Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 597 of 714 FirstFirst ... 97 497 547 587 595 596 597 598 599 607 647 697 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,925 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Oy View Post
    Just read the David Eddings Belgariad stuff. Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath and Polgara. Really enjoyed them but the last one started to get a bit tiring towards the end. Still - a good set of 12 books!
    I read those as they came out. I loved them. I get what your saying though. By the time you've read them all it's time to move on.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I finished End of Watch earlier today. I liked it a lot more than Mr. Mercedes and especially Finders Keepers (I'd give that book a negative star if I could). EoW is not King's best work but it's damned good. Unputdownable is the term, I believe. I'd like to see a S/L of all three books in one giant tome. Ya feelin' me, CD? I'm not sure what the word count for all three is but I doubt it's more than It, The Stand or other doorstoppers. .

I was deciding what to read next, either The View from the Cheap Seats or The Fireman. I noticed a trend among the 5-star reviews of The Fireman; they tend to come from reviewers who received the early reading copies for free. That and the less-than-welcoming opinions on here helped me choose The View. No regrets, Gaiman's love of writing and all things books shines through.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just started The Fireman earlier this week and I'm completely hooked. I hope it stays as good as it currently is.

And now you have me contemplating that I should read End of Watch. I picked it up, because I have to have every King book, but I had no intentions of reading it because I wasn't a fan of Mr. Mercedes or Finders Keepers.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

What's different about EoW is that Hodges finally does some detective work.

Just kidding, it really is a good book. Economy of words, emotional gut-punch, one twisted bad guy.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Just finished the Wayward Pines trilogy as well. Great series. Now on to the tv show.
    Be prepared to BE DISAPPOINTED
    The books were great and it will be very hard to for the show to match up. I will give it a watch anyways.

Country
    Country Flag

I really, really, reaaaally liked Josh Malerman's Bird Box and was stoked to finally find a signed copy. The signature is basically just his initials. I don't expect a perfect signature, nor a legible one for that matter, but if a publisher, a book store or a fan pay for the signature, they should get one.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Mr. Mercedes - a re-read.
    Love this book.

On to Finders Keepers - which I have not read before.

sk

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Enjoyed the first issue of Tales from the Darkside.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothess? I was told I just have to read this book... Thought I would ask the guys n gals here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I just looked up the Wayward Pines trilogy because I have never heard of it before and it sounds AMAZING. I'm a giant Twin Peaks fan, so I'm so excited to start this soon. Thanks guys!
    Do it, Erin! It is an amazing series that hooks you immediately. I'm so excited for you to check it out.

Also, Amanda, I recently read the first 4 Hitchhiker's books and while I was really enjoying them, for some reason I just couldn't finish and had to walk away. I will eventually read the rest, but I'm just not motivated to do it. And it's weird, because like I said, I like them!
    That's how I feel! I was really enjoying it when I first started, but I think I've just hit a spot where I need to take a break and get back to it later.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Since I don't want to get to End of Watch just yet, but am craving that comforting feeling of sinking into a King book, I've decided to start Christine.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Good choice. I really enjoyed Christine.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading It for the first time.

Want to re-read Duma Key too. I loved Duma Key. Only King I've read which creeped me out consistently.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    One of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Want to re-read Duma Key too. I loved Duma Key. Only King I've read which creeped me out consistently.
    One of his best IMO.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

I've always been intrigued with the small bits of the film I've seen over the years, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
    I'm running out of "new" King material to read.

I think I need to re-read Duma Key one day. The only thing that stands out for me is the ending, so maybe if I wait a bit longer, I'll forget that part so I can enjoy a reread.

Speaking of re-reads, I've really been thinking about jumping into Rose Madder someday in the near future.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean about running out of new King material, Amanda. I didn't realize that I only have a handful or two left. (Some I haven't read yet: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, Doctor Sleep, Different Seasons, The Colorado Kid, Eyes of Dragon, Hearts In Atlantis...and a few others.) I also haven't read Rose Madder, so maybe we can do a buddy read.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've been thinking of re-reading both of these this summer. Love them both. Funny that you say that about Duma Key, because It is one of the very few books to do that to me. It just gave me this creepy oppressive dread feeling while reading it. No book has ever outright scared me, that's the closest I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Since I don't want to get to End of Watch just yet, but am craving that comforting feeling of sinking into a King book, I've decided to start Christine.
    Christine is classic King. Love it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What are you currently reading?

I've always been intrigued with the small bits of the film I've seen over the years, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
    There are parts in Kings best books that I feel don't get adequately translated into the film versions, and consequently they are entirely lost. I had watched some of the earlier movies like Cujo, Christine, Firestarter and The Dead Zone before I got around to reading the books, and when I eventually read them I was amazed with how some key themes were not present in the movies. Elements that I felt were so pivotal to the story, and made it so much more meaningful. But I guess that's just the nature of film versions of books. And there are exceptions of course.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading The Goldfinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I know what you mean about running out of new King material, Amanda. I didn't realize that I only have a handful or two left. (Some I haven't read yet: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, Doctor Sleep, Different Seasons, The Colorado Kid, Eyes of Dragon, Hearts In Atlantis...and a few others.) I also haven't read Rose Madder, so maybe we can do a buddy read.
    I have to say Eyes of the Dragon and Hearts in Atlantis are on my list of favorite King stories. You're in for a real treat with those.
    Rose Madder is also a great one. Whenever you get around to reading it, let me know. Mayhap we can do a buddy read.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I've been thinking of re-reading both of these this summer. Love them both. Funny that you say that about Duma Key, because It is one of the very few books to do that to me. It just gave me this creepy oppressive dread feeling while reading it. No book has ever outright scared me, that's the closest I get.

Christine is classic King. Love it.
    I'm looking forward to it! I've only read a few pages so far, but plan to open it back up here soon when my lunchbreak comes around. [rubs hands together]

There are parts in Kings best books that I feel don't get adequately translated into the film versions, and consequently they are entirely lost. I had watched some of the earlier movies like Cujo, Christine, Firestarter and The Dead Zone before I got around to reading the books, and when I eventually read them I was amazed with how some key themes were not present in the movies. Elements that I felt were so pivotal to the story, and made it so much more meaningful. But I guess that's just the nature of film versions of books. And there are exceptions of course.
    Exactly. And that's why I love to try out King books even if I have seen parts of the film version. With Stephen King, you're guaranteed to get all these extra layers behind the story that couldn't be conveyed onto the screen. I know "the book is always better than the movie", no matter the author, but King is able to wield some completely other magic than most authors.

Country
    Country Flag

Giving up Ballard's High-Rise. I just don't care about any of those idiots anymore.

I'm going to start The Fireman. I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Burning Fight.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

MAGIC- Isaac Asimov
    IRON JOHN- Robert Bly

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.
    Just saw this after my post. EotD, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's that DT related; I mean that Flagg could be Walter from a different universe. I absolutely love HiA and would recommend it regardless of DT connections. INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Never understood how people could hate Insomnia. Then again, people love Desperation and I wasn't a fan.

Being 200 pages into a novel is usually a good thing, unless you're reading some gargantuan King book and you're really about 17% finished.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 597 of 714 FirstFirst ... 97 497 547 587 595 596 597 598 599 607 647 697 ... LastLast