Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link. I see Jackie on there. Reminds me that I must see that movie. I haven't heard anything about it but when I saw the trailer I was pretty excited.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm way too unorganised a person to keep track of what I watch. That's why I always fail at maintaining my list on here. I made my lists just by googling top rated films. There are plenty of films I loved which I didn't include because I didn't see them, like The Double and Uncle John.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Took me a while and this is the longest one so far, but here's my longlist for 2015 (this will be near impossible to pare down to my usual 30 and rank it):
    • 45 Years (2015)
    • A Man Called Ove (2015)
    • Aferim! (2015)
    • Anomalisa (2015)
    • Ant-Man (2015)
    • April and the Extraordinary World (2015)
    • Arabian Nights (2015)
    • Beasts of No Nation (2015)
    • Bone Tomahawk (2015)
    • Born to Be Blue (2015)
    • Bridge of Spies (2015)
    • Brooklyn (2015)
    • Carol (2015)
    • Cemetery of Splendor (2015)
    • Chi-Raq (2015)
    • Creed (2015)
    • Demolition (2015)
    • Dheepan (2015)
    • Dope (2015)
    • Embrace of the Serpent (2015)
    • Ex Machina (2015)
    • Green Room (2015)
    • Inside Out (2015)
    • Jurassic World (2015)
    • Kaili Blues (2015)
    • Krisha (2015)
    • Land of Mine (2015)
    • Look Who's Back (2015)
    • Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
    • Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015)
    • Mountains May Depart (2015)
    • Mr. Holmes (2015)
    • Mustang (2015)
    • Our Little Sister (2015)
    • Rams (2015)
    • Room (2015)
    • Sicario (2015)
    • Slow West (2015)
    • Son of Saul (2015)
    • Spotlight (2015)
    • Spy (2015)
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
    • Steve Jobs (2015)
    • Straight Outta Compton (2015)
    • Sweet Bean (2015)
    • Tangerine (2015)
    • The Age of Adaline (2015)
    • The Assassin (2015)
    • The Big Short (2015)
    • The Brand New Testament (2015)
    • The Danish Girl (2015)
    • The Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015)
    • The Gift (2015)
    • The Hateful Eight (2015)
    • The Intern (2015)
    • The Lobster (2015)
    • The Martian (2015)
    • The Peanuts Movie (2015)
    • The Revenant (2015)
    • The Second Mother (2015)
    • The Summer of Sangaile (2015)
    • The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale (2015)
    • The Walk (2015)
    • The Wave (2015)
    • The Witch (2015)
    • Tomorrowland (2015)
    • Trainwreck (2015)
    • Trumbo (2015)
    • Victoria (2015)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Here's my lists. Hope I didn't forget any. I had a hard time finding complete lists of films released by year.

Black Swan
    The Fighter
    Shutter Island
    Inception
    The Town
    Machete
    Exit Through the Gift Shop
    Insidious

The Artist
    Super 8
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    The Muppets
    Scream 4
    Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    Trollhunter
    Melancholia

Django Unchained
    Moonrise Kingdom
    The Hunger Games
    Chasing Ice
    Argo
    The Woman in Black

Her
    The Conjuring
    Stoker
    Dark Skies
    The Lords of Salem

The Babadook
    Song of the Sea
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    If I Stay
    A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Boyhood
    Tusk
    Gone Girl

Hateful Eight
    The Revenant
    It Follows
    Brooklyn
    The Wolfpack
    Where to Invade Next
    Mustang
    Crimson Peak
    Sicario
    Spotlight
    Jurassic World

10 Cloverfield Lane
    The Nice Guys
    Don't Breath
    The Lobster
    La La Land
    The Girl on the Train
    Before the Flood
    Hell or High Water
    The VVitch
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if these are ranked but I really like your lists, Heather. Melancholia definitely will be near the top of my 2011 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I had a hard time finding complete lists of films released by year.
    There are lots of sources, including Wikipedia, IMDB, RT, etc.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, I tried to rank them. I used Wikipedia but it didn't give me a complete list, so then I went to RT and then Google. And I did my favorite/best films of the years. I feel like my lists were very different from everyone else's.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Yes, I tried to rank them. I used Wikipedia but it didn't give me a complete list, so then I went to RT and then Google. And I did my favorite/best films of the years. I feel like my lists were very different from everyone else's.
    That's a good thing! Variety is the spice of life and who wants to read the same list over and over again?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Some of my picks for 2010 had limited screenings in 2009 but were not available in America until 2010, should they remain?

See, I knew I forgot a few. Just added in Where to Invade Next to my 2015 list and Before the Flood to 2016.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Some of my picks for 2010 had limited screenings in 2009 but were not available in America until 2010, should they remain?
    I always go by IMDB years.

Here's the RT link but it's only their top 100: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2016

This is from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2016_films

And IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?yea...er_rating,desc

Country
    Country Flag

Got my 2011 list down to the Top 30 and ranked:
    1. Melancholia (2011)
    2. Carnage (2011)
    3. Take Shelter (2011)
    4. A Separation (2011)
    5. The Intouchables (2011)
    6. Midnight in Paris (2011)
    7. Moneyball (2011)
    8. Bridesmaids (2011)
    9. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)
    10. The Woman (2011)
    11. The Artist (2011)
    12. 50/50 (2011)
    13. Thor (2011)
    14. The Descendants (2011)
    15. The Raid: Redemption (2011)
    16. Bernie (2011)
    17. Hugo (2011)
    18. Sleeping Beauty (2011)
    19. The Painting (2011)
    20. X-Men: First Class (2011)
    21. Drive (2011)
    22. Contagion (2011)
    23. Like Crazy (2011)
    24. Sunny (2011)
    25. Guilty of Romance (2011)
    26. Kill List (2011)
    27. Le Havre (2011)
    28. Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)
    29. The Help (2011)
    30. Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale (2011)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The VVitch
    Look at you using the two Vs to spell The Witch. Kudos.

Don't ask me why, but the last 3 copies I have found of Melancholia had no disc inside.

The variety of these lists are going to help all of us come up with comprehensive individual lists for each year. The truly hard part is going to be whittling down all the years and creating a list of our favorite films of the decade. It's also exciting to think that there might be films that haven't even been conceived yet that we might end liking more than some of our favorites. Very cool.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Got my 2012 list down to the Top 30 and ranked. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
    1. Argo (2012)
    2. Amour (2012)
    3. Compliance (2012)
    4. Django Unchained (2012)
    5. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
    6. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
    7. Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
    8. Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
    9. It's a Disaster (2012)
    10. Lincoln (2012)
    11. What Maisie Knew (2012)
    12. This Is 40 (2012)
    13. Flight (2012)
    14. Life of Pi (2012)
    15. Ernest & Celestine (2012)
    16. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
    17. 21 Jump Street (2012)
    18. The Hunt (2012)
    19. John Dies at the End (2012)
    20. Mud (2012)
    21. Looper (2012)
    22. Like Someone in Love (2012)
    23. Chronicle (2012)
    24. Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
    25. The Avengers (2012)
    26. Prometheus (2012)
    27. Spring Breakers (2012)
    28. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
    29. The Master (2012)
    30. Frances Ha (2012)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Your list mirrors my own in many ways. The glaring film for me is This is 40. I'm not quite sure what you and Matt see in that one. It's certainly not better than a few of the films you have it ahead of like Silver Linings Playbook, Mud and Looper. It also doesn't come close to Knocked Up.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, Knocked Up is another year. I just generally like Apatow and the cast. I had a very good time with it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, Knocked Up is another year. I just generally like Apatow and the cast. I had a very good time with it.
    I know Knocked Up was a different year. I was just trying to gauge whether or not you preferred This is 40 over Knocked Up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I know Knocked Up was a different year. I was just trying to gauge whether or not you preferred This is 40 over Knocked Up.
    I don't know if I do. I checked my 2007 list and it didn't even make it: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post818311 Probably just an omission on my part, I have been thinking of perhaps redoing some of my older lists as I've seen other films I missed then or gained a better appreciation for others.

I'm pretty sure this can be disabled in the app

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure this can be disabled in the app
    How's this?

Sent from the mind of Still Servant.

Country
    Country Flag

And here is my Top 30 for 2013:
    1. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    2. Enemy (2013)
    3. Under the Skin (2013)
    4. Her (2013)
    5. Coherence (2013)
    6. Prisoners (2013)
    7. Gravity (2013)
    8. Ida (2013)
    9. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
    10. Captain Phillips (2013)
    11. Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)
    12. The Double (2013)
    13. American Hustle (2013)
    14. Fruitvale Station (2013)
    15. Stranger by the Lake (2013)
    16. Hard to Be a God (2013)
    17. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
    18. Man of Steel (2013)
    19. The Heat (2013)
    20. Nymphomaniac (2013)
    21. Blue Jasmine (2013)
    22. The Great Beauty (2013)
    23. How I Live Now (2013)
    24. Nebraska (2013)
    25. We're the Millers (2013)
    26. The Best Offer (2013)
    27. Short Term 12 (2013)
    28. Side Effects (2013)
    29. Blue Ruin (2013)
    30. The Grandmaster (2013)

Wow, just realized I have two ScarJo films in the top five back to back! This was an awesome year for movies.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, just realized I have two ScarJo films in the top five back to back! This was an awesome year for movies.
    Actually, my list would have one more Scarlett Johansson film - Don Jon. I really enjoyed that one. She had a great year, I didn't even realize that.

Matt is going to like your list. Under the Skin, Her and The Double are all favorites of his. I have a lot of similarities with your list too. Mine would have American Hustle higher. The same for We're the Millers. That's one of the better comedies in recent years.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't a huge fan of Under The Skin, actually. It didn't really do it for me. Too abstract without the entertainment value, and several sequences were just seemingly cut and paste. And I love abstract pieces, but I didn't find it visually engaging or overly intriguing either. I do mean to rewatch it at some point. I prefer The Double to Enemy but Enemy is still great. The Double is one of those movies which should be on my list but didn't see on my quick google searches so I'll have to make amendments to my list at some point.

Country
    Country Flag

Under the Skin was amazing. So beautiful and haunting. I'm sad it's not more widely known and respected. Tremendous film.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

To me it just sat there on the screen :/ By the end when I think I was suppose to feel something I was numb to it all. Upstream Color is way better imo.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of Under The Skin, actually. It didn't really do it for me. Too abstract without the entertainment value, and several sequences were just seemingly cut and paste. And I love abstract pieces, but I didn't find it visually engaging or overly intriguing either. I do mean to rewatch it at some point. I prefer The Double to Enemy but Enemy is still great. The Double is one of those movies which should be on my list but didn't see on my quick google searches so I'll have to make amendments to my list at some point.
    Really? I thought you loved it. Are you going to make me go back and look

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure you'll find me as saying I hated it lol. I did say I wanted to rewatch it because I might actually love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast