Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Cover Songs

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Default Best/Worst Cover Songs

I thought it would be fun to post our favorite cover songs...and those that make us wanna stab ourselves in the ears.

I have a lot to list, but the ones that have always stuck out for me are:

Good:

I Will Survive
    ~Cake

Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    ~Guns N Roses

Bad:

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
    ~Rolling Stones
    (I like the Sotnes and all, but Mick Jagger's vocals on this did not compare to David Ruffin of The Temptations, in my opinion. Maybe I was just spoiled. )

Sweet Child Of Mine
    Sheryl Crow
    (I can't begin to describe my anger when I heard this one)

Traveler darktowerseeker is on a distinguished road

Good: Barenaked Ladies - Say you, Say me (awesome!)
    Type-O Negative - Daytripper

Worst: 311 - Love Song (arrgg!)
    Puff Daddy - Every Breath You Take

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Some of my favorites are

All Along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band
    Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Excellent thread Amanda. I could very easily post in here all day long, but I will limit myself for now to a few examples of good and bad.

Good:

Time Is Tight - The Clash (original by Booker T. & The MG's)

The Clash do a fine rendition of it, particularly in Mick Jones' formation of chords to make up for the obvious lack of Booker T.'s organ.

Paranoid Android - Brad Mehldau (originally by Radiohead)

For those of you unfamiliar with Brad, he is a jazz pianist, and one of a caliber I can only compare to players like Thelonious Monk and Keith Jarrett. He has covered several Radiohead songs over the course of his career and does a fine job on most of them, but this one in particular is very impressive. It is a difficult song to appropriate in a solo piano version, but he does a remarkable job. Perhaps the only cover that he has done which has impressed me more is his absolutely stunning version of The Beatles' "Dear Prudence."

Sittin' In Limbo - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman (originally by Jimmy Cliff)

While I still prefer the original (Jimmy's voice is so powerful to me), Jerry & Grisman's version is fantastic. Their playing is spectacular and Jerry's voice is very well suited for this song.

Bad:

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Eric Clapton (originally by Bob Dylan)

I know a lot of people like EC's version, but for me the original is the ONLY version of this song. Short story, I was once on a date when Bob Dylan's version came on the radio in the car. The girl I was with commented that "it's ok, but it's not as good as Clapton's original version." I was quite tempted to pull the car over right then and there and declare the date over.

Dear Prudence - Jerry Garcia Band

I love Jerry, but this one just never worked for me. For starters, I've never heard a single version where he gets the words correct. Secondly, it just doesn't go anywhere musically. I am not one of those who gets on Jerry's case for "noodling" on the guitar because many many of his solos have structure and cohesiveness. Unfortunately, on most versions of Dear Prudence, this is not the case.

John F. Kennedy streetbudz is on a distinguished road streetbudz's Avatar

Good ones:

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Saul Williams (produced by Trent Reznor; this version is awesome)
    The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

Bad ones people should be shot for:

The Kashmir song that Puff Daddy did. Man did Jimmy Page sell out for that one.
    Personal Jesus - Marylin Manson. Basically the same song with terrible vocals
    Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit. Do I need to say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Some of my favorites are

All Along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band
    Interesting because it's really a double cover. Like most bands that cover this song, DMB is essentially covering the Hendrix arrangement of the song, which is, of course, a cover in and of itself. Notably, even the song's author, Bob Dylan, has claimed that Jimi's is the quintessential version.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
    A good choice. What I like about Tori is that she understands that a cover version works best when the artist completely reinterprets the song. Straight covers are boring and usually just make you long for the original. Tori also does a very nice job with Tom Waits' "Time," and I am usually very hard to impress with Tom Waits' covers.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What I love about DMB's version of All Along the Watchtower is how it starts off really slow and quite, and then bam! they come busting in with the music. Definately their best cover in my opinion.
    And Jimi's version of the song is wonderful as well. I haven't really heard a version of that song that I don't like.

And I agree about Tori. I think when you cover a song it works best when you reinterpret it and put your own spin on it. Otherwise you may as well just listen to the original. Another good one that she does is Livin on a Prayer, I don't know if you've heard that one or not.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

And I agree about Tori. I think when you cover a song it works best when you reinterpret it and put your own spin on it. Otherwise you may as well just listen to the original. Another good one that she does is Livin on a Prayer, I don't know if you've heard that one or not.
    I have. My wife is about as obsessed with Tori as I am with Tom Waits and Miles Davis so I have been exposed to a lot of her music, and have seen her several times. Her version of that song is listenable, which is a LOT more than I can say for the original.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Good:

"Enjoy the Silence" - Lacuna Coil (originally by Depeche Mode) - I just love everything
    about this!

"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley (originally by Leonard Cohen) - Amazing. I also love the Rufus
    Wainwright version.

"Crash" - Stevie Nicks (originally by Dave Matthews Band) - I think she did a great job.

"So You Want To Be A Rock and Roll Star" - Tom Petty (originally by the Byrds) - Love it!

Bad:

"American Girl" - Pearl Jam (originally by Tom Petty) - I love Pearl Jam, but geez,
    this was just badddddd.

"Piece of My Heart" - Faith Hill (originally by Janis Joplin - When I heard this version on
    the radio, I almost cried. Janis sang it with such passion and
    feeling, Faith Hill literally sings it like a carefree, pop song.
    Absolutely horrible. * on second thought, I don't think Janis did this originally, but her's is the most well-known, so oh well.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    * on second thought, I don't think Janis did this originally, but her's is the most well-known, so oh well.
    You are correct to think twice. The original version was recorded by Erma Franklin (Aretha's older sister) in 1967. It was a top 10 hit, but nowhere near as well known as Janis' version.

Vernon Reid recorded a great version of "Enjoy the Silence" on his most recent album "Other True Self." People may remember Vernon as the guitar player from the popular 1990's band Living Colour. He is a stellar guitar player, and does an amazing instrumental version of this song. To be honest, I hate the Depeche Mode version, but Vernon's version made me realize it's a good song.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jayson for clearing that up. I just listened to the Erma Franklin's version and really liked it, although I still prefer the Janis version.

A couple other covers I really like:

"Whiskey in the Jar" by Metallica (originally by The Dubliners)

and

I really like the Ike and Tina Turner version of "Proud Mary"
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of covers, Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Superstition is, I think, better than the original.

Bad
    Hooked on a Feeling

My Sweet Lord (wtf George?!)

Anything sung by Axel Rose (the grating that his voice inflicts upon my ears is much akin to the feeling of having them cleaned out with a sandpaper q-tip)

Good
    Anything by Mr. Bungle (aside from a couple of selections from California)

Too many Pink Floyd songs to name...but I should note that they all came before Roger Waters left the band

Sound of Silence

Weigh (by Phish)

Nights in White Satin

Jungle Boogie

Tubesnake Boogie (speaking of "boogie")

Baby Got Back

Shape of my Heart (Sting)

Oh Yeah (Yello is great all around IMO but this is their crown jewel)

Ride of the Valkyries

I could sit here and list songs I love all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    My Sweet Lord (wtf George?!)
    Do you mean the re-recorded 2001 version from the remastered "All Things Must Pass" album? If so, I agree with you completely. It's the musical version of the revised Gunslinger. It was completely unnecessary and did not do justice to the original song.

Weigh (by Phish)
    The Phish version of "Weigh" is not a cover. It was written by Phish bass player Mike Gordon and first appeared on their album Rift. Are you talking about some cover of it for whom you didn't mention what band it was?

Too many Pink Floyd songs to name...but I should note that they all came before Roger Waters left the band
    What Pink Floyd songs from the Roger Waters era are covers? I cannot for the life of me figure out a single one. Unless, again, you are talking about someone else covering the song and just didn't name them in your post. Please clarify.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

You know what? I completely missed the point of the thread. I thought it was just best and worst songs period and I noticed the last couple of posts about covers. Yep...I'm a tool.

You know what? I completely missed the point of the thread. I thought it was just best and worst songs period and I noticed the last couple of posts about covers. Yep...I'm a tool.
    It's ok dude. You did confuse me a bit there.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Good:
    Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm
    That is a good one

While I'm picky about anyone touching Beatles or Lennon covers, I've got to say Matisyahu's cover of "Watching The Wheels" is awesome in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    While I'm picky about anyone touching Beatles or Lennon covers, I've got to say Matisyahu's cover of "Watching The Wheels" is awesome in my book.
    I have mixed feelings about that one. Musically I think he does a good job with it. It just seems a bit odd contextually. Lyrically the song is about the five years John took off from the music business when Sean was born. It's his response to all the criticism to which he was subjected at the time, and thus it sounds kind of odd out of context.

Traveler darktowerseeker is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Good:

Bad:

"American Girl" - Pearl Jam (originally by Tom Petty) - I love Pearl Jam, but geez,
    this was just badddddd.

honestly, i love pearl jam too, but i don't like any one of their covers.

Quote Originally Posted by darktowerseeker View Post
    honestly, i love pearl jam too, but i don't like any one of their covers.
    I'm with you there with a couple of exceptions... they do pretty good versions of the Ramones' "I Believe In Miracles" and the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams." Other than that, I prefer when they stick to their own material.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Judas Priest's version of Paint It Black.

I do too Feev. I like the original better (it's one of the Stones' best songs) but I do like the Priest version a lot.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

I have to say Kid Rocks All Summer Long, while maybe not technically a cover, samples both Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama and it should have been burnt at birth.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    I have to say Kid Rocks All Summer Long, while maybe not technically a cover, samples both Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama and it should have been burnt at birth.

I agree with you there!
    Kid Rock has gotten rather "twangy" lately.
    I agree. I have noticed that alot of kid Rock's music is getting worse and worse, and I used to like him (his old stuff anyway.)
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

my local radio station played it 3 times between 8am and 4pm the other day. I'm a Zevon and Skynyrd fan. Think how I feel....

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ouch!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast