Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 102 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2550

Thread: Under the Dome Collecting Discussion

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, I went to the NYC event last night and it was GREAT. Sat in the 3rd row with all of my DT friends (Ari and companions, Gris and wife and Mark Stutzman). The stage was SO CLOSE, King was like 15 feet away is all.

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

He also said that a sequal to Black House is still in the works (known info), but also he has always wondered what happened to Danny Torrence. He'd be about 40 now, says King....

Signed books went as follows. As we stood in line, each of us picked from a huge deck of Ryder playing cards. If you got a regular card (Ace-King) you got a signed book at the end. If you drew a blank card, you could stand in line after everyone else got their books for any that were left. I got a 7 of clubs and a blank card (my son bailed on me cause of homework and the new Call of Duty 6 video game that came out!). I waited 45 minutes after the show, got my signed book and returned to the line again, waited (much shorter) and there were still books available, but they would only sell me two more (so 3 in total). Ari and Gris went back and got more books too, as did others. All sold out in the end.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic!!!! New Dt books

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK. This rankles my fur. Here is a guy supposedly with 7 copies of last night's book. Unless he bought books off people outside the venue (there were vultures out there, so someone told me), then I don't see how this guy has so many. All people who purchased books walked past the others in line. Didn't see anyone loaded with 70 pounds of books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-sig...item45ef340126

Several on eBay from $199-$350.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Good Morning America interview was great! If you guys didn't see it go over to ABCnews.com and check it out.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He also said that a sequal to Black House is still in the works (known info), but also he has always wondered what happened to Danny Torrence. He'd be about 40 now, says King....

Danny Torrence at 40 years old? The Shining II? That is interesting.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz67 View Post
    Hi there. I have just been announced as the winner of Hodder's Under The Dome promotion in the UK. As discussed previously on the thread the prize was a limited edition printer's proof of Under the Dome which arrived yesterday by courier see here. It has no cover art is in a protective plastic case and is numbered 16/200. In addition the map at the front of the book isn't there, although there is a placeholder saying 'map to come'. I have now put it in a very safe place away from the kids and will be buying a reading copy just to be on the safe side. I also gave an interview to The Guardian newspaper concerning the competition in general and Stephen King.
    Zardoz67, it appears that what you won was one of the 200 Advance Readers Copies issued by Hodder & Stoughton. Is yours personalized in any way? I have copy #143 of the 200.

I liked your interview!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You haven't completed your Under The Dome collection until you've grabbed this :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stephen-King-Unde...item335759bbf8

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

But what do you pack it in?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have one of those. I also have an extra original shipping box for the S/L UTD.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    OK. This rankles my fur. Here is a guy supposedly with 7 copies of last night's book. Unless he bought books off people outside the venue (there were vultures out there, so someone told me), then I don't see how this guy has so many. All people who purchased books walked past the others in line. Didn't see anyone loaded with 70 pounds of books.

I'm sure that's exactly what he did...

You, Ari and Gris walked out with 9 books between you, right? He probably had a couple guys with him, then maybe bought a couple more on the street. You guys actually got more than he did, so...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK, I went to the NYC event last night and it was GREAT. Sat in the 3rd row with all of my DT friends (Ari and companions, Gris and wife and Mark Stutzman). The stage was SO CLOSE, King was like 15 feet away is all.

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

I was there also. I tried to get in touch with Gris, but unfortunately couldn't. That's okay, because the event was amazingly cool. One other tidbit that King shared was that Under the Dome is going to be a miniseries on HBO. I'm not sure if he said that jokingly, or for real, but it sounded to me like the truth. If so, this is the first I'm hearing about this, and I think it would be great. Perhaps it could work as a test whether HBO would like to try The Dark Tower next.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What REALLY bothers me about his auction is that he's actively lying about the provenance of the books. Unannounced signing at Borders my aching ass. It leads me to think he got one signed book (used for the picture) and has forged the other six.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

What REALLY bothers me about his auction is that he's actively lying about the provenance of the books. Unannounced signing at Borders my aching ass. It leads me to think he got one signed book (used for the picture) and has forged the other six.
    I'm over a thousand miles away from NYC and have no idea what occurred last night but I think it is possible that King could have signed some copies at Borders prior to the event. He has done that before and quite often at the Barnes & Noble store in Sarasota. The book being auctioned has one of those "autographed copy" stickers like bookstores use. Did the books from the signing/lecture last night have those stickers?

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

One signed trade sold for $249 last night.

I am going to tell all of you right now that anyone who pays more than $150 for a signed trade is a chump (yeah, I know that is a bit harsh).

The market is going to be flooded with signed copies (both trade and SL).

Between the bad economy and the surplus copies, it is going to be a buyer's market on this title.

Hell, there are 23 auctions right now for signed copies!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

So David, are you saying that everyone who wanted a signed book got one?

It sounds like you are saying that you got three books, and you only had two tickets......so I assume that they sold you a third book because there were extras left over?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Traveler Zardoz67 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Hi there. I have just been announced as the winner of Hodder's Under The Dome promotion in the UK. As discussed previously on the thread the prize was a limited edition printer's proof of Under the Dome which arrived yesterday by courier see here. It has no cover art is in a protective plastic case and is numbered 16/200. In addition the map at the front of the book isn't there, although there is a placeholder saying 'map to come'. I have now put it in a very safe place away from the kids and will be buying a reading copy just to be on the safe side. I also gave an interview to The Guardian newspaper concerning the competition in general and Stephen King.
    Zardoz67, it appears that what you won was one of the 200 Advance Readers Copies issued by Hodder & Stoughton. Is yours personalized in any way? I have copy #143 of the 200.

I liked your interview!

John
    Thanks John. The interview came out of the blue and I spoke to the Guardian journalist for a good 15 minutes and by some miracle was not misquoted. To be honest it sounded like she was a fan as well. Glad they left the Dickens bit in as that is what I truly believe. Charles Dickens wrote for the masses, it's only now considered literature. In 100 years Stephen King will be the same.

As for the book, what is an advanced readers copy? Was it sent out to proof readers prior to publication? It's in such pristine condition that I would be surprised if it's been read before. It was sent to me as a 'limited edition printer's proof' (PR speak?) and not personalized in any way other than the 16/200 on the inside cover. Is it worth anything? Not that I want to sell it but I would be interested to know. I also won a 4* hotel stay so can't complain...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to TDT.com, Zardoz. Congratulations on your win! Please make yourself at home and jump into any discussion at hand. Note that once you hit a low "5" posts, more member abilities will open to you. There is a thread here that discusses ARCs, Proofs, etc. and their definitions.

David, thanks for sharing the story of last night. Sounds like a great night!

Clacke, thanks for posting that eBay link, I needed the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dawg View Post
    Tomas, does CD's announced plans for a slipcase/traycase change your plans at all? If I know that there are going to be Collector slipcases for sale, I will wait and buy AT LEAST one for sure. Otherwise I may take my chances and order a traycase from CD.
    Hey folks,

I saw the CD announcement yesterday as well. I was surprised. Willie summed it up pretty well.

Originally Posted by willie3 View Post
    Now let me get this straight...

CD claims all their books will be delayed until after the first of the year (read July) because their slipcase and traycase manufacturer went out of business owing CD money, and the new manufacturer is not set up to handle CD's volume.

Now CD is soliciting slipcases and traycases that they have already said they cannot deliver in a timely manner.
    Now I'm not here to start bashing CD, it's possible that they will actually produce 3 different cases for all editions of the book. And when I have seen a case produced from them (FAB8, SOC) the cases have been very well put together. Their customer list is large so I'm sure some folks who would otherwise buy from me will go with CD.... That's fine I make the cases because I see a need and I fill it. Plus I really enjoy designing these things and seeing them come to life.

I had already been taking about a case before CD's announcement went out; so I sent out my own newsletter last night. And enough people indicated interest that I will be making a case

I can't make 2 seperate slipcases and a traycase like CD is offering. I just don't sell enough of these to be able to spread out like that.

Personally I feel that since this is a less elaborate edition then most, a simpler slipcase would be appropriate. Simpler doesn't mean I'm banging out cheap cloth over some chipboard. This will be another high quality case, but it will be a slipcase, and it will sell for under $30. I'm expecting the case will be ready to ship to everyone sometime in January.

The one thing that CD's announcement will force me to do is have a pre-sale. Since I'm not sure how many people will be ordering from them I'm going to need to give the bindery a firm number of cases to produce ahead of time, instead of guessing based on past orders.

More details will come as the design gets finalized and these get available for presale.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a geeky aside, if you got the book at Wal-Mart for $8.98, you paid 0.0083612662942272 cents per page.

However, if you went with Amazon, and their price of nine bucks even, you paid significantly more, a whopping 0.0083798882681564 cents per page.

Must be the deal of the century. Or, like, ever.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update, Tomas. I'm sure the CD announcement complicates things a bit. Hopefully it's gratifying to know that you've got a lot of support from this collector base. We're all familiar with the quality of your work and your ability to get things done in a reasonable timeframe.

In terms of your slipcase, will you go with concept of the card case behind or above the book but in the same space? Or have you decided on that aspect yet?

This is just my opinion, but I have concerns about storing the complete package (book and card case) that way, mainly because of the risk of dinging something up a bit in there - either the book, dj or case.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

In terms of your slipcase, will you go with concept of the card case behind or above the book but in the same space? Or have you decided on that aspect yet?

This is just my opinion, but I have concerns about storing the complete package (book and card case) that way, mainly because of the risk of dinging something up a bit in there - either the book, dj or case.
    I second that.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As for the book, what is an advanced readers copy? Was it sent out to proof readers prior to publication? It's in such pristine condition that I would be surprised if it's been read before. It was sent to me as a 'limited edition printer's proof' (PR speak?) and not personalized in any way other than the 16/200 on the inside cover. Is it worth anything? Not that I want to sell it but I would be interested to know. I also won a 4* hotel stay so can't complain...
    Yes, it is worth some decent money. As it said, there are only a maximum of 200 copies out there.

As for the definition of proof/ARC, here's an article I had published on a book collecting site. The first part of the article discusses the exact issue:

http://www.hyraxia.com/the-newspaper...ohn-hanic.html

(And welcome to this site!)

John

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thanks for the update, Tomas. I'm sure the CD announcement complicates things a bit. Hopefully it's gratifying to know that you've got a lot of support from this collector base. We're all familiar with the quality of your work and your ability to get things done in a reasonable timeframe.

It is VERY gratifying.

Once the bindery gets the books they'll be able to give me a better idea but as I see it, the easiest thing would be to just make the case a little deeper so you can put the cards behind the book, or taller to hold it as is...Or just have folks put the pack of cards above the slipcase on the shelf.

It would probably be a little wierd to have some sort of small secondary holder attached to the side of the case - and expensive to make.... But like I said I won't have that finalized untill the bindery sees what they're working with.

I am open to any ideas at this point.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    So David, are you saying that everyone who wanted a signed book got one?

It sounds like you are saying that you got three books, and you only had two tickets......so I assume that they sold you a third book because there were extras left over?
    Correct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 102 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast