Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Goldmember LokiJake will become famous soon enough LokiJake will become famous soon enough LokiJake's Avatar

thanks for the helpful links

Gunslinger Apprentice cryptkeeper has a spectacular aura about cryptkeeper has a spectacular aura about cryptkeeper's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What size archival/comic book bags do you recommend for the Cemetery Dance's Stephen King books like "It" and "Salem's Lot"? Where do you obtain them? They're big books.

Also, is it safe to use archival tape on the protective covers to fasten them to the books?
    “In every grain of wheat there lies hidden the soul of a star.”

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure about the comic book bags, but don't tape anything to your books. The covers should stay on just fine.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Figured I would ask this odd question here. I am making a huge life change and moving to another state: Florida. Today is June 6th. I'm moving July 14th or around there. I have roughly 160 books to pack, bubble wrap, etc. So, if I packed them say in a week, would they be OK? Meaning, they will be in A/C in my house, boxed, and obviously cared for as I await moving. Getting a jump on the move so I'm not running around when it is crunch time. Will the books be OK sitting boxed up for roughly a month before I have to move? Thanks.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

First off, welcome to Florida.

I think you'll be fine boxing the books. I've had books that remained packaged for longer with no problems.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

I think you'll be fine boxing the books. I've had books that remained packaged for longer with no problems.
    I love the cold weather, will miss that the most, plus the ethnic food. It will be way north, Jacksonville area, and winter there is shockingly in the 40s so that will make me feel a little better. But, I need to do something as I'm not afraid to change for the better. As always thanks Brian. You truly are the Brain.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

I'm basically using smaller type boxes. 16 by 12 by 12. Sturdy boxes. I lace the bottom with packing paper. I wrap each book individually with 4-5 12" pieces of bubble wrap and I usually stand them up. The top of the box is then filled with packing paper or even thin jackets. So far things seem solid. I'm guessing when finished I will have roughly 18 boxes of books. If anyone is curious, I recommend buying bubble wrap online only. Way cheaper!!!!!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I store my really expensive books in waterproof containers from The Container Store.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep the boxes of books well below 35 LBS. each. Tall boxes will eventually topple (unless you personally pack, load, carry, unload, unpack each box). The heavier the box the more likely somewhere along the line that it will be dropped, slid, thrown over, etc.

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Keep the boxes of books well below 35 LBS. each. Tall boxes will eventually topple (unless you personally pack, load, carry, unload, unpack each box). The heavier the box the more likely somewhere along the line that it will be dropped, slid, thrown over, etc.
    Thanks guys. These are small boxes for moving only and I'll be the only one handling them. 16" by 12" by 12". Makes me nervous moving as this will be the first time I have ever done something like this. Being anal with all of them. Hundreds of feet of bubble wrap for sure!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

When carrying boxes always have one hand underneath to prevent the bottom from breaking open.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    When carrying boxes always have one hand underneath to prevent the bottom from breaking open.
    And the other hand to shove people out of the way of your valuable books.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    And the other hand to shove people out of the way of your valuable books.
    I just attach spikes to the front of the boxes and walk at a quick pace without looking...

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The next time one of you decides to come to Maine to visit, do a tour, etc. let me know. I'll pay you in alcohol to come put brodart covers on. I have less hair because of these. Yes Brian, do an instructional video!

(no drinking the alcohol WHILE putting the covers on )

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I found what helps is that you put the book on the top right edge after you have the jacket inserted and aligned. That tends to hold down that section. Then you straighten the other side and then flap the bottom plastic over and start pressing down on the fold. Hope that makes sense.

Gunslinger Apprentice cryptkeeper has a spectacular aura about cryptkeeper has a spectacular aura about cryptkeeper's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    The next time one of you decides to come to Maine to visit, do a tour, etc. let me know. I'll pay you in alcohol to come put brodart covers on. I have less hair because of these. Yes Brian, do an instructional video!

(no drinking the alcohol WHILE putting the covers on )
    Wouldn't dream of drinking alcohol while or during putting the covers on, but afterwards...

I use a bone folder and I keep the fold tightened as a move along with it. It's hard to explain; but I've seen videos on YouTube. I practiced on some of my less prized books first. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it. I used the Bodart fold-on sheets. But I had to use bigger sizes on my CD books. Does anyone here use the Bodart rolls?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cryptkeeper View Post

I use a bone folder and I keep the fold tightened as a move along with it. It's hard to explain; but I've seen videos on YouTube. I practiced on some of my less prized books first. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it. I used the Bodart fold-on sheets. But I had to use bigger sizes on my CD books. Does anyone here use the Bodart rolls?
    I use a roll. It cost me an arm and a leg to ship to the UK (Damn thing is HEAVY!) but its lasted well. I've covered a lot of books and still have about a 3rd left for new ones.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The nice thing about the roll is that you can cut it to size. I hate using a cover that is not as wide as the dustjacket. It just doesn't do the job.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use the rolls too, Beverly. Don't worry - after you've covered a few hundred, it becomes easier!

Country
    Country Flag

The nice thing about the roll is that you can cut it to size. I hate using a cover that is not as wide as the dustjacket. It just doesn't do the job.
    I've had to use the next size up and fold/crease it along the bottom to cover the entire dust jacket. I'd feel better using the size that fits properly, not having to crease it along the bottom of the dust jacket, and without all the excess. I'm going to buy a role next time.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I use the rolls too, Beverly. Don't worry - after you've covered a few hundred, it becomes easier!
    Lol, if I'm not in a brodart induced coma by then I will remember this!

Thanks for the little tips and tricks everyone. I can't say that I've tried anything yet. I'm waiting for my blood pressure to decrease....

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Lol, if I'm not in a brodart induced coma by then I will remember this!

Thanks for the little tips and tricks everyone. I can't say that I've tried anything yet. I'm waiting for my blood pressure to decrease....
    Ha I remember when I bought my first box of 100 and started backlogging on all the books I had. 3 days later I had 4 paper cuts and about 75 books covered. I now hate covering them so I just buy them and put them in a stack until it gets too tall and finally force myself to cover them.
    I will say the best trick I have is
    1. Use a bone folder (or something soft edged) to pre-crease the paper first and then the plastic to the size of the jacket before applying the adhesive strip if you are using those.
    2. Always have two lighter books i.e. FDNS and Cujo and lay them on top of the brodart with the jacket in it to hold down the flaps for you. If not the brodart will be near impossible to to get snug all the way around.

My Mood
    Confused

One of the guys on here mentioned something to me that really helped with not getting that white paper lip on the top. I always used to fold the paper and the plastic together. That allows or usually gave me that extra lip of white paper a tad higher then the plastic when folded together. So, I would line up the bottom of the jacket in the fold several times by flattening the jacket. Take something not too heavy to hold one corner and pressing to the non-held side multiple times. Now, I fold just the paper first. Taking my time! Then the plastic after. The bone folder always works nice after the fact. I buy the 3 tab adhesive Brodart sleeves. My jackets look much more professional now. Thanks to the member here whom I forgot their name . Too many members. which is a good thing.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Beverly, these guys got me so freaked out that after I ordered a bunch of Brodart covers, I let them sit for a few YEARS before ever attempting to install one (no exaggeration). Once I did a few, I realized it wasn't as difficult as many collectors make it out to be. Or maybe I just got lucky and finally found my one true talent in life. If so, how can I make a living at this?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you want to make a living at it just become a librarian. I swear all I ever see them doing is covering the books!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast