Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #8 (1980-1984)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mr. John (Cougar) Mellencamp got some mentions (The Authority Song, Jack & Diane, Hurts So Good), but surprisingly no secondings. Here's another good one that could have been nominated:

John Cougar Mellencamp -- Pink Houses (1983)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Scorpions - Still Loving You (1984)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was a very popular song in the early '80s. Might have deserved a mention:

Diana Ross -- Upside Down (1980)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Upside Down" was on my list, just didn't get to it in time. Great song.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe I forgot this awesome track:

Duran Duran - Union of the Snake (1983)

Country
    Country Flag

Kind of a sappy love ballad, but I like it. According to wiki, this was released in the UK on December 31, 1984, though the US release was in Jan of '85.

REO Speedwagon -- Can't Fight this Feeling (1984)

Country
    Country Flag

An early '80s staple:

Loverboy -- Working for the Weekend (1981)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Deeply regret not getting this one nominated:

Gary Numan - Down in the Park (1980)

Country
    Country Flag

That's actually a 1979 song.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    That's actually a 1979 song.
    But I think that performance which I would have nominated was from 1980. It was on this soundtrack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_...8soundtrack%29

I can always nominate the Manson version later on

Country
    Country Flag

But it was actually first released as a single in 1979: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_the_Park

And this reminded me of another great 1979 song I am crushed I forgot to nominate, since it's one of my favorites of all time.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Real Life - Send Me an Angel (1983)

I actually forgot about this song, which is why I didn't nominate it but I don't know that it would've went very far. I only knew the song from the movie The Wizard so when I was a kid I was constantly going into music stores (remember those?) looking for the soundtrack to the movie. I think I may have found it one time but I didn't buy it. Of course now with the digital age, I can listen to it anytime I want.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

This is for Jon:

Iron Maiden - The Trooper (1983)

Can't believe this was not nominated.

We should have another tournament after this one for the good songs we left out!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This is for Jon:

Iron Maiden - The Trooper (1983)

Can't believe this was not nominated.
    Yes...I am trying to nominate songs that made the most impact on the era. Not my favorites.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home) (1983)

Bryan Adams - Heaven (1984)

My fav BA song. I didn't get it nominated here but there are a few excellent covers of this one floating around I might nominate later.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

My fav BA song. I didn't get it nominated here but there are a few excellent covers of this one floating around I might nominate later.
    I didn't realize this song was that old. I wasn't introduced to Bryan Adams music until sometime in the 90's. I think I had his greatest hits album with this song on it. I've never heard a cover of it that I've liked all that much though.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I didn't realize this song was that old. I wasn't introduced to Bryan Adams music until sometime in the 90's. I think I had his greatest hits album with this song on it. I've never heard a cover of it that I've liked all that much though.
    Forgive me for posting this here pablo:

Bryan Adams - Heaven (Boyce Avenue feat. Megan Nicole acoustic cover)

Linear Movement - "Way Out Of Living" (1983)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh we missed:

"Yeah he's just gonna break 'em in half!"

The Hooters-All You Zombies (1982)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Glenn Frey -- Smuggler's Blues (1984)

Country
    Country Flag

Tommy Tutone -- 867-5309/Jenny (1981)

Dang, a "Tommy" we missed!

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that's a big one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast