Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #1 (1945-1949)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to wiki, "recorded by Carmen Miranda with participation of Andrews Sisters for Decca Records on December 12, 1949." It charted in January 1950. I flipped a coin and am going with 1949 as a release date.

Carmen Miranda with The Andrews Sisters -- The Wedding Samba (1949)

Move along...nothing to see here...please disperse...please disperse...nothing to see here...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure that's the right version. According to Discogs, it did come out in 1949: http://www.discogs.com/Edmundo-Ros-A...elease/2420685 But I'm not seeing Carmen Miranda with The Andrews Sisters anywhere. Here is this original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4x04UEg44

The Miranda/Andrews version must be from 1950 then: http://www.discogs.com/Andrews-Siste...elease/1991887

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so I just need to move my post to the 1950's thread? That's definitely Carmen Miranda and the Andrews Sisters on the linked tract.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I guess so!

Country
    Country Flag

Carmen Miranda and The Andrews Sisters -- Cuanto La Gusta (1948)

Country
    Country Flag

I love The Andrews Sisters. Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Wikipedia is kinda vague on this, so I can't find any definitive information that this was released (not just recorded) in 1947, but at the latest it came out in 1949, according to 45cat: http://www.45cat.com/record/472860 A real classic:

Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca (1947)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Wikipedia is kinda vague on this, so I can't find any definitive information that this was released (not just recorded) in 1947, but at the latest it came out in 1949, according to 45cat: http://www.45cat.com/record/472860 A real classic:

Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca (1947)
    2nd

Country
    Country Flag

Jimmy Wakely -- One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) (1948)

Country
    Country Flag

There are so many version of this song from 1949, I don't think there's any one "original" really, but this is my favorite:

Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer - Baby, It's Cold Outside (1949)

(The version by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan is great too.)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Jimmy Wakely -- One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) (1948)
    So smooth. Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

There are so many version of this song from 1949, I don't think there's any one "original" really, but this is my favorite:

Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer - Baby, It's Cold Outside (1949)

(The version by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan is great too.)
    Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

That's 46 seconded, only 10 more needed here.

Country
    Country Flag

John Lee Hooker -- Boogie Chillen' (1948)

Tell me this didn't inspire ZZ Top; George Thorogood, and Hank Williams, Jr. (among many others, I'm sure)

Country
    Country Flag

That's #14 on the seconded list

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Mills Brothers - Dream, Dream, Dream (1947)

Country
    Country Flag

Thelonious Monk - 'Round Midnight (1947)

Country
    Country Flag

"Dream, Dream, Dream" seconded. Never heard it before, but a great tune!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I know I nominated another rendition of this tune for the '60 grouping; but here's an earlier version. Also banging good. I mean, really good!

Freddy Martin and His Orchestra -- Bumble Boogie (1946)
    Seconded.

"Dream, Dream, Dream" seconded. Never heard it before, but a great tune!
    Ya know I had heard of The Mills Brothers before but had never really listened to a whole song until tonight I think and listening to their "best of" right now I am loving every song!

Country
    Country Flag

That's what this is about in part - discovery!

I am most thankful!

Country
    Country Flag

Obvious influence on Elvis (so much so, Presley's cover was his second released single).

Roy Brown -- Good Rocking Tonight (1947)

Hank Williams - I Saw the Light (1947)

Country
    Country Flag

Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Let the Good Times Roll (1946)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast