Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 650 of 713 FirstFirst ... 150 550 600 640 648 649 650 651 652 660 700 ... LastLast
Results 16,226 to 16,250 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing! Very cool backstory!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    ...I have re-read it every year since always commencing on September 5th...
    That is very cool. There are a few things I'd like to give the annual treatment, but I don't read enough to be able to fit novel-length things in that frequently (I am able to read A Christmas Carol each December because it is quite short).

...I thought I would share some images from a recent trip to the real Jerusalem's Lot.
    Did you take these photos or find them somewhere?

If the former: how did you get that creepy effect?

If the latter: what was the source?

Just curious; they really stand out.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...I have re-read it every year since always commencing on September 5th...
    That is very cool. There are a few things I'd like to give the annual treatment, but I don't read enough to be able to fit novel-length things in that frequently (I am able to read A Christmas Carol each December because it is quite short).

...I thought I would share some images from a recent trip to the real Jerusalem's Lot.
    Did you take these photos or find them somewhere?

If the former: how did you get that creepy effect?

If the latter: what was the source?

Just curious; they really stand out.
    ST,

Thanks for your kind words.
    I start SL every September 5th and then let it play out until October 7, the day that Ben Mears and Mark Petrie punch Barlow's ticket. This allows me to take my time savoring favorite passages and the like. I usually read 2-3 other books during that same timeframe.
    All pictures except the newspaper photo of the real Marston House were taken by me when I was in Durham last October. The creepy effect came from using a basic filter option on my laptop along with reducing the light aspect.

BM

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The photos are great. They really evoke the feel of the novel. Thanks very much for posting!
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    The photos are great. They really evoke the feel of the novel. Thanks very much for posting!
    Thanks for noticing HBJ. That is the effect I was going for. If I were to someday redo my Second Coming prototype I would use these photographs.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Love the photos! They definitely do evoke the novel. Thanks for posting. I really need to plan a trip up to Maine sometime.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Wow great story man. Amazing pictures, too. You’ve read SL 42 times? How much do you think you have memorized?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Wow great story man. Amazing pictures, too. You’ve read SL 42 times? How much do you think you have memorized?
    Probably not as much as I should after so many readings!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Very cool photos.
    Also, that is such an awesome yearly tradition to keep for yourself.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. It is important for everyone to treat themselves to something special once in a while. Cool story and even better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Very cool photos.
    Also, that is such an awesome yearly tradition to keep for yourself.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear. It was as excellent as TNOTW; I've now joined the others who've been waiting for book #3 in the series.

Now...having said it was excellent, I do have some comments that aren't positive:

Spoiler:
    Once he got together with Felurian, it seemed like he was getting laid left and right. It's not that this was illogical; it just seemed a bit much. Kvothe knows his way around now - I get it.

Once he got away from Felurian, he catches up with the rest of the anti-raider group, fortunately just as they are completing their tale of what happened when they last saw Kvothe - that is mighty convenient timing. In a lesser work, and if much hinged on this coincidence, this would really bother me.

Rather than return to the Maer upon having escaped Felurian's grasp, Kvothe elects to accompany Tempi to Ademre to sort those problems out. Given that Tempi has gotten himself into trouble by teaching Kvothe, it is completely logical and reasonable that Kvothe would feel responsible and want to help - but Kvothe belongs to the Maer utterly. How could he think “well, I did what you asked, your grace, but then I took a month to do some other shit that you wouldn’t understand and wouldn’t care about even if you did” would fly? It did fly, of course, but this still stood out for me.

To sum up: although these things got my attention, they ultimately didn't bother me much.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'll apologize in advance: this post got out of hand.

Today, I began Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales, from Oxford University Press.

Of course, Doyle is known for his Sherlock material; this collection covers his gothic non-Sherlock dabblings:

- This is the first-ever scholarly edition of Conan Doyle's "Gothic Tales," meticulously sourced with the history of each tale

- Features a new critical introduction from expert Darryl Jones, who offers an analysis of the importance of the Gothic to the whole of Doyle's writing career
    ...more info at https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...?lang=en&cc=us.

As a physical book, GT is a good example of a type of book I quite like: by no means fine, exclusive or expensive, but is part of a line (the Oxford World's Classics Hardback Collection) that, for the most part, has distinctive designs that make for an enjoyable book to hold or to have on the shelf (see for yourself at https://global.oup.com/academic/cont...?lang=en&cc=us). From this line, I also have M.R. James' Collected Ghost Stories (which I will read next month) and will buy The Mabinogion and Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan and Other Horror Stories, which in turn reminds me that Centipede Press has their own Machen volume out now (http://www.centipedepress.com/masters/machenlwf.html), a bargain at only $40, and NOT to be confused with CP's recent larger Machen volume, which has sold out. (FWIW, while there is some overlap between CP's $40 Machen and the OUP Machen, there is enough difference that I plan to get both).

For a great look at Gothic Tales, check this out:

You will notice that this person didn't like this book (physically) as I did; he has some points about quality (especially if you are evaluating it as a collector), but it takes a lot to make me dislike a clothbound book, and I like this one (I will admit: the white cloth picks up everything).

I'd like to add that the YouTuber behind this video (Pontus Presents) makes some of the very best book videos (unboxing and others) I've ever seen (clear video and audio (which are painful when absent in others' videos), nice descriptions, shows lots of illustrations (when they exist), and often has helpful links under the video).

If you are interested only in King, he isn't for you (it's possible that he covered Folio Society's The Shining, but that's the only King he might have covered), but if you are open to other bibliofun, he's covered things from Folio Society, Everyman's Library, and Taschen, as well as some deluxe Tolkien things.

Something that should interest some of you is a great (and creepy) video he did for Folio Society's edition of The Exorcist:

...which features the illustrations that first appeared in Lonely Road's edition (perhaps someone out there has that - if so, please point me to some photos (yours?) of the interior (other than the illustrations), as I've never been able to find any).

And while I'm mentioning Pontus Presents, I feel compelled to share the video (which you should watch on the biggest screen you own) for Folio Society's limited edition (1,000 copies, $865.00) of Alice In Wonderland:

...which is one of the most spectacular productions I've ever seen: 13" x 9 3/4", and

"This edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has been composed in Founders Caslon types at The Folio Society and printed on Ambassador Cream Twin-wire laid by Smith Settle, Yeadon, West Yorkshire. The plates and the scraps have been printed on Olin silk paper by Napier Jones, London. The limited edition etching has been hand-printed under the artist's supervision by New Leaf Editions, Vancouver, Canada, on Somerset velvet buff 100% cotton mouldmade paper, and mounted on Hahnemühle Bugra Butten.

The endpapers have been printed letterpress on Bugra Butten by the Logan Press, Wellingborough, Northants. The book has been hand-bound in vellum blocked in 22-carat gold, with vellum tips and Freelife Merida sides, by Smith Settle. The edition is limited to 1000 copies, signed and numbered by the artist on the etching, and thirty copies numbered in roman numerals, which are hors commerce."
    Sorry for the extra ramble, but when I get going, it takes a lot to stop me. Hopefully this has been of some use or interest to some of you.

Once again: I have no connection to OUP or PP; I just like to gush when I find something I really like (and the humans around me, for the most part, don't understand the appeal of books - one of them doesn't even read for pleasure...).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the share! Those look like some really beautiful editions. About to head out to work so I'll check the vids out later.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, Grady Hendrix has a new book out. I put a hold on it at the library. First in line, baby!

My American Unhappiness by Dean Baropoulos and Lethal White by Robert Galbraith with 'Salem's Lot re-read sandwiched in-between.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

“Occultation” by Laird Barron

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just started Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read Origin by Dan Brown? Any good?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've read everything by him. His books are hard to put down but don't really stay with you. Perfect summer reading or something you'd read in between some heavy lifting.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I've read everything by him. His books are hard to put down but don't really stay with you. Perfect summer reading or something you'd read in between some heavy lifting.
    Thanks. I kind of feel the same way.. I don't remember many of them. BUT remember liking them...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I liked his first couple of books but he lost me with Inferno. I felt it was poorly written, very 'clunky', a feeling I did not have with his first books. Like you guys, I do rember reading and enjoying Dan Brown books but I hardly have any idea anymore what they were about

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Has anyone read Origin by Dan Brown? Any good?
    Nowhere near as good as his others. Forgettable and formulaic - BUT I read it rather quickly as he still made it addictive to read. I think I’m just a sucker for really short chapters

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I came close to reading this after the hbo series, as I’ve read her other two...curious to hear your verdict on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    I came close to reading this after the hbo series, as I’ve read her other two...curious to hear your verdict on this one
    I'll let you know when I finish. I've been holding off on watching the show until I read it.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    I'll let you know when I finish. I've been holding off on watching the show until I read it.
    It’s one of the most rated books (#4 or #5 I think) on my gigantic Goodreads to-read list. Apparently it’s extremely popular.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 650 of 713 FirstFirst ... 150 550 600 640 648 649 650 651 652 660 700 ... LastLast