Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 441 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 216 266 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 11013

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Also, I accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread.

I started this thread 4 years ago?

What the fuck ...

Where has my life gone...

#existential
    Next year will make it 10 years since we met at DT.net. Initiate mind-blowing sequence now.

James, I will add that to my queue now.

Matt, see the Movie Thread. I posted James Franco's full scene in the bedroom. Love that whole scene. Franco really was awesome in that film.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah it was definitely an entertaining movie it was just a nice mix of stylistic entertainment and art house filmmaking...it just lacked the arthouse point for existing lol.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yeah it was definitely an entertaining movie it was just a nice mix of stylistic entertainment and art house filmmaking...it just lacked the arthouse point for existing lol.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. There are some pretty heavy underlying themes in the film that I didn't quite catch while viewing. Just Google it. There are tons of theories. Here's an interesting one.

http://imgur.com/a/AQGDC

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two films I recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed: "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" and "Odd Thomas". I give them both a 10.....okay, a 9 since only B.A.P.S gets a 10

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. There are some pretty heavy underlying themes in the film that I didn't quite catch while viewing. Just Google it. There are tons of theories. Here's an interesting one.

http://imgur.com/a/AQGDC
    That seems like a case of someone looking too deep into a movie. If there were any oblique religious themes the character of Faith would have been a more predominant character who battles with the forces of good and evil. I don't see how God can be presented as a criminal intent on murdering people, even people he calls a friend because he feels threatened. And Alien is far to nice of a guy really to have been the devil, unless the religious theme is that the devil is misrepresented and God is the real evil being.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Two films I recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed: "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" and "Odd Thomas". I give them both a 10.....okay, a 9 since only B.A.P.S gets a 10
    How the heck did you manage to see Odd Thomas? Last I heard it's stuck in post due to a pending lawsuit regarding its marketing. (My mom's been waiting forever to see it.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Escape Plan.... Was waaaay better than I thought!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    How the heck did you manage to see Odd Thomas? Last I heard it's stuck in post due to a pending lawsuit regarding its marketing. (My mom's been waiting forever to see it.)
    I thought the same thing because I saw an Odd Thomas trailer pop up on IMDB today. I looked into it and I guess the film was shown at festivals last April. That means it's probably been floating around the internet for a while. I also read you can buy DVD's online.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Amber and I saw Odd Thomas a few days ago, we gave it a four out of five. Much better than expected!

Regarding Springbreakers ... Very strange movie. Strange as in ... I'm not sure if I liked it or didn't like it. I think I ended up giving it a three out of five. I think the SCENES themselves were great, but the movie as a whole seemed a little ... off.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Oh fuck me now I'm really intrigued.
    bears' reaction exactly

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mike would I like it? You're review is making me want to stay away from his remaining films now

And I would second DD recommendation for Berbian Sound Studio. Watched it recently and it was quite a treat. Great little horror, if you even want to classify it as such. Very different from the films that are currently being put out today.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DirecTV on demand

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Mike would I like it? You're review is making me want to stay away from his remaining films now

And I would second DD recommendation for Berbian Sound Studio. Watched it recently and it was quite a treat. Great little horror, if you even want to classify it as such. Very different from the films that are currently being put out today.
    Umm, boy. I'm really not sure. I would lean toward no. You didn't like American Hustle, and I Heart Huckabees isn't even in the same universe as that movie. Then again, maybe that means you would like it. They are two completely different films. Huckabees kind of had a Wes Anderson feel to it. It's more than just the fact that it starred Jason Schwartzman too. It was just the feel of the film. It's quirky. I know that can sometimes be a bad word.

It's like when somebody describes their friend as "quirky'" or "interesting" it's certainly not the worst way to be described as a person, but it's certainly not a compliment either.

You're on your own on this one, Heather. It has a great cast and you'd probably enjoy it just for that.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DirecTV on demand
    I just checked and it's on Comcast, too. Thanks! Mom'll be happy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

DirecTV on demand
    I just checked and it's on Comcast, too. Thanks! Mom'll be happy.
    Video On Demand? Nice. I wish more movies with limited releases would do that.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I Heart Huckabees is best described by Roger Ebert: "I Heart Huckabees may be the first movie in history that doesn't require and audience to be between the projector and the screen." I love the film though and it's much better on a second watch through when you actually know what to expect.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I Heart Huckabees is best described by Roger Ebert: "I Heart Huckabees may be the first movie in history that doesn't require and audience to be between the projector and the screen." I love the film though and it's much better on a second watch through when you actually know what to expect.
    I remember you or somebody else posting that quote. It's spot on too. I could see Huckabees being the kind of film that needs to be seen twice. Kind of like The Big Lebowski. Although I doubt Huckabees would become so beloved after I watched it again, which is what happened with Lebowski.

Country
    Country Flag

Blue Jasmine

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his personal life, it’s remarkable that Woody Allen, now seventy eight, still manages to churn out quality films year after year. Blue Jasmine is Allen’s newest offering, and it doesn’t disappoint.

Cate Blanchett plays Jasmine who, after her millionaire husband, Hal (Alec Baldwin), is arrested for fraud, loses her lush lifestyle in New York and reluctantly moves in with her sister in San Francisco. Though, she doesn’t just lose her money. She loses her status. (And, later, her mind. Shortly after her husband’s arrest, Jasmine is found wandering the streets talking to herself.)

Jasmine is self-absorbed, but also kind of pathetic in a way because she’s always had someone to provide for her and when that’s taken away from her, she’s helpless. As the audience, we’re constantly switching back and forth between pitying the child-like woman who legitimately (it seems) doesn’t know how to live without her husband and the wealth, material goods, and comfortable lifestyle that he provided, and the classist who, at least a little bit, deserves her current situation.

As the film progresses and Jasmine finds herself in situations with different people, you never really know where the film—or its characters—is headed. And that’s part of the fun. Like his 2011 Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine’s screenplay is a smart mix of character-driven drama and comedic dialogue.

Though the film’s supporting characters account for many of the comedic scenes, it’s Jasmine herself that is the main source because we get the feeling that she’s not one hundred percent aware of how outrageous some of the things coming out of her mouth are. Following an exhaustive party, as she soaks in a bubble bath, Jasmine insists that she needs to take the next day off: a day off from shopping and yoga and pilates. She needs a vacation from vacation. In scenes like these, it’s easy to forget that Blanchett is acting, because she becomes Jasmine. Her face, her mannerisms, her body language are so transformed that for an hour and a half, you’re watching Jasmine—in all her delusional glory—not Blanchett.

Part of what makes Blue Jasmine work so well is its supporting characters. Ranging from husband Hal, to Jasmine’s adopted sister, Ginger (who insists that Jasmine “got the good genes,” and whose working middle-class lifestyle appalls Jasmine) and her good-hearted husband, Augie, each character is delicately crafted into their own person and is not only completely memorable, but serves to provide insight into Jasmine’s character.

The film’s narrative is a balance of the present and flashbacks from Jasmine’s life pre-crisis. Though the flashbacks are engaging and offer further enlightenment into the film’s characters, there’s a certain degree of choppiness in how the film switches back and forth between past and present. At times early in the film, I wasn’t completely aware that it was flashing back. However, the transitions become increasingly smoother and more identifiable as the film progresses.

While Jasmine clearly believes (or tells herself that she does, at least) that she’s not to blame for her unfortunate reversal of fortune, in the end the film makes us question if she’s inherently self-centered and delusional, or merely a product of her environment (and, by extension, society). And as much as the film paints Jasmine as a sympathetic character who we want to see free herself from the deep
    hole she’s fallen into, we also get the sense that she’s made her bed; now she has to lie in it.

9/10
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched Homefront and Gravity.... both excellent movies!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, fantastic review! That being said, your review pisses me off because it makes me want to see Blue Jasmine now.

I wasn't planning on seeing it (not any time soon at least), but now I almost have to. Kudos.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it five stars Michael....should be enough for you! Lol

John F. Kennedy KatetOfNineteen will become famous soon enough KatetOfNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw The LEGO Movie yesterday, and I must say even though it was partly stupid at times I really really enjoyed it! I'd give it a 4.75/5. It was overall a hilarious movie, and was suspenseful for a kids' movie. My 5 year old loved it of course, but it was just as much an adult movie because everyone grew up with legos and superheroes.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it five stars Michael....should be enough for you! Lol
    Your score initially made me think I should give it a shot. I had zero interest before that.

Here's why Ricky's review made me decide to see it though, Ricky and I were talking about how he's never really seen most of Allen's films. I kind of put myself in that category too. Judging from that, it means I might like it. I think you were more of a fan of his work than Ricky was.

Kate, I can't wait to see the Lego Movie. I might go with my Godson. Also, I still play with Legos. 8)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to watch Blue Jasming too. Cate Blanchett is a great actress and the premise sounds right up my alley.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Ricky, fantastic review! That being said, your review pisses me off because it makes me want to see Blue Jasmine now.

I wasn't planning on seeing it (not any time soon at least), but now I almost have to. Kudos.
    Thanks, Mike! Much appreciated.

I hadn't heard of it before Cate's nomination (and really didn't plan on seeing it), but I loved it. I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts when you see it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 441 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 216 266 ... LastLast