Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Office - Dunder Mifflin Infinity

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think what really makes it work is the way its done. It's funny, but considering what we got with the first 2 series and even for the first xmas special, as Brent continued to sink lower and lower just for fame, a happy ending was the last thing that could be expected. But I think it was handled with just the right amount of care to make it truly fit and not seem like a cop-out, as it so very, very easily could have done.

And you know last night how I was planning to rewatch those specials next week? Yeah, being reminded of how awesome they were has forced me to make a change of plan!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watched the xmas special again on monday, still SO good! Definitely one of the greatest finales to a tv series ever!

Btw, just to get some discussion going: has anyone here not seen the original version, yet? Any plans to see it at all? And fans of the US version who saw it second, how'd you rate it? Fans of the original who saw the US version later, what were your thoughts?

Here's a link to the first ep for convenience, anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7UrvGg65Lw

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw a few ep's of the original ... didn't really like it to be honest. Gervais is great as usual, but I wasn't feeling the rest of the supporting cast. Gervais can't carry the show by himself.

The US cast is much, much better for my money. All of them have managed to crack me up at some point throughout the series.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed. I watched a few episodes but couldn't get into it. The US cast is great. They all work so well together, and they all have their little quirks.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

See, I have the exact opposite view. To me, the original actors are much, much more subtle. Particularly the romance between Tim and Dawn. I like Jim and Pam, but with the supporting cast of the original, it's always clear that they're aware that there's a camera on them. That's why I greatly prefer the original. The remake is a nice little sitcom with some memorable characters, but you can't really watch the original in such a way. It's a lot darker than that. It's the kind of show that walks the fine line between comedy and tragedy, at times. My recommendation: watch it again, but avoid thinking of it as a sitcom.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I wasn't really looking for subtle, or tragic ... I started watching it on netflix because I was on the market for something balls out funny. And I actually like the 'I know I'm on camera' aspect, a lot of Jim and Michael's style of comedy is contingent on there being an audience, and that suits me just fine.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That's exactly why I'm suggesting to watch it again. You go in expecting something obviously balls out funny, then you're unprepared for it. Like Blade Runner: first time I watched it, I really didn't like it, as I was expecting something full of action and fast paced. I mean for fuck's sake, the clue's in the fucking name: Blade Runner! So I was dissapointed I didn't get that. Of course now, it's easily one of my favourite scifi films. The original Office, I do find hilarious at a lot of moments, but it does go for total realism. For the longest time, no one watched it, because they thought it was a real documentary.

As for the remake, the characters only seem to acknowledge the camera at select moments, and mostly at comedic ones. Not 100% of the time, like the original. Remember: it's as much as what characters don't say as much as what they do say. Try and watch it differently, not as a balls-out comedy, and you may enjoy it more.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have little to no desire to go back to it, to be honest. Too many quality shows on the waiting deck. Unless you want me to replace Who with The Office? then we'll talk

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Come on: it's hardly like you're watching either! Speaking of which: I'm still waiting for your reviews on another favourite of mine!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I just answered your question in the other thread haha.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One reason why The Office (original) is one of the best tv shows ever:

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I haven't given the show a fair chance, but based on that video it's just not doing anything for me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, maybe it does need to be taken in context, but it's a spot on parody of how, whenever someone thinks they're "famous" because they appeared in some kind of documentary, they ALWAYS do a shit cover of a classic song, and it ALWAYS fails to make an impression in the charts. It's just so perfectly done. That's another thing the original has over the remake: eventually getting round to exploring what being filmed and watched by a number of viewers has on the characters. With the remake, it's 8 years now, and we're still supposed to believe it's a documentary no one watches?

Oh, and Brice? Start watching the original now.

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

But...then you'd be deprived of my presence.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's 14 eps mate, altogether. We won't be deprived for long.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but I know how painful even one second without me is for y'all.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, but if you did watch it, I could be persuaded to give Carnivale another go and watch the second season.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I just watched the first ep so get busy then.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Excellent! I'll look for it straight away! Hopefully, I'll like the 2nd season more than the first.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, I just watched the first ep so get busy then.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Excellent! I'll look for it straight away! Hopefully, I'll like the 2nd season more than the first.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I'm not really sure what I think of it. I'll definitely have to watch more. I wasn't exactly expecting a sitcom, but it's sort of strange.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Honestly, I'm not really sure what I think of it. I'll definitely have to watch more. I wasn't exactly expecting a sitcom, but it's sort of strange.
    Not knowing what to think isn't too bad. Just makes it easier to accept it as something unique rather than something it's not or doesn't really try to be, as is often the case.

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have watched the first ep

I liked the idea and the actors, loved the dialog, and hated the rest. Don't know how long I will be able to look at this kind of picture; was brutally reminded of why I generally don't watch TV.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, really Jean? That's a shame. Felt certain you would've enjoyed it, both as a fan of British comedy and how subtle and multilayered it is.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

To me it just has this weird intended/unintended? voyeuristic/uncomfortable/claustrophobic feel to it. I mean I think it's partly intentional, but I think it also picked up some of that unintentionally that the makers never really originally intended. It's a very weird little show.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast