Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You find a door...

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti
    Fortunately I don't believe in ka.
    Here's the situation though. You've read the Dark Tower series. Then you find a freestanding door. In that situation, wouldn't ka exists? Actually thinking about it, I guess not necessarily as it's possible someone with great power who has been spying on your life might have created the door to mess with you.
    Why not? I don't believe in ka but I believe in God.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy Mitchel is on a distinguished road Mitchel's Avatar

As for me, I really don't know if I would step through or not. I've always loved the magical idea of travelling to other worlds way back since reading the Narnia books as a kid, so I think I probably would. I'm also 34, single and unemployed* so there isn't a whole lot going on in my life (not that I'm miserable, but I'm at that age where I'm aware life is passing me by in many respects. Or rather I'm not grabbing it in the way I should.) and seeing such a door would make me think that maybe my life was saved for just such a destiny. On the other hand I'm a bit of a coward too, so I might just chicken out and continue on my way.

*Not to complain, I recently had a bit of temp work over Christmas, so I'm a bit better of than I've been in a while.
    Brainslinger,

The fact that you can be that honest with yourself impresses me... at least that's what came across in your post. You're clearly awesome.

I'm 30, married to a wonderful woman, and have a well paying career. But I'm also completely disenchanted with the whole planet and the state of everything in general. I'm also an arrogant prick and have a tendency to think I am somehow better than most other people, which is done as a defense mechanism to combat the disenchantment and sense of disconnection. Maybe, like Brainslinger, I'm not taking what I want out of life proactively enough.

That written, I'd never walk through the door without my wife, but anyone else I could leave behind easily... and definitely would.

Gunslinger Apprentice klio is on a distinguished road klio's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

only if i could use instant transmission like Goku.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Here's the situation though. You've read the Dark Tower series. Then you find a freestanding door. In that situation, wouldn't ka exists? Actually thinking about it, I guess not necessarily as it's possible someone with great power who has been spying on your life might have created the door to mess with you.
    This is, basically, what I wanted to say, and what perfectly sums up my three-year-long argument against ka you might remember from .net.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's a good point.

I just think that if Ka exists it would be just another word for God's will though. In fact, I don't think Ka could exist without God since ka suggests order by it's very nature. (I.e. to be destined suggests you've been pointed, right, which suggests someone is doing the pointing?) I'm not saying I believe in ka myself though. It's interesting though considering the implications of what finding a free-standing portal to another World would imply for who/what else is out there though. Especially if it were only Dark Tower readers who saw it.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    This is, basically, what I wanted to say, and what perfectly sums up my three-year-long argument against ka you might remember from .net.
    I do remember. I love ka arguments.

That's a good point.

I just think that if Ka exists it would be just another word for God's will though. In fact, I don't think Ka could exist without God since ka suggests order by it's very nature. (I.e. to be destined suggests you've been pointed, right, which suggests someone is doing the pointing?) I'm not saying I believe in ka myself though. It's interesting though considering the implications of what finding a free-standing portal to another World would imply for who/what else is out there though. Especially if it were only Dark Tower readers who saw it.
    Okay, let's go a little bit off topic.
    God's will. Ka. For me these two things are very far from each other.
    Ka forces things. It's said you cannot avoid it. It works and it doesn't matter what you want.
    God's will... I don't say it doesn't exist. But for me... it's like... a soft whisper in your ear (or in your heart). Yes, like that.
    Ka is like a path you must step on. Must must must. God's will is like a whisper in your ear.. you may notice it you may not. You may follow it you may not.

If I found a door in the middle of my room tonight I wouldn't be sure God wants me to go. I would be given a choice. No more no less.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
    -- 1 Corinthians 10:12-13

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if a door were to appear before me some day, after scientific testing to make sure it was real ( trying to walk through it when closed, with my eyes shut) i'd be through it in a second...after returning home for my gunna first though.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, let's go a little bit off topic.
    God's will. Ka. For me these two things are very far from each other.
    Ka forces things. It's said you cannot avoid it. It works and it doesn't matter what you want.
    God's will... I don't say it doesn't exist. But for me... it's like... a soft whisper in your ear (or in your heart). Yes, like that.
    Ka is like a path you must step on. Must must must. God's will is like a whisper in your ear.. you may notice it you may not. You may follow it you may not.
    That makes a lot of sense. I guess what I would say is that if (and I mean if) ka existed it would be God's will. But I'd accept God's will wouldn't necessarily by ka. (That looks like a contradiction. What I basically mean is that I think God would be required to create ka, but whether he would choose to is another thing.) I.e. as you say he rarely forces a person to do his will, and ka does seem to do that in the books.

If I found a door in the middle of my room tonight I wouldn't be sure God wants me to go. I would be given a choice. No more no less.
    Good point. I agree. I was really just throwing out the idea of the existence of ka and the door as something to think about rather than something definite. (Heh, I mentioned another possibility myself.) Some of my posts turn into a bit of a stream of consciousness as new thought and arguments will occur as I think of them.

As for whether or not I believe in ka, I honestly don't know. I think there are some things that might happen no matter what I choose, some things God has set in stone, if you like (at least in the future of the world, if not my own personal destiny), but personal choices can change a lot. In the world(s) of the books though, I'd say ka definitely exists.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think if there is a god all things are set in stone and that doesn't mean that you don't have freewill or whatever you wish to call it; just that whatever god there is knows and has known all along the choices you will make and the circumstances involved in and resulting from those choices. I think god or not, there is no ka...no destiny...only possibilities.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

back to topic? I mean, if we start discussing free will here, the thread will have to be renamed, and it is a good thread.

Country
    Country Flag

back to topic? I mean, if we start discussing free will here, the thread will have to be renamed, and it is a good thread.
    Okay, you are right Jean but I feel ka and free will belong to this question very much, But there is the point so let's go back to the root of the topic.

Country
    Country Flag

ka and free will belong to any question, my love...

Country
    Country Flag

ka and free will belong to any question, my love...
    Hm, I could argue with that but that would be off-topic, wouldn't it?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I would open the door and want to see Blaine so I could riddle with him until my untimely, high-speed death.

(staples this post to the chicken.)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No one answered my question: do you have to step through the door the moment you see it or does it follow you like it does Roland? That'd give me a lot of time to think about my options!

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no question .......run through that bitch....this life sucks ...i wish i had a cause to work for

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    No one answered my question: do you have to step through the door the moment you see it or does it follow you like it does Roland? That'd give me a lot of time to think about my options!
    If we follow the same rules as the Dark Tower books then I don't think the door would follow you this side. I think it only follows you the other side once you've already stepped through it, as long as it's left open. Which is still a factor of course, as you could always jump back if you don't like what you find.

However, the question of the thread is "If you found a door would you step through?", the subtext being you don't know what will be the other side, including whether or not the door will remain with you.* (That's how I see it, anyway.) You have to take that chance in the first place.

*Well, ok, you should see the landscape through the door once you have opened it, but thats only one direction and anything could be hiding on the other side, in the Mid-world** equivalent of where you're standing!

**Assuming it is Mid-World. It could be anywhere!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    You've read DT. Then one day on your way to work, you find a door just free standing like the ones on the beach. You open it and find it looks on to some scene from DT - anything which you'd recognize - doesn't matter what exactly. Question is, do you go through? You don't know the door will remain there after you've gone through. Consider it carefully.
    Seems to imply that we can choose a scene for ourselves. Like, is there anything in the story that you would want so much to change that you'd be willing to risk yourself?

I mean, if you believe, having read DT, that every single thing worked out as well as possible, then, by adding yourself into it, how could you find any cause to work for? IMO, S. King already did a pretty good job of playing God there. If we're to decide what should be changed, that's a hard decision. It's no wonder that we turned to more fundamental questions about making decisions in general. Letti is right; this totally begs the question of ka.

Country
    Country Flag

Whoops. A while since I read that, I forgot the second sentence there. Mind you, both scenarios are interesting food for thought.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure. And I certainly didn't mean to stop the thread. I was kind of hoping that Mitchel would re-appear and clarify.

Alright, how 'bout this...
    DT, Vol. VII

Traveler Aylania is on a distinguished road Aylania's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If such a door appeared, I am afraid I would have no choice. They don't appear to everyone, and when they do, it means the one is chosen; I also expect he/she/I would have known it some time before the door appeared, so there wouldn't really be any question.
    I have to agree. Why else would the door show itself if not to be a gateway for the one chosent to go through it? If it were me, I'd definitely go through

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I would walk through without a minute of hesitation. I am so adventurous that I could burst.

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default I wouldn't go through

but for an odd reason. I wear contacts and do not have glasses. The chances that i would come upon the door wearing glasses rather than contacts are near zero. I can't go into Roland's world and end up not being able to see anything. I'd want to be a gunslinger if I went to his world and my eyesight would be a major setback, not allowing me to be a gunslinger. If I had perfect eyesight, I would walk right through without a second thought. I know his world is difficult and tough, but it is an adventure. On the one hand, I could sit at a desk and write software forever. On the other, I could be a gunslinger, fighting my way to the dark tower with Roland Deschain. It's a no brainer for me. If my eyes worked, I'd go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2