Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mist miniseries

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Mist miniseries

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/bu...o-tv.html?_r=0
    As Oscar season approaches fever pitch, Harvey Weinstein, master of the movie awards game, is talking about ... television.

The Weinstein Company, founded eight years ago by Mr. Weinstein and his brother, Bob, is making a surge into TV production that will soon test whether it can extend its success in film to the world of television.

By next year, the company — known for movies like this year’s prize contender “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” along with some reality television, including “Project Runway,” and scattered fashion and media ventures — will be at work on more than a half-dozen new scripted series, while expanding its unscripted TV business.

The heavy investment in the production and sale of series signals a strategic shift that is meant to anchor Weinstein, a midsize independent studio, almost equally in television and film. It mirrors changes occurring elsewhere in Hollywood: Last week, for instance, the much larger Sony Pictures Entertainment said it would trim its film slate, while building up TV.

“The way to add stability to the company is to be in the television business,” Harvey Weinstein said in an interview by phone last week. Mr. Weinstein, who spoke jointly with the company’s president, David Glasser, said his goal was to create a television operation “as powerful as the theatrical division.”

The planned series will include a 10-episode detective drama set in ancient Egypt called “Book of the Dead,” in a deal that involves a British partnership and prospective sales in the United States, and “10 Commandments,” a 10-episode series being produced for the Tribune Company’s WGN America. In that, film directors like Lee Daniels, Madonna, Ryan Coogler and Wes Craven might each oversee an episode based on one of the commandments handed to Moses.

Other planned shows are “Marco Polo,” a martial arts-filled adventure series from the executive producer John Fusco for Netflix; “War and Peace,” a 14-episode retelling of Tolstoy’s Napoleonic war novel in association with the BBC; “Stan and Ollie,” about the later days of the Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy comedy team, also for the BBC, and possible sale here; and an “Entourage”-like comic series, based loosely on the adventures of the celebrity chef Michael Chiarello.

The company has also acquired rights to “Peaky Blinders,” a British crime series, and “Gomorrah,” an Italian mob drama, both of which are being offered for sale in the United States.

Those scripted shows join a growing roster of reality projects, including “Concrete Kings,” about the construction business, and “Rodeo Girls,” about female rodeo competitors, both for A&E; and “Under the Gunn” a spinoff of the company’s continuing “Project Runway” series on Lifetime.

Over all, the television operation — headed by Meryl Poster, a former film producer — is counting on what Weinstein associates describe as “the Harvey factor” and “the Weinstein DNA.” Those have something to do with the brothers’ talent relationships, and Harvey Weinstein’s undeniable flair for promotion. (His latest coup was landing an official White House screening for “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” even as administration officials said they planned to stop dabbling in Hollywood’s Oscar campaigns.)

Though no guarantee of success, the combination is enough to command attention.

“Would I be surprised in the coming years if Harvey brought something to us that makes sense for HBO? Not in the least,” said Richard Plepler, chief executive of HBO. The TV push is backed by money from a freshly negotiated $370 million in available lending from an arrangement with Union Bank. About $150 million of that is earmarked for television, Mr. Glasser said.

Mr. Weinstein acknowledged that in its early years, his company stumbled in a first round of expansion that aimed to make it less a studio than a mini-media conglomerate. “We had a rough start, to say the least,” he said.

Early misadventures included the brief ownership of a controlling stake in the social network ASmallWorld, and the acquisition of a majority stake in Genius, a home video distribution company that flopped. Once valued at $400 million, the Genius holding dwindled in value as the DVD market collapsed, and was off-loaded in 2009.

Mr. Weinstein said James L. Dolan, a friend and the chief executive of Cablevision Systems, had been particularly forceful in urging him to focus on television. With its relatively quick pacing and potential for long-running hits, TV can be a counterweight to the jagged economics of film, where even a success like “The King’s Speech” — a Weinstein-distributed Oscar winner in 2011 — may fade without creating spinoffs and sequels.

In an email, Harold Vogel, an entertainment industry analyst, said the company’s foray into television could make sense.

“It is a lot smarter for them to move toward TV scripted production than to pursue cable networks, publishing, games and other such off-the-reservation ventures, as they’ve done in the past,” Mr. Vogel wrote.

But TV, he pointed out, can be as capital-hungry as movies — the “Marco Polo” series, for instance, will cost about $90 million to produce. And despite the success of say, Jerry Bruckheimer, who years ago shifted from film to television, there is no guarantee that movie-world skills will matter in a different medium.

“The amply demonstrated Weinstein expertise is in spotting one-off films already made and in film distribution and marketing,” Mr. Vogel wrote. “In TV production, I’d not be certain that any of these skills are readily transferable.”

Bob Weinstein, interviewed separately from his brother, said he was developing original projects that would be in tune with his horror- and action-oriented Dimension brand, along with several shows based on movies he has overseen for the company. He is preparing a pilot based on the “Scream” films for MTV, for instance, and developing a proposed 10-part series with Frank Darabont, based on Dimension’s film version of Stephen King’s “The Mist.”

Mr. Weinstein said he was also hoping to quickly follow the August release of the film “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez, with a “Sin City” television series from Mr. Miller and Mr. Rodriguez.

Asked whether some of his past and present Oscar contenders might lead to future television shows, Harvey Weinstein said he saw potential, for instance, in “Silver Linings Playbook,” a comedy-drama that was written and directed by David O. Russell, and received eight Oscar nominations last year. Among this year’s contenders, he said Tracy Letts, the playwright who wrote both the stage and screen versions of “August: Osage County,” may become involved with at least an episode or two.

As for the Weinstein Company’s financial prospects, Mr. Weinstein said a vigorous push into television would help it to raise the next round of financing, whether through a public offering or otherwise.

“It certainly makes it easier for a liquidity event,” he said.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dearly hope they will make a different ending. Different from the one in the movie, I mean, not the book.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also agree. When I watch the movie on DVD, I stop it where the story stops, not where the movie stops. I HATE THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE!!!

John

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I also agree. When I watch the movie on DVD, I stop it where the story stops, not where the movie stops. I HATE THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE!!!

John
    I agree! I've said this before.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the ending and thought that it was very powerful. It looks like I'm certainly in the majority.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I dearly hope they will make a different ending. Different from the one in the movie, I mean, not the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I agree.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

John
    I agree! I've said this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I liked the ending and thought that it was very powerful. It looks like I'm certainly in the majority.
    I'm with, Ben on this one. I thought the movie ending was powerful and provocative.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved the movie ending.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I disliked the ending for one simple reason. Both endings' message is the same; it's, basically, what King's novels are so often about: one must never lose hope. In the novel this message is positive, the reader is left to hope on. In the film, they shout at the viewer: see, dumb mahfah, what happens if you fucking lose hope?!! It's as if the creators of the films didn't trust the audience to be smart or sensitive enough to get the message without it being hammered into them.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you want "hope" at the end of a King story, I suggest you avoid "Summer Thunder".

Country
    Country Flag

it's not even that I want it, - it's Sai King's recurrent theme. He can despair with the best of them, of course, but I don't think he has ever shown the retribution for despair so bluntly. I haven't read Summer Thunder, though, I'll sure look it up!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Starry eyed for a fan base of a "Horror" novelist, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have said before, and I NEVER say this....the movie ending was better. I walked out of the theater feeling slightly nauseated, and my entire family was quiet all the way home. I t wasn't until we had been home for a few minutes that we finally began to discuss it, and even then in a quietly shocked manner. Any ending that can provoke that type of emotional response has succeeded.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Starry eyed for a fan base of a "Horror" novelist, no?
    I wouldn't label King as a horror writer. His pure horror writings can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Interesting news. I'm not sure we need a mini-series based on this story though, considering the movie isn't that old. And I wonder what involvement Frank would have?

As for the ending of the movie, I didn't so much mind it except for the simple fact that as soon as it happens
    Spoiler:
    the mist clears.
    At that point it lost all impact for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Loved the movie ending.
    I prefered the ending of the movie.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Loved the movie ending.
    I prefered the ending of the movie.
    They're different, but I really liked how the film ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    As for the ending of the movie, I didn't so much mind it except for the simple fact that as soon as it happens
    Spoiler:
    the mist clears.
    I think that was the point. Had they just waited a bit longer...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Spoiler:
    the mist clears.
    Exactly.

Gunslinger Apprentice evilash is on a distinguished road evilash's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wholly preferred the movie ending. Powerful gut-punch. Not enough of this in Hollywood if you ask me.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Woot! Yep and I loved watching this in the theatre. People were quiet and (IMO) really thinking over what they just saw. (BIG) Studios typically do not like the audience to think to hard at the end of a film.

Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    I wholly preferred the movie ending. Powerful gut-punch. Not enough of this in Hollywood if you ask me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Woot! Yep and I loved watching this in the theatre. People were quiet and (IMO) really thinking over what they just saw. (BIG) Studios typically do not like the audience to think to hard at the end of a film.

Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    Seemed to me exactly the opposite - that the ending was meant to stop people thinking. What is there left to think about when everything was shoved in our faces? In the end, it suddenly became a fable with an obtrusive moral, chewed up for the viewer (which is just what they normally do in Hollywood) - or worse, a bad joke with a tasteless punchline.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Spoiler:
    the mist clears.
    Exactly.
    Yes, Not even 5 min

Honesty I think I would have loved it if he left it there, because as someone else mentioned you rarely get grim endings to big Hollywood films. But then to get the resolution so quickly, it just killed that shock for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure King was quoted as saying he loved the ending and wish he'd written it that way! :-)

A definite gut puch!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Preferred the movie ending.

...wonder if there will be a TMSGII?

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Great ending. Loved it more than any King movie so far... Made you think...what would I do
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast