Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have it, but haven't started it yet.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Lullaby, which was my first Palahniuk. I think I put off reading him because I was given the impression he was ultra violent...which, considering most of the stuff I do read it's odd that I feel I don't like it Anyway, I loved it. I thought it was a cleverly spun tale and his narrative is so readable, I started the book in the morning and finished in the evening.

Not sure which one to pick up next, I got this one from the library, but now I know I like him I'll buy them as I read them.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Just finished Lullaby, which was my first Palahniuk. I think I put off reading him because I was given the impression he was ultra violent...which, considering most of the stuff I do read it's odd that I feel I don't like it Anyway, I loved it. I thought it was a cleverly spun tale and his narrative is so readable, I started the book in the morning and finished in the evening.

Not sure which one to pick up next, I got this one from the library, but now I know I like him I'll buy them as I read them.
    Lullaby is my favorite I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's definitely in my top 3.

You might want to try Survivor next. It kind of has the same feel.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

don't they all?

the same feel... the same taste... the same tone... the same wit... the same structure... the same punctuation... the same shape[lessness]... the same everything?...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, come on Jean, tell us how you really feel.

But yes, they do, mostly. That's part of why I like them. When I'm in the mood for that kind of book, I know where to go to find it.

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Pygmy looks interesting, anyone here read it?
    I just read this about a month ago. It was good, but definitely not my favorite Palahniuk. That honor would have to go to Lullaby, with Survivor a close second. I've read Haunted, Fight Club, Choke and Rant as well, and all of them are great, compared to some of the crap I read.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If any Chuck Palahniuk fans out there are interested in acquiring signed copies of his books in various foreign languages, you might want to check out this link sooner rather than later:

http://www.sthelensbookshop.com/chuc...language-books

This store is legit.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If any Chuck Palahniuk fans out there are interested in acquiring signed copies of his books in various foreign languages, you might want to check out this link sooner rather than later:

This store is legit.
    Your link is truncated and doesn't work properly.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

This store is legit.
    Interesting, I never knew they carried foreign editions. Did you pick up a couple?

And I saw on his site that he's got another new book coming out next fall. Sounds interesting.
    So Damned is about an eleven-year old girl who wakes up basically and finds that she is in hell and that she's dead, and that she's going to be eleven-years old and dead in hell for the rest of eternity. So she has to, number one, make friends and figure out how hell works and make the best of it. But she's also got to figure out why she's in hell and how she died, and then ultimately whether or not she wants to petition to go to heaven, to try and uncover some mistake that might have been made. So it's about an eleven-year old, a very optimistic, cheerful, pushy little girl who finds herself in hell.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that sounds really interesting! Can't wait for it!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup the news about Damned came out a while ago, sounds interesting like all Chuck books. I posted a thread about it actually: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...n-Lovely-Bones

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Chris: I hate it when that happens. Here is the corrected link: http://www.sthelensbookshop.com/chuc...language-books

Heather: I bought some signed Spanish editions just for fun.

Heather and Pablo: I never saw that thread either, so thanks for posting it here!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone care to buy a brand new shirt with a Palahniuk and personally signed by the man himself? Four choices...

chuck-palahniuk-signed-t-shirts

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Chuck will have a new short story in the December issue of Playboy.

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/new-c...sue-of-playboy

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the heads up Pablo!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Choke (film). As someone else said, it was just... okay. As far as adaptation, they pretty much used the book as a script. You'd think that'd be marvelous, but it may also be a good lesson to Purists of any book about the don'ts of strict adaptation. Except of course for the ending.

Which brings me to as a movie as itself. Okay, I'm okay with changes from book to film in adaptations. But getting rid of the ending that was in the book, was not a good call imo, and not because "it was in the book, and they changed it, and omg I hate this movie for screwing with the story." No, people like like that make me go crosseyed. The reason why I thought it was a bad call, was because they pretty much foreshadowed that ending or at least something like it in the film itself.

Obviously you know the plot of Choke if you've clicked on this spoiler paragraph. He chokes at restaurants and tries to get saved by rich people, who will then feel obligated to him and give him tons of money on one of his socalled birthdays. Well, at some point in the film, Victor gets on national television to promote his friend's rock gathering cause.

Now what do you think would be the outcome of such an act if all his "saviors" saw him on tv? They'd go, "oh that's the guy I saved his life! I'm going out there to meet him and help his cause... whatever that is!" Then they go out, they meet him, they meet the other "saviors" and "You saved him from choking too? What the hell, Victor? Dude you're sick!" (paraphrasing, it's been some time since I've read the book).

Now, that pretty much happens in the book, but again, if you never read the book, you would likely assume that Victor would end up at some point experiencing the results of showing his face on national television.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Given the choice between Rant, Choke, and Diary, which one would you all recommend? I've only read Survivor, so I was thinking about reading another of his books, but don't know which one to pick.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

choke is a good place to start with his books, diary is one of my least favorite of them and rant is quite good but yeah, choke= good jumping on point
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Ricky do you already have those three? If so I'd go with either Choke or Diary. But if not then I'd highly recommend picking up Lullaby and reading that one next.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I don't have any of those three. I was just looking online and they looked pretty good. I think I'm leaning to Choke. It sounds pretty good!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Ricky do you already have those three? If so I'd go with either Choke or Diary. But if not then I'd highly recommend picking up Lullaby and reading that one next.
    lullaby is an excellant reccomendation, besides haunted, it's probaby my favorite book by him
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/exclu...mix-book-cover
    Several months back we dropped some pretty huge news on you all when it was announced that Invisible Monsters would not only be re-released as a hardcover, but that it would be an updated 'remixed' version of the novel. For those in the know, Monsters is the only book of Chuck's that was never originally released in a hardcover format. That all changes next June 2012 when Norton will release this new version. And today we have an exclusive first look at the cover.

Here are some words behind the team that put this all together:

Norton's Art Director, Ingsu Liu:
    Invisible Monsters is a wild, witty, poignant and exhilarating rocket ride of a read so I was quite excited to see that we'll be publishing the Remix edition with new materials. The author had the fantastic idea of designing the whole book to play off fashion magazines which helps to set the jacket direction.

I had fun packaging the original paperback cover with Rodrigo, it is great fun to do so again here with the Remix edition.

Designer, Rodrigo Corral (http://rodrigocorral.com/):

Invisible Monsters is a fan favorite, as proven by the release of this amazing story in hardcover. The success of his writing is demonstrated by the grotesque imagery brought to mind while reading this book and the cover is a reflection of exactly that. The image I chose is both an expression of how I see the main character as well as how she sees herself. As the entry into the rabbit hole of this book, the cover is meant to give a taste of what's to come.

Official Publication Date: June 11, 2012
    Short copy: For the first time in hardcover, an expanded, radically refashioned "director's cut" of a favorite Chuck Palahniuk novel.

The cover will start appearing online around November. Till then, enjoy!

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Given the choice between Rant, Choke, and Diary, which one would you all recommend? I've only read Survivor, so I was thinking about reading another of his books, but don't know which one to pick.
    Choke is a very easy read, and quite enjoyable.
    If you are listening on audio Rant is the way to go. It was probably one of my favorite audiobook experiences ever.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/exclu...mix-book-cover
    Several months back we dropped some pretty huge news on you all when it was announced that Invisible Monsters would not only be re-released as a hardcover, but that it would be an updated 'remixed' version of the novel. For those in the know, Monsters is the only book of Chuck's that was never originally released in a hardcover format. That all changes next June 2012 when Norton will release this new version. And today we have an exclusive first look at the cover.

Here are some words behind the team that put this all together:

Norton's Art Director, Ingsu Liu:
    Invisible Monsters is a wild, witty, poignant and exhilarating rocket ride of a read so I was quite excited to see that we'll be publishing the Remix edition with new materials. The author had the fantastic idea of designing the whole book to play off fashion magazines which helps to set the jacket direction.

I had fun packaging the original paperback cover with Rodrigo, it is great fun to do so again here with the Remix edition.

Designer, Rodrigo Corral (http://rodrigocorral.com/):

Invisible Monsters is a fan favorite, as proven by the release of this amazing story in hardcover. The success of his writing is demonstrated by the grotesque imagery brought to mind while reading this book and the cover is a reflection of exactly that. The image I chose is both an expression of how I see the main character as well as how she sees herself. As the entry into the rabbit hole of this book, the cover is meant to give a taste of what's to come.

Official Publication Date: June 11, 2012
    Short copy: For the first time in hardcover, an expanded, radically refashioned "director's cut" of a favorite Chuck Palahniuk novel.

The cover will start appearing online around November. Till then, enjoy!
    I didn't enjoy Invisible Monsters enough to buy a hardcover remix. But then, maybe a remix would ... make it better? I don't know. I'm a sucker for all things Chuck so maybe I'll just buy it anyway.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast