Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 387 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Default Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Hi all,

I've got to do the hard thing and sell my Centipede Salem's Lot Deluxe (Roman Numerald, not Lettered) edition. We just had a baby, and my wife is quitting her job to stay at home with the kids- daycare costs are hell, as I'm sure a lot of you know!

Anyhow, any opinions on terms of value? This is a tough one, as the market is down right now (at least on Ebay), but considering there hasn't been a copy of this offered since the week it came out (Ebay: $7,500.00), it's extremely hard to determine current market value. Obviously, I'm looking for "top value", whatever that may be.

I'm considering going the consignment route, via the new "Horror Mall", rather than Ebay, but wanted to ask the well-informed folks here what they think.

Ron

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Hi all,

I've got to do the hard thing and sell my Centipede Salem's Lot Deluxe (Roman Numerald, not Lettered) edition. We just had a baby, and my wife is quitting her job to stay at home with the kids- daycare costs are hell, as I'm sure a lot of you know!

Anyhow, any opinions on terms of value? This is a tough one, as the market is down right now (at least on Ebay), but considering there hasn't been a copy of this offered since the week it came out (Ebay: $7,500.00), it's extremely hard to determine current market value. Obviously, I'm looking for "top value", whatever that may be.

I'm considering going the consignment route, via the new "Horror Mall", rather than Ebay, but wanted to ask the well-informed folks here what they think.

Ron
    I don't think it would sell for $7500, but def. a lot all the same...I've seen a few lettereds show up since the issue, though, but I can't remember what they sell for...

You should list it with a low starting bid but a high reserve (maybe $4500 or so) and see what happens...at least that way you'll get an idea for the market.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a "red" Roman numeral or a "black" Roman numeral?

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Rahfa: I'd be curious to know what the other copies you saw sell sold for. I've been keeping my eyes peeled, and since that first $7500 copy- nothing, really. There was another on Ebay months later that got pulled, and there was that special copy on ABE with all the publisher's extras for some insane amount- maybe Bob (Bob- you're here!) would remember that one.

In any case, I'm looking for a lot more than $4500... even more than the $7500, considering there just hasn't been a copy offered anywhere in the years since. There's gotta be somebody out there waiting for a copy to come on the market.

Bob: Black numeraled, And Welcome over here!

Ron

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be very suprised if you received more than 5K. The people who had the money and desire to pay that price already have the book and I doubt any want two. Hopefully you do, but it is (IMO) unlikely.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

You could also list it at the BIN price you'd like for it and accept offers. If you get 3 offers for around $5K, then it's more likely the price people are willing to pay for it.

Bob, it's nice to see you here.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually traded for my copy with Ceri (Calla_Wolf) in May 2005. I traded him straight up his Roman numeral (black) III for:

A PC S/L DT II and unmatched set DT III-VII.

In my collection "spreadsheet," I have been using a current market value of $4,750. I would be surprised to see you get more than $5,000 for your copy, especially if you need the $$ sooner rather than later.

I think Juliana's idea is great of using a higher BIN price but also see what is offered under a Best Offer scenario.

****A BIG BIG WELCOME TO BOB! What took you so long, man!****

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Bob!!! We missed you!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Relaxed

Yeah, you guys are probably right. The market is just too soft right now. I think I might put it away for awhile, and sell (A LOT!) of other stuff to get to where I need to be.

My reasoning is- trying to be as objective as possible- that this is one of the rarest & NICEST King limiteds ever produced. I guess the only comparison is the asbestos Firestarter, and, objectively- whether I had a copy or not- the Salem's Lot wins hands down. It is rarer (by at least one copy, including all the pc copies- does anybody know how many "pc" copies of the Firestarter there are?), absolutely smokes it (parden the pun) in terms of beauty & craftsmanship, and as far as I can tell- a copy hasn't really come to market (except for the one on ebay) since it was issued four years ago.

I know "collectors" groan when I mention stuff like this, but there is also the matter of the actual novel itself: while Firestarter is a good read, Salem's Lot is arguably not only one of King's 2 or 3 best books, it's also a bona fide modern classic. I know this doesn't matter to most King collectors, but I mantain it should, damnit!

If I sold it, and then came into some money later down the road- It would be the first thing I'd buy again. The (let's face it-downright ugly!) asbestos Firestarter would be waaaaay down my list. But maybe that's just me.

I hope that doesn't come off wrong just because I was lucky enough to get a copy. I'm more of a reader-bibliophile, than a collector, I guess, and I really look for quality of form AND content when considering spending a lot of money on a book.

But all that means nothing in terms of current market "value", I know.

Ron

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ron, I agree with you that the content of the book does affect the price somewhat. Look at the limited editions of The Stand. Those, I believe because of the book itself, have held their value quite nicely. Of course, the production values of the edition have helped too.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

does anybody know how many "pc" copies of the Firestarter there are
    Ron
    I am not aware of any PC's of the asbestos Firestarter.
    Rumour has it that one of the 26 was destroyed in a (no kidding) fire.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Ron, I agree with you that the content of the book does affect the price somewhat. Look at the limited editions of The Stand. Those, I believe because of the book itself, have held their value quite nicely. Of course, the production values of the edition have helped too.

John
    i saw two of these sell the first week after issued... the first one ( the red version) sold for 9600.00; the second one (which i believe you guys are talking about) a black numerated one sold for 7675.00.
    i've not seen one auctioned since (though i very likely might have missed seeing)

personally, my red numbered one.... wouldn't take less than 7500.00.... but then i don't plan to sell it.
    realistically, with the market down... finding the right person with the cash in hand... 7500.00 might not happen... but i wouldn't even think of letting it go for under 5000.00 unless you're just desperate for the cash. i think the market will bounce back and the rarity of these, plus the incredible quality of them, they will bring much higher prices in the somewhat distant future.
    true, i might be prejudiced/hopeful since i own one... but since i never plan to sell mine, it's all peanut shells to me.
    the thing is... like the firestarter lettered... since almost all these are in the hands of hardcore collectors (like me) now, i think they will only show up on the market once or twice a decade - if that... when someone dies or has a severe king collector meltdown .

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

ps. if you sell it for less than four grand ...email me, you have a buyer

...hmmm, guess that sets the minimum current value.... huh

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Wish i had the money. I'd love to have one. I have a numbered edition, couldn't afford the lettered when it came out.
    Congrats on the baby (i also have one on the way, Due May 20). So i know how you feel, i have been selling off lots of stuff also. Extra copies, ones that don't mean much to me, and anything else !!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Think I'm going to hang on to it, and figure something else out. Additionally (and "possibly" adding to this books "value"), is the chance that Centipede will get to produce the long-delayed [edited for "sworn-to-secrecy" reasons] limited that they have had ready (with original J.K. Potter illos!), and owners of Salem's Lot, get first priority.

Ron

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats on your baby nameless...they are a wonderful thing
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, they are. Even better than an awesome book!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, they are. Even better than an awesome book!
    personally, i'd take an awesome book any day... but that's just the opinion of a confirmed 48 year "old man" cranky bachelor with 2 dogs for kids speaking.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hmmm...
    wtf is that edition?
    what is so particular to this one?

any picture somewhere? :s

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    hmmm...
    wtf is that edition?
    what is so particular to this one?

any picture somewhere? :s

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

for comparison to the limited stand:

My Mood
    Relaxed

Sorry, missed that about your baby coming namelessnpoor- major congrats! Great books are wonderful- kids even more so! (and, awkwardly, sorry for thanking Matt for congratulating YOU on your baby).

Sir Boomme: Even though I wouldn't trade my rugrats for nice books, it doesn't mean I don't envy you just a little bit ; )

Ron

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weeeeeellll !

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Congrats on your baby nameless...they are a wonderful thing
    Yeah, the first 30 years are the worse

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah they are.

Man, should these books be making me hotter than women?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 387 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast