Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are the 3 strangest movies you have ever seen ?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I have seen many strange movies (including most of those mentioned). I actively seek them out. I couldn't pick three strangest though.
    Hear, hear. I'll play along, but how could anyone pin down such a thing for good?
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    ...we've all seen different films, and all have a different criteria/measuring stick for what makes a movie 'strange' ...
    For sure. "Strange" can be good, bad, or indifferent. For the sake of conversation, though, here's one of each--

House (Steve Miner, 1986)
    The Dark Backward (Adam Rifkin ,1991)
    Pecker (John Waters, 1998 )

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Will add Inland Empire to my list of DVDs to grab next time I order.

I hope it's not like The French Lieutenant's Woman, because honestly, I hated that movie. Meryl.. please take note, just because you have an accent - that's not acting!!!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Now I MUST see Inland Empire. I doubt the Mullholland Drive on acid thing though. Trust someone who knows.
    Brice you haven't seen it yet!
    All this talk is really making me want to rewatch it now. If netflix still has it up online I just might do that this weekend.

And Woofer, I don't recall it being anything like The French Lieutenant's Woman.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know what? David Lynch sure has a lot of films on this thread. Wonder why that might be?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I know I'm still trying to think of a third, and I was hesitant to put another Lynch film on my list. But no one really does come close to him on the strange factor.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

The first one that comes to mind, and that is the version of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" that had Val Kilmer in it. Imagine flipping through the channels and you hit one with a realistic human-kangaroo thing in the throes of labor. Also, can't forget about that little burned/skinless dwarf-thing. That is truly something to give ya nightmares.

Next up would have to be The Dark Crystal; when I was a kid that movie was like unleaded nightmare fuel. Now I really love it though. Finally, John Carpenter's version of The Thing makes my list, just because of all the crazy stuff--the dog thing, the belly that om-nom'd the guy's hand and the head that sprouted the spider legs. Likewise, I really enjoy this one now as well.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Yeah, the movie is fucked up in WHATEVA version you watch!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I know I'm still trying to think of a third, and I was hesitant to put another Lynch film on my list. But no one really does come close to him on the strange factor.
    Cronenberg?
    Tim Burton?
    The Coens?
    Gilliam?
    Alex Cox?

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Cronenberg?
    Tim Burton?
    The Coens?
    Gilliam?
    Alex Cox?
    Oh, I agree. Cronenberg definitely has some bizarre films, as do some of the others, but I just think Lynch's films are on a whole other strangeness level Maybe it's just because they're so confusing, half the time I have no clue what's going on. Rabbits

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a Cronenberg film on my list (Naked Lunch). While his films are most certainly strange, they follow , albeit very loosely, a structured plot. Lynch's films are just all over the place. Such is the case when you tinker with , amongst other things, the notion of time folding in on itself , a la Inland Empire.

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    El Topo (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970)
    You know when/if they get around to making The Dark Tower movie, I imagine a really good director will pay tons of homage to westerns.

El Topo is one movie I hope the DT movie references. Pretty much cuz it's one of those westerns that's not quite a western or fits in the same lines as one.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Here's an example of what Brice and I mean:

Bijo no harawata (aka Entrails of a Beautiful Woman) (1986)

This is a story about a pretty psychologist (Megumi Ozawa) who is raped, murdered, and dismembered while trying to avenge the suicide of a patient who was raped by a Yakuza gangster. Buried along with the remains of a rival gangster, Ozawa somehow melds with his corpse and comes back from the grave as a hermaphrodite zombie. A bloody and sadistic revenge is ahead.
    The hermaphoditism is a shape-shifting kind of thing where she can wield a ginormous, teethed penis that can eat its way through its rape victim or transmogrify that into a giant, discharge-oozing monstrosity of a vagina that can drown a man with its fluids.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Here's an example of what Brice and I mean:

Bijo no harawata (aka Entrails of a Beautiful Woman) (1986)

This is a story about a pretty psychologist (Megumi Ozawa) who is raped, murdered, and dismembered while trying to avenge the suicide of a patient who was raped by a Yakuza gangster. Buried along with the remains of a rival gangster, Ozawa somehow melds with his corpse and comes back from the grave as a hermaphrodite zombie. A bloody and sadistic revenge is ahead.
    The hermaphoditism is a shape-shifting kind of thing where she can wield a ginormous, teethed penis that can eat its way through its rape victim or transmogrify that into a giant, discharge-oozing monstrosity of a vagina that can drown a man with its fluids.
    Awesome, I MUST see this now.

Update: I've got Inland Empire so I can see how it compares to Mullholland Drive on acid. Unfortunately I can't watch it on acid.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Brice, don't forget to watch it's predecessor Entrails of a Virgin.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default Hahaha!

I see the 2 that came to mind for me have both named already!

The Dark Backward and Naked Lunch were my first two that I thought of.

Also eXistenZ with Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh is a weird one.

Eraserhead is uncomfortably strange...I didn't like this one at all either. shrug

Videodrome with "Blondie" was a strange one.

A Clockwork Orange for Kubrick was a classic

Blue Velvet for David Lynch (and pretty much every other one too by him!)

Brazil was a classic too.

Those are the ones that come to mind.....

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Malice....

that movie had so many red herrings....it was all over the damn place

and it had an entire sub-plot about a killer in it, which wasn't even part of the main storyline...pretty good though
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fire Walk with me - David Lynch. who the fuck is Judy? and why is David Bowie in it?
    Code Unknown - Micheal Haneke
    Far North - Asif Kapadia

I watched Far North last night, it's strange but not because it is inpenetrable but because the ending comes right out of left field i think. I nearly put Cache on put I think it's just me who finds it strange I am not sure what happended in the end?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Woofer: I'll have to see both then.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

There are a few on here that I've got on my list, too. I never saw any of the Twin Peaks stuff (TV or movie) as it wasn't Mr. Woofer's bag. I've seen a lot of other Lynch of course. Just as you can't do William Blake without studying the songs of innocence and experience, you can't do weird movies without watching Lynch (and Cronenberg).

5 pts each:

Long live the new flesh.
    Don't you fucking look at me.
    What job and 'ow much?

Cannibalism? Is it for all carnivores?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Watch Twin Peaks!!!!!

If you rescue me

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watch Twin Peaks!!!!!
    ditto!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

*nods* That gum you like is going to come back in style.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2