Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bookcases

I didn't know where else to put this, sorry if there's a better place.

I was just browsing the various sites, looking for a good voluminous bookcase with glass doors and not really finding anything good except maybe this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49831464

Can anybody suggest a good one for me, please? I currently have just a standard open bookcase to store the majority of my miscellaneous books, and four built-in shelves for my King books. But I'd much prefer to move my King books and other first editions and collectibles into a glass door bookcase.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There has been some discussion about bookcases before. Do a search of messages using "bookcases".

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has there? I did do a search but not much came up.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

ETA: I can't find it either. Hmm....

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I didn't know where else to put this, sorry if there's a better place.

I was just browsing the various sites, looking for a good voluminous bookcase with glass doors and not really finding anything good except maybe this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49831464

Can anybody suggest a good one for me, please? I currently have just a standard open bookcase to store the majority of my miscellaneous books, and four built-in shelves for my King books. But I'd much prefer to move my King books and other first editions and collectibles into a glass door bookcase.
    I have one of those Ikea bookcases and its pretty darn good. I cheaped out on the last bookcase I bought and got a pantry instead, which I now regret.

The Ikea ones you linked too have a massive shelf load capacity, I forget what the figure is, but its considerably more than you'd ever put on a shelf. And with the doors it looks quite nice. The only downside is that the doors attach where the slots are for adjusting the shelves, which depending on the size of your books can be a problem. For instance, due to the height of Centipede Presss' "'Salem's Lot" it can't fit in this bookcase. (Based on my setup anyways).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I have been buying the Hale 300 series Barrister bookcases for many years. You can get them from a number of outlets but this one, Blue Hen, has been good for me.

http://www.bluehen.com/bookcases-woo...s-c-26_70.html

Country
    Country Flag

Not a fan of the Barrister style myself.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I took an economical approach a couple of years ago. They do require assembly, but are very sturdy and seem to do the job. I paid about $100 apiece.

I found similar ones here:

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb...1&type=Product

Here's 3 of the cases in my house:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Not a fan of the Barrister style myself.
    Really?

If not for the cost, I'd own ten!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I took an economical approach a couple of years ago. They do require assembly, but are very sturdy and seem to do the job. I paid about $100 apiece.

Oh they have a real good price right now. I just might have to consider this...

btw, the 'Salem Lot issue. Does anyone have a bookcase idea, with glass covering, for the oversized books? Eyes of the Dragon and Skeleton Crew also come to mind as oversized books.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

btw, the 'Salem Lot issue. Does anyone have a bookcase idea, with glass covering, for the oversized books? Eyes of the Dragon and Skeleton Crew also come to mind as oversized books.
    They are too big to be easily shelved. The S/L SKELETON CREW fits in my Hale bookcases (12" tall) but EOTD does not. I've got one shelf attached to a wall where I can shelve really tall books. But it is nearly full. After that I don't know what I will do. The trend of some publishers (Centipede for one) seems to be going to larger and larger books. I hate that trend. I guess I will just leave them in their shipping boxes and stack them in a closet.

Of course, if the depth of the shelf is sufficient you can lay the books on their sides but that takes up too much space and I hate to do that too.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bookcases

Look at Levenger's. They offer a number of systems with and without
    glass doors and they have barristers. You can buy as little or as much as
    you want and keep adding on.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

Oh they have a real good price right now. I just might have to consider this...

Geoff, thats another reason I've trended towards bookcases with adjustable shelves AND glass doors as opposed to barrister bookcases. That way most of the time you can shelve those oversized books.

But then, every once in a while a book like "Artists Inspired by HP Lovecraft" comes along, for which the closet is the only reasonable solution!

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is where I got mine, not top end but nice and a LOT of different styles/sizes.

http://www.homedecorators.com/

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like they only deliver in the northeast - w/in 25-40 mile radius of their stores in PA, NJ, NY, DE, and MD.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I have been buying the Hale 300 series Barrister bookcases for many years. You can get them from a number of outlets but this one, Blue Hen, has been good for me.

Bob, how high do you stack these sectionals? 3 high? 4? more?

Also, do you buy the standard height and/or depth? Or do you go with the taller and/or deeper options?

The 300 series looks good, but I like the 800 series too.

Especially of interest is the option for locks on each of the doors - which is a definite plus with young kids in the house. I'm not seeing the lock option on the other links in this thread.

The downside is that the all-in cost sure adds up for this nice of a product.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

My problem with finding a nice bookcase is that the one's I find, shipping or freight only deliver to the front door... and I live up three flights of stairs at an apartment. The delivery stops at the front door of the aparment building - not at my apartment! So, I can never find exactly what I want and get it in my place.

I understand having to pay extra for something nice that is going to last, but there's no way I could get it up all those stairs, so literally, I can't get the bookcases I would like to.

Right now, I just have basic bookcases that I got at Staples - they deliver to the door. Yeah, they're the simple one's that you have to assemble yourself, but they do the job.

I am bookmarking some cool ones that oy-the-brave linked up above, because one day, I am going to have the library of my dreams...
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, when I have the library of my dreams I'm opting for all custom built bookcases.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Ah, when I have the library of my dreams I'm opting for all custom built bookcases.
    Oh, yeah, and floor to ceiling... with door. :sigh:
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Heh, my bedroom is floor to ceiling, wall to wall built in bookcases. There are no doors though. I can reach in any direction and grab books. They are not beautiful pieces of furniture though. They are just functional, not particularly eye catching like I want.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Heh, my bedroom is floor to ceiling, wall to wall built in bookcases.
    Brice. How many times have you been told off for sleeping in the Public Library?

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Those are the kind I would get.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Heh, my bedroom is floor to ceiling, wall to wall built in bookcases.
    Brice. How many times have you been told off for sleeping in the Public Library?

If you rescue me

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

These are cheap ones from Ikea. you assemble yourself, but the price was nice.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Bob, how high do you stack these sectionals? 3 high? 4? more?

Also, do you buy the standard height and/or depth? Or do you go with the taller and/or deeper options?

The 300 series looks good, but I like the 800 series too.

Especially of interest is the option for locks on each of the doors - which is a definite plus with young kids in the house. I'm not seeing the lock option on the other links in this thread.

The downside is that the all-in cost sure adds up for this nice of a product.
    5 high is as tall as my ceilings will allow. For the most part I hang artwork on the walls where I want it and fill in the gaps with bookcases. So I go 5 high between paintings and 2 to 3 high beneath the paintings as space allows. The stackable feature of the barrister bookcases allows for great flexibility and I can rearrange everything anytime I wish.

I buy the biggest ones available, 12" interior height, I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast