Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 254 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 226 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    The first one is a hump to get over but it could still make back the studio's money if they're smart. I don't think it would be that difficult to make the story less dry while still being true to the original story.
    I think one of the biggest problems would be making Roland likable. His actions across the first book don't exactly endear him to the readers. Even with using the material from the other books I think they will still have the same trouble. That could be one reason they are introducing Jake so early in the story.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The first one is a hump to get over...
    That's not good enough for the general audience and thus, not good enough to the studio.

You don't want a "false start" to begin your franchise. The first film must be accessible and appealing to as many people as possible. The series potential success is on thin ice as it is, can't afford to lose the fanbase halfway through the first movie.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

You mean at the point where he knows there's a trap but does sweet-F-all about it and extends his stay basically to get some? Then proceeds to murder the entire town -- women and children included -- when that could've been avoided? Yeah, that might be a tough sell, ha.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I think one of the biggest problems would be making Roland likable. His actions across the first book don't exactly endear him to the readers. Even with using the material from the other books I think they will still have the same trouble. That could be one reason they are introducing Jake so early in the story.
    Roland is likable, if you happen to be a sociopath.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The first one is a hump to get over...
    That's not good enough for the general audience and thus, not good enough to the studio.

You don't want a "false start" to begin your franchise. The first film must be accessible and appealing to as many people as possible. The series potential success is on thin ice as it is, can't afford to lose the fanbase halfway through the first movie.
    The studio is looking to make a profit. 'Krampus' only made 65 million but that was considered a huge success for the studio because it cost 15 million to make. If Captain America 3 makes twice as much it will be a huge disaster. If you make the first movie for twenty million -- and that could easily be done -- the studio could easily have a hit on its hands and have an idea of what the audiences want.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    You mean at the point where he knows there's a trap but does sweet-F-all about it and extends his stay basically to get some? Then proceeds to murder the entire town -- women and children included -- when that could've been avoided? Yeah, that might be a tough sell, ha.
    Honestly if they soften Roland there (and they probably will if not outright skip it) I'll be annoyed. It was bad enough that King had to introduce the "Land of Nineteen" (which goes NOWHERE) so his killing of Allie is somewhat justifiable. Heck watch as they change it so Roland doesn't let Jake drop on his own accord. Breaking Bad was a hugely successful show, people are used to protagonists who are morally grey.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading the plot synopsis it's really frustrating to me how they're shuffling everything around and reordering things. I think the Gunslinger would need some retooling to make it accessible for audiences but not to the extent that they're doing here.

Really, there's no way the following shouldn't work:

1. Start off with the Gunslinger on a low budget to test the waters. You don't need to make it a big budget film. Maybe save the flashbacks for later. This way it could be a modest success and still make a profit for the studio.

2. Depending on the success, continue with Drawing of the Three. Maybe try to make it accessible for newcomers who haven't seen the original film. Give it a bigger budget with more advertising and see how it does. Again, DotT isn't some epic spectacle so the studio could probably make it for thirty million or less and come back with a success.

3. By this point the studios should know whether or not they have a success on their hands. With the Waste Lands, that's when you start to crank up the budget and treat it like a big fantasy film. Again, maybe make it accessible for people who haven't seen the first two. Continue forward with future films based on the success. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I like this plan but 30 million USD seems a bit cheap for DotT given the cast, when you add Paul.

But now that I think of it...if you subtract the RV for Paul and the ephedrine budget...
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Honestly if they soften Roland there (and they probably will if not outright skip it) I'll be annoyed. It was bad enough that King had to introduce the "Land of Nineteen" (which goes NOWHERE) so his killing of Allie is somewhat justifiable. Heck watch as they change it so Roland doesn't let Jake drop on his own accord. Breaking Bad was a hugely successful show, people are used to protagonists who are morally grey.
    Spoiler:
    It doesn't get more morally grey then Walter White for sure. The guy (character) was a straight up asshole and poor Jesse kept suffering at his hand time and time again. I really hated Walter by the end of that show but Jesse always had my utmost empathy. Albeit you could agree Jesse really never did anything to help himself out of a really bad situation. Discussion for another thread. Boos from the crowd I'm sure, but I'm actually enjoying Better Call Saul much more.

Thread related: I'm thinking they'll soften up Roland as well although that'd be a huge mistake in my opinion.
    Spoiler:
    I felt compassion for Roland's loss of his mother and Susan. Beyond that, I never really cared for the guy.
    I was always more into his ka-tets. No reason the films can't give us someone else to love and feel for outside of Roland. But as you've said; don't see it going that way either.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I figure that they will cut the whole Mordred story line....it never really pans out well and involves so much Sussanah in her head stuff. That eliminates almost all of SoS and portions of Calla and TDT. Then if the backstory is handled by a series (or not at all) there goes W&tG. That narrows it down to basically 4 books worth of material and the Gunslinger will be cut down (not that there is much in there really...just keep Tull and the voyage through the mtn both of which are in the last working script).

It seems drastic what they are doing but I am not sure it is. They are introducing the concept of the breakers earlier and using Jake's "touch" to tell that story. Then if you changed what happened in the mtn since
    Spoiler:
    he is on a different and possibly more redeeming loop then there is no need to draw Jake twice...in which case it would make total sense to use the more dramatic drawing from the Wastelands for his first drawing.

After really thinking about it I am excited for the minor changes. It's not like the breakers things wasn't going on when Jake was drawn...it absolutely was we just didn't know about it until the last book.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think they could start with Roland in the desert and skip to DotT and just use flashbacks to tell the story of the gunslinger!

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I like this plan but 30 million USD seems a bit cheap for DotT given the cast, when you add Paul.
    Well Dallas Buyers Club had a budget of 5 million and that had McConaughey as well as Jared Leto. A lot A-list actors do smaller films from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    It doesn't get more morally grey then Walter White for sure. The guy (character) was a straight up asshole and poor Jesse kept suffering at his hand time and time again. I really hated Walter by the end of that show but Jesse always had my utmost empathy. Albeit you could agree Jesse really never did anything to help himself out of a really bad situation. Discussion for another thread. Boos from the crowd I'm sure, but I'm actually enjoying Better Call Saul much more.
    Not going to argue he wasn't an asshole but even at the end there was an inherent humanity to him that a number of other 'anti-heroes' lack (I would say a prime example would be to compare Tony and Christopher from the Sopranos to Walt and Jesse). But the point being BB's success is testament that people don't really have a problem with shows where the lead character isn't a 'good' person.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Reminder;

Please mark series spoilers! Especially regarding the ending!
    Thanks.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But the point being BB's success is testament that people don't really have a problem with shows where the lead character isn't a 'good' person.
    Well, some folks do and some don't. You (meaning they) have to appeal to the masses. As I've said before, my line of thinking now is the movie(s) is/are the movie(s) and the books will always be the books. I think once you get down to it, you'll be comparing apples to oranges. My true hope was that they'd do a cable series where they could take their time with it. But that would present its own unique problems and issues as well. Box office tells all so we'll find out after the ticket sales are all tallied come Monday AM after said weekend premier. Either way, I think they got us rabid fans hook, line, and sinker. We have to see how bad/good it is and we'll have to do the same each time the next film is released. If there is a next film.....
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree Brian! We are hooked like a like a fat kid following a lollypop!
    We just have to stay calm and not PANIC!!!""

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    I have to agree Brian! We are hooked like a like a fat kid following a lollypop! We just have to stay calm and not PANIC!!!""
    LOL! I call it Train Wreak Syndrome.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The first one is a hump to get over but it could still make back the studio's money if they're smart. I don't think it would be that difficult to make the story less dry while still being true to the original story.
    I have always identified with Roland and his single minded pursuit of the tower. I love him in this book and his story in Tull. I think you could make the 1st book if done well using the juxtaposition of him being a lone player killing a whole town vs him with Jake and the back story of his youth.

I still think a long television series on a cable network would have been better than a feature film.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/13/the-...tarted-filming
    The feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has begun principal photography, Sony announced tonight at CinemaCon.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    http://comicbook.com/2016/04/13/the-...tarted-filming
    The feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has begun principal photography, Sony announced tonight at CinemaCon.
    May we receive many leaked photographs from the set(s) .

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    From the article:

Haley will play Sayre, a menacing humanoid who is the vampire leader and kowtows to no one.

Country
    Country Flag

I always pictured someone like John Slattery as Sayre in my head.

My Collection

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm having a hard time getting excited about this. It seems like they're taking bits and pieces from all across the series and putting them into the first movie.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah a lot of this makes me think that the producers are nervous about this and don't trust the story to resonate with viewers.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Plot twist: the film franchise is taking the story in reverse.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, that was informative.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 254 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 226 ... LastLast