, I always wished Franco had more screentime in those films

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Wow. Had to dig deep to find this thread.

Just happened to catch Heart Like A Wheel on cable the day before yesterday. It's been years and years since I've seen it and honestly, Bonnie Bedelia's performance in this film is just outstanding.

The movie is kind of dated in it's style ( movie was released in 1983 ) , as compared with today's films, but Bedelia's performance is just outstanding and on the money.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Does anyone else think that Franco would have made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey McWhiner?
    Probably.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I am one of those type of people that if i see a comedian in a serious role, i want them to be serious. I really, really loved Robin Williams in "What Dreams May Come." It was so good of a performance that by the time the movie was over i was bawling.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    I am one of those type of people that if i see a comedian in a serious role, i want them to be serious. I really, really loved Robin Williams in "What Dreams May Come." It was so good of a performance that by the time the movie was over i was bawling.
    Have you seen Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ?

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Have you seen Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ?
    Two good examples ( though I'm not a big Carey fan ).

Re: Williams, I always think of Good Will Hunting, of course. He was awesome in that. And mega creepy in Insomnia.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i loved robin williams in what dreams may come - its a strange one, because when it starts all i could see wa robin william stand up comic, but he really drew me into his role.

I loved spotless mind, but i also thought Carrey was excellent in the Trueman show

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Re: Williams, I always think of Good Will Hunting, of course. He was awesome in that. And mega creepy in Insomnia.
    What about One Hour Photo?

And I agree about Jim Carrey. I'm not a fan of his at all, but he was excellent in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

My Mood
    Gay

OMG, yes. One Hour Photo!! He has definitely moved into an "I Can Sure Play Creepy" kind of place. His guest starring role on Law and Order:SVU was creepy as hell also ( and won him the Emmy for Best Guest Role )

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i loved robin williams in what dreams may come - its a strange one, because when it starts all i could see wa robin william stand up comic, but he really drew me into his role.
    I never post in this thread because I have no idea which performances are underappreciated; but I love Williams in Dead Poets Society

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

he's been my favorite actor for many a year.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Too bad he just makes garbage now.

I'm going to say a few, not sure if they have been said or not:

Adam Sandler as Barry Eagan:
    - Punch Drunk Love
    Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey
    - Magnolia
    Jeff Daniels as Lewis
    - The Lookout
    Nicolas Cage as Roy Waller
    - Matchstick Men
    Jason Lee as Brian
    - Vanilla Sky
    Ben Affleck as Jim Young
    - Boiler Room
    Ryan Gosling as Danny Balint
    - The Believer
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Adam Sandler as Barry Eagan:
    - Punch Drunk Love
    As much as I can't stand Adam Sandler, I have to admit that he was pretty good in that.

- Magnolia
    Definitely. One of the best, if not the best performance of that movie.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    - Magnolia
    Ben Affleck as Jim Young
    - Boiler Room
    Absolutely LOVE Cruise as Mackey. I think it's probably his best performance. When he's sitting there in the interview, and gives that great "..silently judging you line" ... just perfect.

I liked Affleck in Boiler Room, but he's basically just being Alec Baldwin in Glenn Gary.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe Turtlex...but it's still the best 5 minutes of his acting career. Though he appears to be amore than capable directer after seeing Gone Baby Gone. I wonder if his next movie will be decent.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Gay

I loved Gone Baby Gone and was impressed with his directing, very much so.

Actually, I would say that his performance in Hollywoodland was Affleck's best. And you know, I grew up just outside Boston, and both he and Damon really captured that perfect Guy-In-Boston thing for Good Will Hunting.

Hollywoodland always seems to be forgotten about. I think that's my favorite performance by him as well. And I know I've said it before, but I was extremely impressed with his directing and can't wait to see his new one

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stratton View Post
    Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space
    I think that Gary Cole pretty much owns any role he does. He's always believable no matter what character he's portraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy Summers View Post
    Jack Black and Colin Hanks in Orange County
    I love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    ewan mcgregor and ryan gosling in "stay"....great performances i thought
    Ewan McGregor is probably my favorite actor. I have never seen him in a movie that I didn't absolutely love his part in. I especially loved A Life Less Ordinary, a movie that never seems to be remembered.
    Hell, McGregor was the only thing in the Star Wars prequels that was solid, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jane Hudson View Post
    I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.

I really need to see this one. Sad thing is, I don't think I had a good or bad opinion of Franco until I saw Pineapple Express. His acting in that was one of the best I had seen in years. I didn't feel like I was watching a character on a screen, but a real person.

And the reason I actually came in here to post: I saw the movie Brothers a while back and while I thought it was a pretty good movie, I was unexpectedly blown away by Tobey Maguire in it. I don't know if it was a mixture of the subject matter and his performance, or what. But it made me respect him as an actor.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty appropiate for the time of year, but My man Tim Curry as "Dr, Franknfurter" in the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. I'm as straight as an arrow, but I still remember the first time he entered that elevator and the subsequent performance (I'm a 100+ old stoner/viewer from times sq.)!!!

He ate that role with a spoon!!! LOL

"I've been making a man, with blonde hair and a tan, and he's good for relieveing my.....tensions"!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-nan-doh View Post
    I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.
    I really need to see this one. Sad thing is, I don't think I had a good or bad opinion of Franco until I saw Pineapple Express. His acting in that was one of the best I had seen in years. I didn't feel like I was watching a character on a screen, but a real person.
    You have to watch it when you get a chance. It's such a good film. I don't know if you've ever seen any of James Dean's films, but if not then I'd recommend at least watching one beforehand to really appreciate the job that Franco did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-nan-doh View Post
    And the reason I actually came in here to post: I saw the movie Brothers a while back and while I thought it was a pretty good movie, I was unexpectedly blown away by Tobey Maguire in it. I don't know if it was a mixture of the subject matter and his performance, or what. But it made me respect him as an actor.
    I loved Brothers I thought Tobey did a good job, but it was Jake that I loved in this one. Honestly I was never really a fan of his until this movie.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I loved Brothers I thought Tobey did a good job, but it was Jake that I loved in this one. Honestly I was never really a fan of his until this movie.
    I guess Tobey Maguire impressed me because I wasn't even expecting it.
    It was a good movie. So good and believable that I will never watch it again. It's too real.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast