Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 105 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoy the older stuff sometime too, as a new collector who has missed out on some now harder to find first editions. I also enjoy the books (or series of books) with additional material that make the these S/Ls of older books even more desirable. For example the Collected Robert Siverberg series has a page to page and a half new introduction by the author to each and every story, it adds a lot to the book in my opinion. Or the "definitive" reprints of Thomas Ligotti's books. Or the extra novella in the recent McCammon. Hopefully this new series of his books will be something like that. Stuff like that I tend to enjoy a bit more than the typical S/L. Some of the S/Ls for the newer books I've purchased seem to be identical reprints of the trade edition with a signature page attached. While I'll still buy these for my favorite authors, I am a little bit disappointed each time.

Congrats on the proof win!

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I like to collect books that impacted me growing up when I read them....

I took some snapshots of one of my non-king bookcases ........

1st/1st Gor books...couple of extra magicians of gor as backups and a 1st Fountainhead

More extra 1st/1st Gor books (and a couple of more magicians...i'm sick....i know....) and Piers Anthony HB's and a set (with matching publishers awesome slipcase) of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series from when I was REALLY young.

Anthony Xanth set, Varley, Gibson, ohhhh L'Engle..Wrinkle in Time...classic book I read when I was in 2nd grade...or maybe 3rd? It haunted me for years....hahaha!

Limited and signed Clive Barker and Donaldson in the background....

David Lynch signed thingies and Stand by Me DVD signed by .....Will Wheaton...oh yeah...go to Comicon where he is for star trek and then my girl does ninja move for him to sign the DVD...GOOD GIRL!!! The White Mountains series was a classic, Burroughs collection and a 1st Tarzan of the Apes

Also Joe Hill. Here is some pretty signed / limited cool stuff....also have a couple of the 1st/1st Better than Home chapbooks....not sure where they are at the moment....

***You can blow them up really huge if you want by double clicking and then clicking on the + sign on the pic host site.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

"THE HELLFIRE CLUB might also be a good first choice. It's one from Peter's "middle" period of his career. Lots of action (IIRC), a great villain in Dick Dart, and a real page turner."

Well I'm halfway through The Hellfire Club by Straub and I must say it is a real page turner, moves like a express train as King says.
    Love the villan Dick Dart, a very controlling and brutal character.
    SPOILER... Nora has just escaped from Dart after watchig him perform a gruesome autopsy on Sheldon Dolkis ( a sex toy salesman ) in a motel room.
    I'm really enjoying this book, thanks for the recommendation Bob.........
    Brian......

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations with the proof of THE FIVE, Bob

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another new James Herbert Limited from Centipede Press. This one's The Dark and will be as handsome as the previous two I'm sure. I just ordered one.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great. I've got one on the way too.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Do you still collect all Centipede books, Bob (I think I remember reading that in your collection thread)? They sure look good.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Do you still collect all Centipede books, Bob (I think I remember reading that in your collection thread)? They sure look good.
    Yes, I have them all so far. I've really enjoyed reading them too. Lots of authors I've never read.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CurtSeattle~

You mentioned up-thread about a 1st "Fountainhead". Am I looking for the wrong book or did I not see it in your photo? Can you post some (photos, I mean)?

Thx
    Dick
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Dolso, sure. It is on the far right of the picture with the Gor series. You can only barely see it. I think it's a first. I've had it so long (since high school when I through my Ayn Rand stage) that I haven't looked at it for years. I will snap some photos later. No problem.

East-tennessee, I picked up the Hellfire Club today since you said it was good. Also found a couple of SIGNED Terry Brooks Shannara books for about $3 each only!!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone collect Clark Ashton Smith? I recently purchased volumes 2-5 of "The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith" on sale from Night Shade Books. I'm having a hard time tracking down a reasonably priced copy of volume 1 (The End of the Story), though. They seem pretty pricey for a relatively new trade edition book of an unspecified print run.

Anyone have an extra copy or know where to pick one up?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Smith's Arkham House books, but I eventually sold my entire Arkham House collection. The way he used words and images was/is fantastic!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Here you go. The Fountainhead pic

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i have that book 'Hellfire Club" by "Peter Straub" but i've just never read it. i can't remember if it was a gift or if i picked it up somewhere? i just haven't gotten around to reading it. i have the paperback of it

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I loved Smith's Arkham House books, but I eventually sold my entire Arkham House collection. The way he used words and images was/is fantastic!

John
    He does have quite amazing prose! Did you have ALL the Arkham books?!?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

All but a very few. I sold the collection for some nice $.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Wow... I bet. That collection must have been a sight to behold.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    Does anyone collect Clark Ashton Smith? I recently purchased volumes 2-5 of "The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith" on sale from Night Shade Books.
    I used to read CAS, back in my teens, but other authors somehow replaced him.
    But, I do think I'm going to check out the Collected Fantasies you mention.

sk

NiCoLaI herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I both love and hate the time between when I find a new unknown article and the time i recieve it... (not King related)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=carlosdetweiller;589141]
    Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    I'm not a big fan of these specialty presses and publishers doing S/Ls of older books. I don't know why but it just seems wrong to me. I especially find these "anniversary" S/Ls to be nothing but money grabs. Things like the 10 year anniversary GREEN MILE S/L and DARK FORCES 25th anniversary and on and on seem unnecessary and mercenary. I say give us something fresh and new and quit republishing stuff over and over.
    I don't mind specialty presses doing a Limited of an older book, especially if it's only been released in paperback format, as I always prefer a hardcover. But one thing that does bug me is when small press does a Limited Edition of a book that has already had a Limited Edition previously done. This just frustrates me to no end.
    Geoff

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Cutter;589809]
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    I'm not a big fan of these specialty presses and publishers doing S/Ls of older books. I don't know why but it just seems wrong to me. I especially find these "anniversary" S/Ls to be nothing but money grabs. Things like the 10 year anniversary GREEN MILE S/L and DARK FORCES 25th anniversary and on and on seem unnecessary and mercenary. I say give us something fresh and new and quit republishing stuff over and over.
    I don't mind specialty presses doing a Limited of an older book, especially if it's only been released in paperback format, as I always prefer a hardcover. But one thing that does bug me is when small press does a Limited Edition of a book that has already had a Limited Edition previously done. This just frustrates me to no end.
    I'd think that it would be more the authors decision whether to do a S/L (or 2..or 3) of an older book than the specialty press's decision. or is that not correct??
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Does anyone collect Clark Ashton Smith? I recently purchased volumes 2-5 of "The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith" on sale from Night Shade Books.
    I used to read CAS, back in my teens, but other authors somehow replaced him.
    But, I do think I'm going to check out the Collected Fantasies you mention.
    If you are going to purchase all five volumes at once (advisable, as since I typed my original post, Vol. 02 went out of print as well) I'd recommended buying from Camelot Books who will sell you the whole set at retail price. Tell Kim I sent you and that I'm now jealous of your volume one! Ignore the note in the link that Vol. 5 has not been published yet. It has, they just have not updated their listing.

Also, a Volume 6 of CAS miscellany is coming out at the end of the year.

Edited to add the link to the catalog entry to the volume set.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow... I bet. That collection must have been a sight to behold.
    I think right now I'm the most active Arkham collector on TDT.org. I've got most of the Arkahms from The Outsider and Others up through the early '80s. Some real treasures in there (Beyond the Wall of Sleep, A Hornbook for Witches, Out of Space and Time [CAS], The Dark Chateau [CAS], Spells and Philtres [CAS], Always Comes Evening, Dark Carnival,...)

I have a photo of my Arkham bookcase in my collections thread, if you are interested, but have not yet gotten around to giving this collection the full photo/documentation treatment as I have done with my King books. One of those things on my "to do" list.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

You mean you have all those H.P. Lovecraft Arkham House books? Those are worth a small fortune. Don't let Cthulhu know because he, she, IT? hasn't read them all yet and may want to borrow them, and it's hell getting that slime off the pages!

The only Arkham house books I have are two copies of THE OPENER OF THE WAY by Robert Bloch, and
    BORN TO EXILE by Phyllis Eisenstein.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy of Harlan Ellison's The Essential Ellison recently. I really wanted a copy of the 50 year retrospective, but a signed copy of the 35 year showed up on ebay for $9.99 so I snagged it. Of course, the day after I won the 35 year a copy of the 50 year showed up, also signed. I got that one for $55. I think I'm set.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 105 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast