Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Probably true, although that wasn't the case at the time...I think Danse was his first limited edition, actually, from 1979. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Firestarter was first in 1980. Then Cujo (1981) then Danse Macabre (1981).

John
    Wow. John is fast.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Haha....thought the same thing...I try to avoid making declarative statements about dates like that unless I'm absolutely sure...haha...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not yet own a copy, yet the S/L of DANSE MACABRE seem to always be offered at prices that are too high to be of interest to me. I guess in that regard, I agree with Bill.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    Oh! I almost forgot this one. I feel bad for any Bradbury fans. The text of the heavily illustrated Fall of the House of Usher by Poe and Usher II by Bradburdy, (an S/L collection) is done entirely in the F*CKING font COMIC SANS. Which I'm pretty sure automatically qualifies it as the worst S/L in history.

Thank you Gauntlet Press, for making my eyes bleed.

ETA: It also has the most home-made-y photoshop-y graphic art disaster that has ever been perpetrated on a cover.
    Don't be surprised if the Illustrated Masques has the same font, as it's a similar in style book.

My worst goes to Subterranean Press for any Ray Bradbury Lettered Edition that cost $750. It's the same book as the limited edition but with a fake leather binding and about an extra 5-10 pages of bonus content. I can honestly say I almost cried when I received the books after paying so much money and received so little of a difference between the Lettered and Limited. And then I did it again and bought another Bradbury Lettered for $750 and again it was a limited in fake leather but $700 more. Biggest rip offs in my book buying career. This is a prime example of publisher greed. Charge more because of the author but do not utilize that elevated cost in book materials - take the money and run
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Transgression S/L is a pretty mundane presentation, although at $200 it wasn't a ripoff.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Don't be surprised if the Illustrated Masques has the same font, as it's a similar in style book.

My worst goes to Subterranean Press for any Ray Bradbury Lettered Edition that cost $750. It's the same book as the limited edition but with a fake leather binding and about an extra 5-10 pages of bonus content. I can honestly say I almost cried when I received the books after paying so much money and received so little of a difference between the Lettered and Limited. And then I did it again and bought another Bradbury Lettered for $750 and again it was a limited in fake leather but $700 more. Biggest rip offs in my book buying career. This is a prime example of publisher greed. Charge more because of the author but do not utilize that elevated cost in book materials - take the money and run
    I love SubPress for their selection of books. No other small press publishes anything close to SP's selection for stuff I actually want to read. That and Bill has always taken care of me with excellent customer service, despite my often unusual requests.

That being said, their limiteds have gotten a bit formulaic of late and with the exception of the traycase, their lettereds are almost always identical to the numbered. Unfortunately, the prices are often based on the popularity of the author as well. As you mentioned, Bradbury. Also Gaiman, Stephenson and others. But that, I suppose is not entirely surprising... higher demand = higher prices. Though as you mention, for $700 more, I'd expect a top of the line production.

On the other third? hand, their volume growth has been incredible in the last years also. One can hardly call them small press any longer. I think I remember a newsletter saying that they had published somewhere around 100 books last year with more expected this year. It's hardly surprising they've gotten formulaic.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post

I love SubPress for their selection of books. No other small press publishes anything close to SP's selection for stuff I actually want to read. That and Bill has always taken care of me with excellent customer service, despite my often unusual requests.

That being said, their limiteds have gotten a bit formulaic of late and with the exception of the traycase, their lettereds are almost always identical to the numbered. Unfortunately, the prices are often based on the popularity of the author as well. As you mentioned, Bradbury. Also Gaiman, Stephenson and others. But that, I suppose is not entirely surprising... higher demand = higher prices. Though as you mention, for $700 more, I'd expect a top of the line production.

On the other third? hand, their volume growth has been incredible in the last years also. One can hardly call them small press any longer. I think I remember a newsletter saying that they had published somewhere around 100 books last year with more expected this year. It's hardly surprising they've gotten formulaic.
    On the secondary market yes. I find it disgraceful the way publishers inflate prices simply because they know they have a market for those authors. If you want to make a great looking book then go for it (you'll still pocket a ton more profit than on a normal title) but don't just jack up the price because you know you can get away with it.

Look at the production values of this book: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brian-Keene-DARKN...item56364373a6 - its nicer than 90% of the lettered editions that are being produced and it retailed for $175. The publisher is one of the best businessmen I know, so I can guarantee that there was room for a worthwhile profit at that price too. So at $750 SubPress could at least make a nice book that wouldn't make their customers feel violated.

Hell, even CD - everyone's old whipping boy makes an effort. They charge almost twice as much for King books compared to their normal titles, but they at least make them worthwhile with the addition of the slipcase.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Look at the production values of this book: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brian-Keene-DARKN...item56364373a6 - its nicer than 90% of the lettered editions that are being produced and it retailed for $175. The publisher is one of the best businessmen I know, so I can guarantee that there was room for a worthwhile profit at that price too. So at $750 SubPress could at least make a nice book that wouldn't make their customers feel violated.
    Yea Eric I own both books, the Keene book's material are about a 100 times nicer, and with the more expensive materials than the materials used with the Bradbury books. And to top it off I saw Bob's two Simmons Lettered Editions of the Terror and Drood and they were beautiful. Why Sub Press decided that it was ok to use expensive materials for Dan Simmons and not with Ray Bradbury is confusing. Also add to the fact the Bradbury copies were $250 more than the Simmons books makes you wonder why they couldn't aford to make a better book.

btw, the two books were Farewell Summer and I Sing the Body Electric. Go with the limited Editions on these.

@thegreattim - I agree, I stopped calling them a small publisher a few years back when I noticed in Locus Magazine that their annual output of books was more than some large publishers in New York. And their hectic pacing and amount of books that come out do make the books formulaic. But they do make exceptions at times as noted above.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I might as well put in a vote for worst King Limited Edition. As for the ones I own (No I did not buy the pop-up book) it would have to be Cujo. I actually like it on the shelf, but they took the Trade Edition and put cloth boards on it with a signature sheet and slipcase and that was it. Having the same book block as the trade edition is awful!
    Geoff

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I might as well put in a vote for worst King Limited Edition. As for the ones I own (No I did not buy the pop-up book) it would have to be Cujo. I actually like it on the shelf, but they took the Trade Edition and put cloth boards on it with a signature sheet and slipcase and that was it. Having the same book block as the trade edition is awful!
    Well, how can I say this? I'll try but it may come across wrong:

Publishing companies like Cemetery Dance, Donald Grant, etc. have truly raised the bar on what a limited edition is today. You can easily look back on an older Cujo and say blah, why so plain? But when I got my copy in the 80's, I said WOW! Why? Because I didn't know a limited could get any better. Again, this probably is coming out wrong, but I won't compare what we expect and have today to what we had in the 80's.

And I'll say this (and it looks like I'm the only one..haha)...I like my TGWLTG signed limited. When guest visit my closet they take notice of all the books but two always get questions, Salem's Lot S/L & TGWLTG S/L.

Mulleins

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you, Ralph. Even though I was not collecting books back in the 80's or 90's, I would imagine that Cujo was pretty awesome looking when it was released. I would have been thrilled to get a copy back then.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As I've stated before, I wasn't THAT impressed by the s/l Cujo even when it first came out.

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

John,

If Cujo had a jacket on it created specifically for the limited, like Whelan did for Firestarter, would you consider it a better S/L? Just curious. Personally, I always thought the gold leaf stamping of the Before Cujo and the After Cujo on the front was very cool. JMO

I think the first limited that truly raised the bar though was The Stand. After that, my expectations starting going up. Yes, Firestarter lettered was nice but honestly I didn't know about it at the time. A friend of mine showed me a picture of his copy and I thought he was joking.

Mulleins

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ralph, you may be right about the Cujo dust jacket. The clear acetate one just did nothing for me. Perhaps if it had a jacket similar to that of Firestarter, I could feel otherwise.

John

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    If Cujo had a jacket on it created specifically for the limited, like Whelan did for Firestarter, would you consider it a better S/L? Just curious. Personally, I always thought the gold leaf stamping of the Before Cujo and the After Cujo on the front was very cool. JMO
    I do like the way Cujo looks on the shelf as I mentioned. I like the stamping, but the paper quality is horrible. It's a book to buy and put on the shelf and never touch again. Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.
    Geoff

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.

sk

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I do like the way Cujo looks on the shelf as I mentioned. I like the stamping, but the paper quality is horrible. It's a book to buy and put on the shelf and never touch again. Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.
    I agree. I don't have many but those I do own have been read several times. If I can't enjoy them I don't see the point in buying them.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only times I don't read my expensive editions is when they become too huge and unwieldy to do so comfortably, so the CD Full Dark will be fare game but there's no way I would sit down with that huge edition of Salems Lot.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    The only times I don't read my expensive editions is when they become too huge and unwieldy to do so comfortably, so the CD Full Dark will be fare game but there's no way I would sit down with that huge edition of Salems Lot.
    You should try it. The heft, the way the pages are design for handling, and the feel of the paper of the Centipede limited make reading 'Salem's Lot a whole new experience.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just wash your hands first so oils from your fingers don't soil the pages.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Large books can also be read sitting at a table with the book lying in front of you.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

READ limited edition books!? No way, I'd much rather buy them for lots of money, crack them open once to verify authenticity, and then put them on my shelf for the rest of eternity.

LOL, it sounds funny, but that's what I do. I'm basically buying really expensive decorations, lol.

Sucks to hear about people not liking Cujo, that's my next S/L I'm buying on the 15th

My vote, should it mean anything, is the Under The Dome S/L (which I'm also buying on the 15th, lol!). I mean, really, not numbered? That just seems wrong!

Shannon

P.S. In regards to Blockade Billy, I like the baseball card signing. It's different, you know? And while different might not always be the best idea ever, different is still different.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the production of the Blockade Billy S/L, i just wasn't a fan of the story which is why i didn't order a copy

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I must say the only reason I ordered a copy of BB was I was so happy I was given the opportunity to. No idea if it is actually hard to be picked for things like that or not, but I got swept up in the hoopla, and since I had the funds at the time, took the plunge.

I'm not a huge fan of the story either, and even considered selling/trading the book towards something i thought I'd like more, but now I have it, I'm glad I didn't as I think the production is AWESOME.

Hmmmm upon reflection, this post doesn't really qualify for "worst S/L ever ay? lol

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Will the S/L 11.22.63 belong in this group?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast